Spyder Garage

Default Anyone own both a Spyder and a Polaris Slingshot?

I'm torn between the two, although I admit that I haven't driven either. I'm hoping that next spring will finally find a new ride in my garage. I'm curious to see what people think of the two in comparison to each other.

Spyder Garage

Default two

you DRIVE a Slingshot, and you RIDE a SPYD3R....
    the Slingshot is an awesome vehicle, but it's a 3 wheeled CAR... you know; steering wheel, clutch, brake & gas pedals... floor shift, etc... and you sit INSIDE with your partner on your right side... whereas, a SPYD3R is a motorcycle, 3 wheels, but still a motorcycle... you know: handle bars, hand throttle, you sit ON it, with your partner behind and all the other etc you can come up with...
    just try'n to help you with your decision process.... your choice; a car or a motorcycle....
    Dan P
    SPYD3R

Spyder Garage

I agree with Spyd3r. It's the difference between driving and riding, between sitting in or sitting on, between handle bars and a steering wheel. The Slingshot is a modern Morgan Three-Wheeler if you will, although the Morgan is much cooler in my humble opinion (and still available to buy).

There's also a rather significant difference in cargo capacity. The Spyder RT has a front trunk, a rear trunk, and two hard "saddle" bags where as the Slingshot has, well, nothing in the way of storage at all. The Spyder is also designed to tow a trailer, OEM or after market, but I haven't figured out how one could be towed by a Slingshot.

We ran across a traveler in a Slingshot at Mesa Verde, Colorado, last May whose three wheel adventure had begun in Virginia. When I asked where he stowed his luggage he pointed to the passenger seat and foot well. When I asked what he did when it rained, he said he got wet. The only other drawback I can think of is that enough rain will cause the cockpit to fill like a bathtub.

Lastly, when I opened the current issue of Motorcycle Consumer News this afternoon I found two NHTSA recalls notifications pertaining to the Slingshot. #17V357000 concerns brakes, hydraulics, and traction control and pertains to 2015-2017 vehicles, while # 17V158000 concerns steering and pertains to 2017 models.

We own two Spyder RT models and zero Slingshots, although we've sat in the latter. With an artificial hip it's something of a chore to get into and out of the Slingshot. It's much easier to climb aboard and dismount a Spyder. My two cents for what it's worth. Cheers.
    2012 2012 RT-L and 3015 RT-S , 2012 - red and 2015 black (way too black)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NonTypicalCPA View Post
    I'm torn between the two, although I admit that I haven't driven either. I'm hoping that next spring will finally find a new ride in my garage. I'm curious to see what people think of the two in comparison to each other.

The Spyders are a ton of fun, and I wouldn't trade mine for the world, but if you're really looking at autocycles, I'd skip the Slingshot altogether and look at the Vanderhall Venice... The Slingshot is just to common now for my liking.
    Just another crappy day in Paradise....Aloha!

Spyder Garage

Plus 2 for the Vanderhall. When I reach 90 yrs young thats what I want. Good luck and enjoy whatever you decide on. Bob
    900 Ryker Wifes

Spyder Garage

A test drive of each is in your future. To much money involved to let others give you the "sell."

SS gets about a 50/50 like/dislike on here.

Most of us favor . Wonder why?

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Along the lines of saying the Slingshot is like a car, it is bigger than some cars. In my 1 car garage I have a workbench and lots of tools, tool cabinets, and gear lining the walls and 2 scooters and 2 motorcycles (1 being the Spyder) tucked inside. If I had a Slingshot, only that would fit.

I sat in one at the Auto Show and was surprised how you have to maneuver to wedge yourself in the driver's seat. I'm 6' 190 and I felt fat in there with the frame pressing against my side. No storage for even an overnight bag in a vehicle of that size is a deal killer in itself.

Spyder Garage

I have a Harley Road King and a 2014 RTS. Love riding on two wheels and endure riding on 3 so the wife will go along.
    2014 RTS SM6 , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Default SS vs Spyder

I bought my first Spyder, #610, off of a poster in a jet ski shop. Got it and never looked back.

I put a down payment on not one but two Slingshots. When they were ready for delivery I looked at the machines and walked away. It has all of the inconveniences of a motorbike and none of the upside. I could picture hot pieces of road debris landing all over me. Being that low in an open cockpit car struck me as terrifying. It was wider than a Corvette and probably lower. It would make one heck of a track car. If they ever start an SS racing league....

And I just bought a Corvette for about what a Slingshot would cost. With the top down, it is a lot more civilized.

