Spyder Garage

Default Rear Tire sliding on sharp twisties

New tire, 28 lbs pressure, 2012 rt limited. Rear tire feels like it was starting to slide (jerk) on some sharp bends in the mountains.... what will cause it to do that. Never had the problem with my original tire...... My new tire is a Arachnid the new model that is supposed to be good.........
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Air pressure???

You might try lowering the tire pressure 6 PSI or so. I don't the capabilities of the tire you have but when I went to a General Altimax I am at about 20 PSI and it works great.
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Very Active Member BoilerAnimal's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

We've got a Yokohama Avid Touring S on our RT and we've settled on 20 PSI on all three tires. Handles great.
    On the road again...........and forever young!

2013 RT-S SE 5

Yesterday is a cancelled check.
    Tomorrow is a promissory note.
    Today is cash.......spend it wisely.

Spyder Garage

haven't seen ONE POST that is positive about Arachnid tires.

the tire "subject" ? is trampled to death on this forum,
    anyway...
    Flatlander, Navy Veteran, Widower
    Loved my 2014 RTS SE6 Pearl white
    but have a new love now,
    my 2017 RTS SE6 Champagne metallic (Champ)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Was that your first time out on the new tire? I've never had an issue sliding with any new tire on my Spyders but they warn motorcycle riders to take it easy for a few hundred miles on new tires.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Only time I have had have my rear tire break loose was due to gravel on the road or dirt/mud right after a rain. I do run 28 pounds in the rear tire. It is the OE tire.
    Current ride: 2013 Circuit Yellow ST-S SE5

Spyder Garage

Default Interesting. ...🤔

I am running the arachnid rear tire and at the same pressure as the oem it does break loose lot. I have not had it slide in the corners but dropped the pressure about 5lbs.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Anne's right: give them a chance to scuff off whatever they've been exposed to, before trying to find their limits.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Every new tire will be coated & impregnated with the mold release goop that they paint inside the tread mold before they do the last tread molding stage of tire manufacture so that they can get the tire out without damaging the tread sipes & grooves etc after the tread pattern is melted into the tread layer of rubber - and this goop is seriously slippery stuff, even if it's mostly wiped off!! Which is why, just like Ann said earlier, they strongly recommend that you exercise a little care & aim for smoooooth throttle, steering, & brake applications for about 3-500 miles or so after fitting new tires!

And yeah, it does take that long for the stuff to wear/scrub off - the only other 'non tire damaging' way to get it all off the tire properly is to shave a couple of millimetres or so of tread off the tire, & that'd be maybe 10-15,000 miles of potential tread wear you'd likely loose!!! For most, it's much easier just to drive a little carefully for a few weeks or so after fitting new tires, isn't it?!? If you really don't want to do that, you could stick your tires in an oven & cook them at about 200F for saaay 12 or so hours each (but that does tend to bake all the sticky stuff outta the tread compound & make the tire tread go permanently hard & inflexible & not much fun to drive on.... ever!! And it really pisses off the Missus too! ) OR you could ask your tire dealer about getting some 'on vehicle dynamic balancing including tread shaving' done - once you find someone with the right gear who can do that for you, it's not usually all that expensive, & it has the added advantage of not only removing the mold release goop but also makes the tire perfectly round, & balances it fantastically at the same time!! Many top end super expensive cars get this sort of tire treatment as a matter of course, but it's not all that common unless the vehicle has 6 or more '0's' after a 'number bigger than 3 or so'..... but it can be done!

Ps: just in case anyone missed it in amongst those earlier posts, Arachnid tires are pretty much just copies of the OE Spec Kendas for our Spyders, & as such, they are almost as good..... but then, since the Kendas are crap anyway....
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-22-2017 at 07:21 AM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ramrover View Post
    New tire, 28 lbs pressure, 2012 rt limited. Rear tire feels like it was starting to slide (jerk) on some sharp bends in the mountains.... what will cause it to do that. Never had the problem with my original tire...... My new tire is a Arachnid the new model that is supposed to be good.........

What caused it? Arachnid tires are crap. Possibly the only tire you could have chosen that could be WORSE than the cheap kenda its a copy of. Next time try a tire from a top tier tire manufacture rather than junk from third world countries. Quit looking for the cheapest black donut someone says will fit your bike.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ramrover View Post
    I've noticed the same thing on my F3T but thought either it must be my imagination since I never noticed it on my RTS . . . or because I stay in my seat more on the F3 in the twisties than I did on the RT. Maybe the RT did it too, but I never felt it.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    What caused it? Arachnid tires are crap. Possibly the only tire you could have chosen that could be WORSE than the cheap kenda its a copy of. Next time try a tire from a top tier tire manufacture rather than junk from third world countries. Quit looking for the cheapest black donut someone says will fit your bike.

