Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Water intrusion problems causing DESS failure on post-2013 RTs - how common is this?

On another thread a member was alerting us to a problem he was having on his 2015 RT with DESS codes / inability to restart Spyder after driving through a rainstorm.

Another of the members alluded to the possibility this was not uncommon for 2014 and later models, where BRP made some changes to the computer module and wiring harness, making water intrusion more likely.

I'm wondering how common this is and whether I need to proactively do something to avoid incurring this issue with our two 2014 RTs on a future trip? So far, we have not encountered heavy rains on a trip (a benefit of living in the desert) but we plan to travel nationwide and will encounter wet driving conditions at some point, I'm sure.

Please post HERE on this thread if you have a 2014 or later RT and have;

1. experienced a DESS issue after riding in wet weather
    2. experienced a DESS issue but cannot tie it to water intrusion conditions
    3. ridden in heavy rain conditions and never experienced a DESS failure

Let's see if we can isolate this problem. Thanks.
    Last edited by UtahPete; 08-24-2017 at 01:38 PM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    bump
    Imo....the BRP Rep that was talking with Paul H. on this Forum should get on this thread and explain what the is going on with this. I have not had a problem yet , but have concerns about my 2017 RTS.

Very Active Member Fatcycledaddy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

2015 RTL ridden in some hellacious rain storms with nary a single problem. Not worried about it until a problem rears it ugly head, will fix it if and when!

Ride more, worry less!!

Are any of you not driving your cars because of the airbag recall, after all it happened on quite a few cars, so I am sure you need to worry about yours being affected!

If I were to worry about every issue that is ever posted on this site, I would never pull the Spyder out of the driveway for fear of not making it home. A lot of us are trying to demand that BRP respond to and fix something that the majority of the people have never had a problem with.

What a strange attitude we have about this.
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

On another thread a member was alerting us to a problem he was having on his 2015 RT with DESS codes / inability to restart Spyder after driving through a rainstorm.

Another of the members alluded to the possibility this was not uncommon for 2014 and later models, where BRP made some changes to the computer module and wiring harness, making water intrusion more likely.

I'm wondering how common this is and whether I need to proactively do something to avoid incurring this issue with our two 2014 RTs on a future trip? So far, we have not encountered heavy rains on a trip (a benefit of living in the desert) but we plan to travel nationwide and will encounter wet driving conditions at some point, I'm sure.

For those of you with post-2013 RTs, have you encountered any of these kinds of issues after driving through heavy rains (or a car wash )?
    A 2014 is really no different then a 2013 other than the 2013s had an issue with water intrusion in the fuse boxes. That was fixed with a warranty campaign. So the lessons learned obviously applied to 2014 and later models. Really since then there have been little mention of water problems.

Drive more worry less.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'd sure like to see anyone who has experienced this problem to post on here, so maybe we (and Can-Am) can measure just how big the problem is. Remember, post HERE on this thread if you have a 2014 or later RT and have;

1. experienced a DESS issue after riding in wet weather
    2. experienced a DESS issue but cannot tie it to water intrusion conditions
    3. ridden in heavy rain conditions and never experienced a DESS failure

Let's see if we can isolate this problem. Thanks.
    Last edited by UtahPete; 08-24-2017 at 01:33 PM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default DESS AND WATER ISSUES

For those of you with post-2013 RTs, have you encountered any of these kinds of issues after driving through heavy rains (or a car wash )?
    From personal experience and what has been discussed ( on a Thread that Deanna777 started ) here, I don't think water is an issue .... plenty of the complaints happened in ARIZONA it doesn't rain much there ...this DESS problem became an issue ....AFTER IT WAS ..." RE_DESIGNED " .... Think about it, the OLD model got rained on for plenty of YEARS and wasn't a problem ..IMHO this is another " MYTH " ( the water thing ) ............ I posted on another Thread ... the DESS problem mysteriously appeared AFTER - it was re-designed for the 2014 models .......end of story ..............Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 08-24-2017 at 09:56 PM.

Very Active Member ottawa-rider's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have ridden in the rain quite a few times, both downpours and light rain. Also, the Spyder (2014 RT) has been rained on while parked outside a number of time and I use the water hose to rinse it off after washing.

I have yet (touch wood) to experience the DESS error.
    2018 RT LTD , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=BLUEKNIGHT911;1294514]
    From personal experience and what has been discussed ( on a Thread that Deanna777 started ) here, I don't think water is an issue .... plenty of the complaints happened in ARIZONA it doesn't rain much there ...this DESS problem became an issue ....AFTER IT WAS ..." RE_DESIGNED " .... Think about it, the OLD model got rained on for plenty of YEARS and wasn't a problem ..IMHO this is another " MYTH " ( the water thing ) ............ I posted on another Thread ... the DESS problem mysteriously appeared AFTER - it was re-designed for the 2014 models .......end of story ..............Mike
    Mike, that's why I'm asking for those with RTs 2014 and later to post whether or not they have experienced this issue in heavy rain conditions.