Just my thoughts based on no practical experience.

Spyder Garage

I had one of the early slingshots. It was a very cool ride but drives like a very refined go cart.
    Very hot during the summer and very little cargo space behind the seats. If it didn't take up the space of a sports car I would probably have kept it. I'm lucky enough to have a few sports cars so I ended up not riding the slingshot much.

I recently purchased my first spyder (17 rt limited) and they are definitely not similar at all.
    I also don't thing the spyder rides like a motorcycle but reminds me of a very smooth snowmobile for the pavement.

As long as I am able I plan to keep my 2 wheel motorcycle also.

Variety is the spice of life!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by classicvw View Post
    Along the lines of saying the Slingshot is like a car, it is bigger than some cars. In my 1 car garage I have a workbench and lots of tools, tool cabinets, and gear lining the walls and 2 scooters and 2 motorcycles (1 being the Spyder) tucked inside. If I had a Slingshot, only that would fit.

I sat in one at the Auto Show and was surprised how you have to maneuver to wedge yourself in the driver's seat. I'm 6' 190 and I felt fat in there with the frame pressing against my side. No storage for even an overnight bag in a vehicle of that size is a deal killer in itself.
    I was going to say the same thing, no way we could fit one in our garage and when I sat in one I thought I'd need a crane to get back out of it. Way too low for me.

The Vandenhall's are pretty cool though
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

In addition to what has already been said about the SS vs. Spyder, the only things I/we can add is that the current SS is not as refined as the current(2014-2017) Spyders. The engine noise intrudes iexcessively nto the passenger compartment to the point where either earplugs or a helmet is/are a necessity. The other, salesman admitted, issue is the excessive belt noise at speed.
    Mike
    2021 Marsala Red Metallic RT Limited

Spyder Garage

I definitely would suggest you ride/drive both.... I really like my Spyder over the Slingshot. To me, the Slingshot is very low to the ground and very difficult to get into and out of and much more rough riding than a Spyder.. The Spyder is a motorcycle and the Slingshot is half of a car.
    BIG F

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bobnaquin View Post
    ... It would make one heck of a track car. If they ever start an SS racing league....
    Not quite a league but a Race of Champions all in Slingshots: https://www.youtube.com/embed/wOrn0sOIUn0?rel=0 Unfortunately, it's a marketing piece so it doesn't show much.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2013 RTS-SE5
    2003 Triumph Bonneville
    1970 BSA B25 Starfire

Spyder Garage

Lots of Slingshots here in Va, still rarely see a Spyder.

Personal opinion the Slingshot looks stupid having to wear a helmet in a 3 wheeled car.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by HIspyder View Post
    The Spyders are a ton of fun, and I wouldn't trade mine for the world, but if you're really looking at autocycles, I'd skip the Slingshot altogether and look at the Vanderhall Venice... The Slingshot is just to common now for my liking.

These guys still around?

Their site and Facebook doesnt work?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SNOOPY View Post
    These guys still around?

Their site and Facebook doesnt work?

https://vanderhallusa.com/
    Just another crappy day in Paradise....Aloha!

Spyder Garage

Tried that, link doesn't work for me for some reason.

Spyder Garage

I have a Spyder and a Slingshot. First, they are two different animals. I enjoy both, use the Spyder when riding with a group, Slingshot almost every day around town and on longer trips.

I totally disagree with a lot of the posts, especially regarding the ride and ease of entering and getting out. It rides very smooth, will out corner just about anything out there and a blast to drive. Mine has been super charged and puts out 309 HP and personally feel the ride is great considering what it is. I am over 70 years old, 6' and weigh 190, very easy getting in and out.

As as for the Vanderhall, two people and you are butting elbows, very tight fit.

My opinion with 25,000 Spyder miles and 7,000 on the Slingshot, love both, but again, two different rides.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My opinion is that if you want a motorcycle experience, get a Spyder. If you want a convertible car experience, get a Miata!

Of course, this is a Spyder forum. You may want to check out a Slingshot board and see what they say.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Think of the Slingshot as a sports car that has lost a wheel...

...and a Spyder as a motorcycle that has gained one!

But you can't make any kind of decision without trying them both. Good luck, and happy shopping!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default We have both! and we love them both!

We own Slingshot and Spyders, we ride them both. I don't think you can compare the 2, its a different machine.
    Spyder is like a motorcycle riding, and SS is like more like a sport car.
    I like them both as they are different.. both are COOL TOYS!