That's a bit harsh. Some people want to replace their rear tire with a motorcycle rear tire, not a car one. As you well know there are only 2 to choose from (I think) the Kenda or the Arachnid

I've had both on mine & they gave no handling problems, but they wear out quickly. Used 28psi

I now have a Kumho on the rear. No handling problems & longevity to be determined. I use 19psi
    2008 GS SM5, Full Moon Silver
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oldgoat View Post
    That's a bit harsh. Some people want to replace their rear tire with a motorcycle rear tire, not a car one. As you well know there are only 2 to choose from (I think) the Kenda or the Arachnid

I've had both on mine & they gave no handling problems, but they wear out quickly. Used 28psi

I now have a Kumho on the rear. No handling problems & longevity to be determined. I use 19psi

Using the word "Tire" in any thread title, subject line, or text body on this website is absolutely guaranteed to bring out extremely heated emotions...probably worse than Politics.
    I'm not gonna use the word Tire in here anymore.

Oh crap, I just did.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oldgoat View Post

Neither Kenda nor Arachnid are motorcycle tires. They are SAE standard automotive profile tires with a severely reduced load rating.

Yes the conversations get heated. I get pretty frustrated with the contract or sales lingo being spewed as 'safety' reasons not to use better tires.
    Last edited by jcthorne; 08-22-2017 at 10:56 AM.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

The manual suggests 300 - 350 miles or so for new brakes and tires--to get "broke in" properly.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    Was that your first time out on the new tire? I've never had an issue sliding with any new tire on my Spyders but they warn motorcycle riders to take it easy for a few hundred miles on new tires.
    This is important on both two and three-wheelers. Tire manufacturers put a release chemical on the tire during manufacture that enables the tire to "release" from the mold. It remains on the tire until worn off and can be slippery under certain conditions.

Take it easy for the first hundred miles or so on a new tire to ensure you wear that compound off before getting frisky.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by HankD View Post
    Using the word "Tire" in any thread title, subject line, or text body on this website is absolutely guaranteed to bring out extremely heated emotions...probably worse than Politics.
    I'm not gonna use the word Tire in here anymore.

Oh crap, I just did.
    Does this mean that you are "tired of tires"?
    Sorry...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 4 MARIE View Post
    haven't seen ONE POST that is positive about Arachnid tires. the tire "subject" ? is trampled to death on this forum, anyway...
    Well, it may be 'trampled to death' but most of the threads I've seen on the subject are full of mostly subjective 'information' and emotion rather than facts.

I for one am still confused about the issue. Fortunately I don't have to replace a tire any time soon, but I am trying to understand the pros and cons and technical issues in the meantime.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

There are no logic or facts: just emotions, and zealously guarded opinions...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Well, it may be 'trampled to death' but most of the threads I've seen on the subject are full of mostly subjective 'information' and emotion rather than facts.

I for one am still confused about the issue. Fortunately I don't have to replace a tire any time soon, but I am trying to understand the pros and cons and technical issues in the meantime.
    I am with you here. I read, and read, and read threads about tires as I just found a bald spot on my rear tire.

I just bought the Yokohama Avis S to replace it. My only hope is that the OEM one lasts till then, as that's the first apt I can get in to get it done.

2017 RT-S

Bump Skid - Spyderpops
    Wrap - Wrapmyspyder
    swaybar - Bajaron
    Sena 20D & SM10
    3 PC Mesh Zippered Lid Net Set - TricLED
    A arm LED's - Safety LED's - TricLED
    Mirror Sequential turn signals
    Glo-riders
    LED rear turn signals and reverse lights
    Front Grills
    Third Brake light
    Larson Scanner
    Light Up - Sue Hopper

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Does this mean that you are "tired of tires"?
    Sorry...
    Tired of tires or tire threads? Who the heck could get tired of tire threads. Tire threads are one of the go to places to start up a subject on tires or tire related things. Tire threads are the threads from which we get all things tires. Tires are a perfectly tried and true subject. Not me. I am not tired of tires or of tire threads. Keep those tire subjects and tire threads coming.

And for the newbies who don't like to search tire threads, please do not hesitate to give us your tire questions. We are happy to discuss tires and tire threads. Well, I guess I have said enough about tires, and I am getting tired.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 08-23-2017 at 02:56 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Tired? Who the heck could get tired of tire threads. Tire threads are one of the go to places to start up a subject. Tire threads are the threads from which we get all things tires. Tires are a perfectly tried and true subject. Not me. I am not tired of tires or of tire threads. Keep those tire subjects and tire threads coming.

And for the newbies who don't like to search tire threads, please do not hesitate to give us your tire questions. We are happy to discuss tires and tire threads. Well, I guess I have said enough about tires, and I am getting tired.
    Or as Tigger from Winnie the Pooh would say: "The terrible thing about tires, is that tires are a terrible thing...their tread is made of da rubber, and their wheels are attached to a spring!"