Spyder Garage

Default 09 GS oil light on and res full bad grinding from engin

Anyone know why my oil light would come on and then start to studder have a grinding noise from fron front I checked res and its full to almost overflowing let cool a bit went back down was able get home but bad grinding noise ?

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default THIS ISSUE

Quote Originally Posted by Sun-_-Dragon View Post
    Anyone know why my oil light would come on and then start to studder have a grinding noise from fron front I checked res and its full to almost overflowing let cool a bit went back down was able get home but bad grinding noise ?
    QUOTE - " res full to almost overflowing " .... I think you may have 3 or more Quarts of EXTRA oil above the FULL level .... that may have caused some issues ..... the " bad grinding noise ",. maybe the clutch plates have begun to disintegrate .... sorry but ti could a lot of different causes ..... but all that excess oil isn't helping anything....Mike

Spyder Garage

Default Curious. ....🤔

Oil light is for the oil pressure. If you are referring to the oil tank and it is full that is way to much oil and should be coming out somewhere. Check oil according to the manual..level ground hot engine between the add and full marks on the dipstick. If the pressure is the problem then your top end is not getting any oil and could be what your hearing. I'm assuming a lot but not sure where the noise is coming from....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Oil level was perfect before going out it was when I checked that it was way over full when lights came on

Spyder Garage

Default OVER FULL OR ????

Oil level was perfect before going out it was when I checked that it was way over full when lights came on
    #1......The Rotax engine does NOT produce or create OIL ......................#2,, Are you sure you know HOW to check the OIL level ?????? ...Mike

Spyder Garage

If it is down on power, you may have cooked the rings.

Just sayin'............
    Three in the garage, and I think I can fit at least one more in.....and then we will have to build another garage.
    The roads in NY are so bad that I am glad we bought a Ryker Rally

Just sayin'............

Spyder Garage

If the oil level was up to the FULL mark when the engine & oil was cold & you hadn't run it for 10-30 mins or so immediately beforehand & then let it idle down for the appropriate period before shutting down & checking the level, then it's very likely you had waay too much oil in it!!

And that means it's no wonder the engine is making grinding noises, you've probably had non-compressible oil force its way past seals & rings or valves etc & into the cylinders full of moving pistons, & so may have done some 'engine re-building' or 'block cracking' damage!

If the oil level was between low & full when you last checked it AFTER ryding & idle down period (so probably showing NO oil when you checked the level cold) then you might want to check your coolant level too - a cracked head or leaking gasket could let coolant into the oil galleries, but that usually shows up as whitish brown foaming sludge!!

I hope it's not as bad as either, but it certainly doesn't sound too good!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-29-2017 at 04:46 AM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Let's help the poor bloke with relevant info, not make him feel like a fool.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ght=pump+drive

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...k+shards+metal
    The best substitute for brains & knowledge is....................silence.

Spyder Garage

Thank you
    fist off I checked oil at operational temp before filling and level was on mark the oil level only increased after it faulted to low oil light and me pulling over to inspect it i took it as something blocked as well so let it sit for bit cool down the oil then went back down i then tryed to continue to make my way home since lights and no errors were gone shifted into ger all was well first second then i started to hear grinding like a bad break pad so stopped checked pads all good i then continued first secon good then grinding again let off and crawled back
    since reading all the posts I figured it had be pluged screen so i did an oil change pulled smaller screen all clear pulled large one and was covered in fine shavings small like sparkles not shure from what my guess is clutch anyway cleaned up screen and completed oil change i then went out for test i got past second shifing fine then second and third all ok continued for bit then grinding noise returns no oil light

Spyder Garage

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news SD but your unfortunate experience is a rare (thankfully) and costly one sadly. It is unreasonable and annoys me no end when folks start making someone with a problem look like an idiot by guessing and/or blaming the owner instead of providing something useful.

As you would have read, that sparkly stuff you found belongs inside the engine not inside the filter. I doubt it's from the clutch. Good luck with it - keep us posted. It's curious that the oil light did not show again but the damage had already been done.
    Last edited by Freddy; 08-31-2017 at 07:28 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default 09 GS oil light

My only thoughts are how many miles on the bike, hours on the motor, and has the screen in the oil tank ever been cleaned????
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Default OWNER - BLAMING !!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
    Sorry to be the bearer of bad news SD but your unfortunate experience is a rare (thankfully) and costly one sadly. It is unreasonable and annoys me no end when folks start making someone with a problem look like an idiot by guessing and/or blaming the owner instead of providing something useful.

As you would have read, that sparkly stuff you found belongs inside the engine not inside the filter. I doubt it's from the clutch. Good luck with it - keep us posted. It's curious that the oil light did not show again but the damage had already been done.
    QUOTE - " that sparkly stuff you found belongs inside the engine not inside the filter " That could sound pretty darn Snarky IMHO ........ but people have a tendency to see things in others that they won't / can't / refuse to see in themselves ...... Mike

Spyder Garage

Default i am wondering -- again

if the cycle shifts good in 1st and 2 nd gear , then the grind noise hits , in other gears , it does sound like the clutch bands are eating each other , { I bet it kind of sounds like --- garrrrrggggccccc --- or the hard shift noise when going into the gears at take off .... o-kay I did adlib a bit for the noise } wonder if you could : with the cycle off not running , slip the cycle into 3 rd or 4 th even 5th gear and get a little push too see if you could hear where the sounds might be more defind - left side right side , more near the clutch box area , or front of engine ? I haven`t been on the s-e 5`s so I do not know if this is possible ... { another thought , is the oil a light brown not the dark coffee color ? if so it might be a head gasket blown , and like one of our folks on top mentioned , it might have cooked a cylinder ... } BUT do not flip out yet , find the cause , and then take a long look at , { possible trade in .... some time a dealer might do this } just thinking with you .... let us know if you have any other clues yet ! ----- good luck our friend

Spyder Garage

Good point BK so apologies to OP if s/he reads it that way. S/he certainly has enough to worry about.

Apologies also to one and all if any get hurts feeling but - the best substitute for brains (and dumb suggestions/advice/guesses) is.......... silence.

There, rant over in short order.

Spyder Garage

Default Conclusion to the grinding noise

Well turns out I had a drive bearing disintegrate leaving fragments of bearing grinding apart my cylinders and pistons sadly its probably the most costly thing to happen as the engine needed a compleat rebuild needles to say I'm back up and riding

Quote Originally Posted by youngers View Post
    if the cycle shifts good in 1st and 2 nd gear , then the grind noise hits , in other gears , it does sound like the clutch bands are eating each other , { I bet it kind of sounds like --- garrrrrggggccccc --- or the hard shift noise when going into the gears at take off .... o-kay I did adlib a bit for the noise } wonder if you could : with the cycle off not running , slip the cycle into 3 rd or 4 th even 5th gear and get a little push too see if you could hear where the sounds might be more defind - left side right side , more near the clutch box area , or front of engine ? I haven`t been on the s-e 5`s so I do not know if this is possible ... { another thought , is the oil a light brown not the dark coffee color ? if so it might be a head gasket blown , and like one of our folks on top mentioned , it might have cooked a cylinder ... } BUT do not flip out yet , find the cause , and then take a long look at , { possible trade in .... some time a dealer might do this } just thinking with you .... let us know if you have any other clues yet ! ----- good luck our friend

Spyder Garage

Well turns out I had a drive bearing disintegrate leaving fragments of bearing grinding apart my cylinders and pistons sadly its probably the most costly thing to happen as the engine needed a compleat rebuild needles to say I'm back up and riding
    Sorry to hear how serious your problem was and was likely very expensive. Thanks for telling us what the problem was and how it turned out.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Glad you are back up and riding. Hope all goes well for many miles. Was anybody able to give you a reason as to what caused this to happen?

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze