Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Oil leak or gravity?

I pulled into my garage and my bike started to smoke something fierce. I looked underneath and there was a small amount of oil over parts of the engine. I checked the dipstick and my level is fine but noticed my filler/dipstick tube was soaking wet with oil.

Earlier I had to hard brake locking up my tires and the ABS system kicked in. This is the first emergency braking I had to do with my F3s.

Here is my question: Can hard braking force enough oil out of the dipstick channel and down the side of the bike?

I called my dealer and I'm going to drop off my bike to have him inspect it. He said he does not know if hard braking can cause that. Too many trips coming up to smoke my way around. Thoughts anyone?

Spyder Garage

Never had a problem with oil.
    Never a spot or a drop.

AJ

Quote Originally Posted by Road-Kill View Post
    I pulled into my garage and my bike started to smoke something fierce. I looked underneath and there was a small amount of oil over parts of the engine. I checked the dipstick and my level is fine but noticed my filler/dipstick tube was soaking wet with oil.

Earlier I had to hard brake locking up my tires and the ABS system kicked in. This is the first emergency braking I had to do with my F3s.

Here is my question: Can hard braking force enough oil out of the dipstick channel and down the side of the bike?

I called my dealer and I'm going to drop off my bike to have him inspect it. He said he does not know if hard braking can cause that. Too many trips coming up to smoke my way around. Thoughts anyone?

2014 RT-S
    Akrapovic Exhaust & Cat Bypass
    Bajaron Sway Bar w/links / Sena SM-10/Garmin 660
    Comfort Seat w Adjustable Backrest
    Decals by Purple Harley / Magic Strobe
    Kuryakyn Black Widow Pegs Rivco Highway Brackets
    Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder
    FOBO / Spyder Cuff / XM Radio w MC Antenna

2014 RT/S , Black

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

My guess would be that the gasket at the dip stick tube needs to be replaced. My 2016 F3T had that issue. When I took it in for service, they replaced it under warranty.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It's probably a leaky gasket.
    I don't think that you could muster enough stopping force, to get the oil to climb that tube hard enough to pop the dipstick out of the way!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Happened on my Brand new F3 limited

Here is the deal, When I finished break in I ran the bike up to 7,000 rpm and smelled something right after. Upon inspection, I found oil had run down the filler tube from the cap.
    I returned to my garage and opened the throttle and I could see it pumping out from under the properly installed filler cap. My dip stick looked very full. On a hunch I sucked out about 3/4 of a quart. This got the reading down to about 2/3 in the target area. 400 miles later with many high revs, not a single drop.
    Take a flashlight, bend down so you can see the filler cap from below and rev the motor. If it happens to leak, remove some oil and repeat.
    Did you just get an oil change or top off your oil? Did you notice oil just after hard acceleration?
    I'm pissed as my dealer delivered my bike over filled with oil.

Spyder Garage

Default Interesting. ...🤔

Oil leaks are challenging. Oil leaking from the dipstick is usually associated will overfilling. Now you did mention oil elsewhere which coul be from the same place just spreading. I don't think an emergency stop would cause this unless the dipstick was not fully inserted. You could clean it all up and then see if you get any leaking and from where. If your oil level is still fine I would suspect a bit to much oil or very little leaked out...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I noticed when I checked my oil that it was full, maybe too full. I'm thinking it was too full and my hard braking and hot engine caused some oil to pour out and down to the engine. I'm going to clean it up, take it for a ride and see if it happens again......after I finish my morning coffee.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I just arrived home from my dealer. When his tech performed the oil change he slightly overfilled the oil level. Coupling that with a not so snug dipstick gasket resulted in my "leaking" oil condition. He removed a "tad" of oil and replaced the gasket and I was riding home in short order. Considering the speed at which this was resolved (and cost free) I'm saying this was not a problem. My thoughts.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I noticed when I checked my oil that it was full, maybe too full.
    During all of this did you figure out the proper way to check the oil ?
    There is no such thing as "maybe" too full.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for letting us know that the source of this "issue" was easy to find and fix!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    During all of this did you figure out the proper way to check the oil ?
    There is no such thing as "maybe" too full.
    Yes I did, I now use the "paper" method. Maybe I shouldn't have to use the "paper" method if Can-Am used a dipstick that you can see. I did not think after they did my oil change that a slightly high oil level could leak out the top but now I know.

Spyder Garage

Default One reason why I like to change oil myself..

I like to change the oil myself, and have a chance to look over things as well as get the proper 5 qts oil back in after the change for the 1330 SE6.

Changed the wifes F3T a couple of weeks ago at 10,000 miles, and was pleased with how easy the access was to all of the plugs and filter. With my 15 RT I was reminded yesterday how much tupperware and the lower shields required as well as my highway pegs. Since I also was changing the HCM filter at 29,000 it gave me a chance to get everything opened up and clean out the bugs, rocks and highway debris that somehow accumulate back in the crevices. Ill make sure I have check the oil after its up to temperature to get the remaining 8-10 oz of oil to account for the HCM.

Just for my curiousity I pried apart the old HCM filter and was pleased to see a pretty robust media as well as stainless screen. Thanks to BajaRon for the filters and o-ring kits I should be good for the Fall riding season and many more seasons I hope!DSCN2231.jpg
    07 Shadows, Aero, Spirit gone but not forgotten
    03 Harley Sportster, 07 RK moved on
    11 RT- 76,000 mi, 15 RT-S- 44,000 mi, traded for current 15 base RT and 16 F3T
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss

Spyder Garage

I just experienced the same thing on the Ryker Rally I bought yesterday, oil burning off muffler and dripping off bottom of bike. Dipstick area was not where mine was coming from though. Can't tell exactly but seems like somewhere near top left side of engine, maybe the crankcase breather? 65 mile ride home went fine but right after practicing hard turns in an empty lot I was surrounded by oil smoke as soon as I parked. I was doing some hard braking practice as well so that could be a factor. Or maybe the dealer over filled the oil.
    Dealer said not to ride and picked it up this morning.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

An old post of mine but what caused the oil "leak" was in fact a slightly overfilled oil level and a worn sealant gasket on the dipstick.
    My dealer did the oil change and corrected the mistake and in nearly two years since then I have had no other issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by Leadfoot View Post
    I just experienced the same thing on the Ryker Rally I bought yesterday, oil burning off muffler and dripping off bottom of bike. Dipstick area was not where mine was coming from though. Can't tell exactly but seems like somewhere near top left side of engine, maybe the crankcase breather? 65 mile ride home went fine but right after practicing hard turns in an empty lot I was surrounded by oil smoke as soon as I parked. I was doing some hard braking practice as well so that could be a factor. Or maybe the dealer over filled the oil.
    Dealer said not to ride and picked it up this morning.