3 75.00%
  • bad

1 25.00%
  • terrible

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    Spyder Garage

Exclamation 2008 GS Spyder front spline and pulley problem

Hello all: I am new here and I own a 2008 GS Spyder 5 speed and I have been through 4 pulleys now and now the front pulley spline is toast!

The last pulley BRP put on was in July of 2017 and and now the shaft where the front pulley sits on is done! Can anyone and everyone with a 2008/09 GS model reply here with similar stories be it Canada or USA, I am in AB
    My bike does have 80,000 km but still I have read of the problems with the spline and pulleys

Spyder Garage

Default 2012 RS...not in this

I did have and heard many had problems with the engine sprocket bolt coming loose. There was also a front sprocket change along the way. I know you need to change that bolt when replacing the sprocket. There was also a belt tension change but mostly affected the rear wheel and countershaft berings but if those go the sprockets will also suffer. Things to consider....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I'm not in Canada or USA but I've had my GS from new. At the time I had read of the front pulley trouble so I bought a new bolt (comes with thread locker on it) as they were not torqued adequately on the assembly line. I fitted it and torqued it to 110 ftlb which iirc, was about 15% greater than the new spec after I determined that a bolt of that spec could actually take a higher torque . It's been perfect since, now on 85,000km. If there was any damage to the spline simply fitting a new pulley is not a permanent fix - unless the pulley is welded to the shaft and I've seen one report of that over the years.

I believe that the same failure and damage has reappeared on some F3s.
    The best substitute for brains & knowledge is....................silence.