If you don't think it's related to water intrusion, then hopefully we will be hearing from those who have experienced the DESS issue with no known water intrusion from weather or bike wash.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=UtahPete;1294529]
    Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post

Mike, that's why I'm asking for those with RTs 2014 and later to post whether or not they have experienced this issue in heavy rain conditions.

If you don't think it's related to water intrusion, then hopefully we will be hearing from those who have experienced the DESS issue with no known water intrusion from weather or bike wash.
    Maybe that is why you are getting so many responses, because it is a common problem that we all have had.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I put my 2014 in conditions that warranted the use of a kayak : it never skipped a beat!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=UtahPete;1294529]
    Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post

I have NOT had DESS following heavy rain or washing, Pete, but I have a 2016 F3-L and it is generally accepted that BRP had sorted the issue by the release of the 2016 models.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=UtahPete;1294601]
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatcycledaddy View Post

Are you saying you have had a DESS problem after riding through the rain or what? Can you please respond to the OP question? Thanks.
    I did answer your question, see post three above. My comment was the fact that no one seems to have the issue that you're trying to research

Spyder Garage

Default Service bulletin info on fuse box covers and harness

Campaign no.: 2013–0015
    2013–0016
    January 23, 2014 Subject:Spyder™
    A - Seal the Front Fuse Boxes
    B - Update ECM Software
    C- Replace upper belt guard retaining
    screws
    No. 2013-9
    YEAR MODEL MODEL NUMBER SERIAL NUMBER
    2013 All All Search for your VIN in Knowledge Center
    More information at end of bulletin
    PROBLEM
    A - Seal the front fuse boxes
    Water may infiltrate either of the front fuse boxes.
    The source of the infiltration may be:
    1. The fuse box cover.
    2. The bus-bar connection behind fuse box
    3. Any of the wire splices behind fuse box.
    B - Update ECM software
    Code P1614 may be triggered and cause a limp
    home mode when starting the engine.
    The indicator lamp and message HI TEMP may ap-
    pear at engine startup, even if unit is at normal op-
    erating temperature.
    Engine heat felt by the driver may be uncomfort-
    able.
    C - Replace upper belt guard retaining screws
    Retaining screws may not secure the belt guard
    properly.
    SOLUTION
    1. Replace the fuse box covers.
    2. Apply liquid tape around base of bus-bar.
    3. Apply liquid tape into and around all splices be-
    hind fuse boxes.
    B - Update ECM with latest software
    Update ECM with latest software to correct the
    outlined problems.
    NOTE: Updating the software may slightly im-
    prove riders comfort from heat in some riding
    conditions. The portion of the update that ad-
    dresses uncomfortable heat felt by the driver is
    applicable to non-CARB vehicles only.
    The new screws will properly secure the belt
    guard.
    Printed in Canada. (rbg2013-014 en MS)
    ©2014 Bombardier Recreational Products Inc. and BRP US Inc. All rights reserved. 1 / 10
    ®™ and the BRP logo are trademarks of Bombardier Recreational Products Inc. or its affiliates.

Ride safe!
    2022 Sea-T0-Sky

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by taxmyzer View Post
    Campaign no.: 2013–0015
    2013–0016
    January 23, 2014 Subject:Spyder™
    A - Seal the Front Fuse Boxes
    B - Update ECM Software
    C- Replace upper belt guard retaining
    screws
    No. 2013-9
    YEAR MODEL MODEL NUMBER SERIAL NUMBER
    2013 All All Search for your VIN in Knowledge Center
    More information at end of bulletin
    PROBLEM
    Water may infiltrate either of the front fuse boxes.
    The source of the infiltration may be:
    1. The fuse box cover.
    2. The bus-bar connection behind fuse box
    3. Any of the wire splices behind fuse box.
    B - Update ECM software
    Code P1614 may be triggered and cause a limp
    home mode when starting the engine.
    The indicator lamp and message HI TEMP may ap-
    pear at engine startup, even if unit is at normal op-
    erating temperature.
    Engine heat felt by the driver may be uncomfort-
    able.
    Retaining screws may not secure the belt guard
    properly.
    SOLUTION
    1. Replace the fuse box covers.
    2. Apply liquid tape around base of bus-bar.
    3. Apply liquid tape into and around all splices be-
    hind fuse boxes.
    B - Update ECM with latest software
    Update ECM with latest software to correct the
    outlined problems.
    NOTE: Updating the software may slightly im-
    prove riders comfort from heat in some riding
    conditions. The portion of the update that ad-
    dresses uncomfortable heat felt by the driver is
    applicable to non-CARB vehicles only.
    The new screws will properly secure the belt
    guard.
    Printed in Canada. (rbg2013-014 en MS)
    ©2014 Bombardier Recreational Products Inc. and BRP US Inc. All rights reserved. 1 / 10
    ®™ and the BRP logo are trademarks of Bombardier Recreational Products Inc. or its affiliates.
    That warranty campaign was for 2013 models only.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

