Spyder Garage

Default Stopping a Spyder

The topic on avoiding a close call has been closed ....... for good reason. I think however that the topic of Spyder brakes could still use some airing out. I have cut and pasted a post from that discussion
    then I want to follow up on it with your experiences.
    ASP 125 made the following observation

"For those of you who think Spyders stop well, do you have newer models or ones with the Brembo calipers? Asking because my 08 with stock brakes and pads, is just "MEH" at stopping. I often have to downshift to first and use engine braking in addition to the brake pedal to panic stop as fast as my two wheelers. (My Street Triple R can stop with two fingers and lift the rear tire if I grab a big handful of brake).

It's always felt that way, even when I step on the pedal hard enough to activate ABS; and the pads aren't glazed etc. Seriously thinking about braided stainless brake lines to eliminate that mushy pedal feel. .. that and flushing the fluid reservoir."

I have had similar experiences with my 2012 RT. The brakes felt mushy when I bought it from the 1st owner with 8500 miles on it. I saw in the owner manual that the fluid needed to be changed every 2 years or 14500 miles. At that mileage my Spyder was 5 years old and I was sure the fluid had never been changed. I took it to the dealer for that operation,because of the ABS. They changed it did everything. Brakes still felt mushy,returned to dealer re bled. Better but not great. At the end of the season I checked my rear brake found it to be worn out so put new pads all the way around. Better but still not as great as I would have hoped. This year after the dog incident while the dealer is putting the new bodywork on I have them check and bleed the system again. Tech says all is well and Spyder stops great. I think the pedal is still mushy. Like Bob stated elsewhere a double pump always made his brakes feel better. Same here,but there isn't always time for that second pump. What have any of you with pre Brembo brake systems done to improve your brakes? I already have the EBC pads from Baja Ron. Are your brakes mushy,do you get a better pedal from a second pump? What's up here?

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    The topic on avoiding a close call has been closed ... for good reason. I think however that the topic of Spyder brakes could still use some airing out. I have cut and pasted a post from that discussion
    This made me go back and read the former thread that was 'closed' for reason. Wow, I'm sure glad I wasn't following that! Humor is in the eye of the beholder; not everyone's sense of humor is the same. My dry British humor has fallen on jaded eyes plenty of times; now I try to use it only when I'm a) with people I know will appreciate it or b) with people whose reaction matters not a whit to me.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand. Mine is a 2014 so I've not experienced the mushy brakes of earlier, non-Brembo models. Seems like an important topic and one that lends itself to a DIY fix since dealers can only install what BRP has spec'd for the bike.

So, yeah - has anyone got experience putting after-market brakes on their pre-Brembo bikes? What parts - pads, rotors, both? What brand? Did you have to reprogram the VSS afterwards?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

I am just going to watch this go around.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member BoilerAnimal's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Hopefully, this thread won't get stopped!
    On the road again...........and forever young!

2013 RT-S SE 5

Yesterday is a cancelled check.
    Tomorrow is a promissory note.
    Today is cash.......spend it wisely.

Spyder Garage

Default Can help....

If you go with the rotors and pads of better quality it will improve your stopping. The steel braided lines would also help. Someone down the line did mention an outfit that had calipers etc. Just need to see how much you want to try. I do have the ebc semi sintered and they perform much better but I work a lot on defensive driving to try and avoid having to make those emergency stops....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

My '17 F3 came with stainless lines.
    As a part of learning the bike I have practiced emergency stopping several times. Have not seen a problem.
    That may change when a real-world experience comes up.
    EBC makes good pads, not sure if they have them for Spyders.

2017 F3, SM6-basic black, plain and simple

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    ... I do have the ebc semi sintered and they perform much better but I work a lot on defensive driving to try and avoid having to make those emergency stops....
    What is the model of EBC sintered? They seem to have three series for pads above the FA and X level.

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/OJUAAO...yv/s-l1600.jpg
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

Darn I just wasted 5 minutes of my life reading the closed thread.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    Darn I just wasted 5 minutes of my life reading the closed thread.
    Yeah, it got pretty bad - and way off topic
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Default Tested the stopping power

My wife and I stayed a little longer than we planned on in Peoria this afternoon so we could visit a little longer with our son, his wife and our youngest granddaughter. That meant that we would be making the last 20 minutes of the ride in the dark but after installing my "Joel the biker" LED headlights I wasn't too concerned.

Well, as luck would have it, we were about 7 miles from home when 2 deer came running out of a cornfield and headed for the road. And us! All I can say is I sure as he!! am glad that I put those LED lights in and man!, a Spyder can stop VERY quickly!!!

I was relieved to see that we weren't going to hit the deer but my wife leaned forward into my back pretty hard and the mini-van behind us started to look real big in the mirrors real quick! I'm glad that they were paying attention and that they weren't following too closely because it could have gotten ugly real fast.

The driver of the mini-van honked their horn but my wife and I don't know if it was at us or the deer! After we were back up to speed, they blew by us, so we kind of figured it must have been at us. Just glad for the better lights and for the even better brakes.

The rear brakes on our Spyder are Brembos and I assume that the fronts are too, although I don't know for sure.

2013 RT-S SE 5

Spyder Garage

For those of you with 2013 or newer you have the Brembo brakes so this is not an issue for you,but for those of us with earlier models with the BRP calipers it is or at least on the RT's. I would like to know if other models from 2008 to 2012 have the mush brake feel. I have the EBC pads from BajaRon.They do help but mushy is still there.Thank s to all who replied even if you have a 2013 or newer Spyder. Hope we have more replies.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Between the deer in the evening hours and the drunks on the road later, I just don't ride any of my bikes at night.

Spyder Garage

the brakes are not a problem to me, however having only a foot pedal is taking some getting used to.
    And it takes longer to use the rear pedal that it would a bar mounted brake.
    I would much prefer a handbrake. That is not a likely option though.
    I did come across this not inexpensive option.
    Just posting so you can see it's been done. Am hopeful it will be found interesting and not used as a platform for argument.
    http://www.isciride.com/product/hand-brake-system/

2017 F3, SM6-basic black, plain and simple

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by classicvw View Post
    Between the deer in the evening hours and the drunks on the road later, I just don't ride any of my bikes at night.

Same here. There are occasions though that are the exceptions to the rule and that is why I installed the LED headlights. I will say that if we still had the OEM headlights there would be a very good chance that we would have hit the deer last night. Between the better lights, the excellent brakes and being extra vigilant, I'm able to write about it and go riding today!

2013 RT-S SE 5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BoilerAnimal View Post
    Same here. There are occasions though that are the exceptions to the rule and that is why I installed the LED headlights. I will say that if we still had the OEM headlights there would be a very good chance that we would have hit the deer last night. Between the better lights, the excellent brakes and being extra vigilant, I'm able to write about it and go riding today!
    I hope you don't think I was judging you about night riding, just stating my personal feeling about ME doing it.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by classicvw View Post
    I hope you don't think I was judging you about night riding, just stating my personal feeling about ME doing it.

Not at all and I pretty much agree. Our night riding is rare and then only around town. Our town is a whopping 1100 population. 🙂

But it there are the times when you get caught out later or you bend the rules!

2013 RT-S SE 5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BoilerAnimal View Post
    Not at all and I pretty much agree. Our night riding is rare and then only around town. Our town is a whopping 1100 population. ��

But it there are the times when you get caught out later or you bend the rules!
    Yes of course. In my case, just my county has a population of 1MILLION. So probably a half million cars and trucks. IDK how many of them are out at night, but according to federal statistics, after 11PM about 1 in 43 vehicles are being operated by someone who's legally drunk. That's a lot of possible drunks just in my area.