This seems to be the consensus so far. I wonder what that other thread was all about then?
    I believe that there was a person who had a DSS problem and thought that a water issue caused it. There is a separate thread all about the DSS issues that people have and I believe that it was a module redesign issue that caused the errors.

I also know that there were some issues with water getting into the fuse box on some spyders and new seals were installed to solve that problem. Mine had a little water in the fuse box due to the cover being installed upside down. I reinstalled it the correct way and have had no leaks since.

I think that in a forum like this that when one person has a problem with his spyder and mentions it on the board, a lot of others think they are going to have the same problem, they jump on board and exasperate the issue when it might be a one time or one spyder event.

Hence the ride more and worry less phrase that Bob uses quite often. I will ride more and worry about issues that arise if and when they do. There are the obvious things that you can help to prevent breakdown like pretrip checks, and just knowing your spyder, but there are other things that are unforeseeable and no amount of worry will help with those.

Maybe it is just me, but after following this forum for two years, it appears that the people who ride the most and have the most miles on their spyders have the fewest complaints or problems. The ones with the fewest miles who ride the least have the most complaints and problems. JMHO and I may be off base after just being here two years. If I am I am sure that people will let me know.
    Last edited by Fatcycledaddy; 08-25-2017 at 02:15 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fatcycledaddy View Post
    I believe that there was a person who had a DSS problem and thought that a water issue caused it. There is a separate thread all about the DSS issues that people have and I believe that it was a module redesign issue that caused the errors.

I also know that there were some issues with water getting into the fuse box on some spyders and new seals were installed to solve that problem. Mine had a little water in the fuse box due to the cover being installed upside down. I reinstalled it the correct way and have had no leaks since.

I think that in a forum like this that when one person has a problem with his spyder and mentions it on the board, a lot of others think they are going to have the same problem, they jump on board and exasperate the issue when it might be a one time or one spyder event.

Hence the ride more and worry less phrase that Bob uses quite often. I will ride more and worry about issues that arise if and when they do. There are the obvious things that you can help to prevent breakdown like pretrip checks, and just knowing your spyder, but there are other things that are unforeseeable and no amount of worry will help with those.

Maybe it is just me, but after following this forum for two years, it appears that the people who ride the most and have the most miles on their spyders have the fewest complaints or problems. The ones with the fewest miles who ride the least have the most complaints and problems. JMHO and I may be off base after just being here two years. If I am I am sure that people will let me know.
    I appreciate this post. Thanks. I'm of the same opinion actually and was trying to flush out the complainants on the other thread to see if they really were on to something or not. At this point I'm thinking not. And, I'm going to ride more and worry less. Thanks again for your thoughtful response.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Default 2014 rt water in fuze box

I appreciate this post. Thanks. I'm of the same opinion actually and was trying to flush out the complainants on the other thread to see if they really were on to something or not. At this point I'm thinking not. And, I'm going to ride more and worry less. Thanks again for your thoughtful response.
    Engine light on with trake light then limp mode kicks in. Raining. Check oil, that was good thought to look at fuze box had water in it. Has there been any issue for the 2014 for this. Managed to get spyder home from spyder in the Ozark in limp mode at 58 miles for top speed, didn't have air compressor on this trip to try and blow it out. Drying out now and limp mode went off. Any one else ever have this issue. Seals look good, can they be too flat.? Someone said that we'd need to disconnect battery so computer could reset.

Spyder Garage

I have a 2014 RT and have not had any issues with rain. Been in a lot. Was at Spyderfest were we got 6in of rain in 3 days and other than I felt like a wet sponge, the bike had no problems.

Spyder Garage

We've never had an issue in the past & we've been through lots of rain too, so never expected to see water in the fuse box. Will investigate, did hear that since they did the frunk lock differently that might be the problem of a gap right above the box that got water in it.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Well, this past week I had a chance to see what happened to my 2014RT in a drenching rainstorm - twice. Rode a total of 3 hours in rain and the Spyder had no problems whatsoever.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Just turn the DESS off. Problem solved and this ill conceived system will not bother you again.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame