Spyder Garage

Default Saddlebags or Panniers

I rode with soft saddlebags for years with no problems. I enjoyed their low cost, durability, flexibility and ease of removal from the motorcycle. Then in 2004 headed to D2D in Dawson City, YT I had a problem. The saddlebags shifted slightly on a stretch of particularly rough road. They got close enough to the exhaust to catch fire. So I had a week to go, and what was left of a bunch of burned underwear. That's an image that you are better off not having seen. That winter I started looking for hard case saddlebags/panniers for my F650GS. Then, as now the BMW and BRP saddlebags are relatively expensive. Jesse and Touratech panniers even more expensive. I found a DIY example on the BMW F650 web site to mount Pelican 1550 cases on an F650GS. A relatively inexpensive solution. The Pelicans served me well traveling back roads around the US and Canada for 72000+ miles. For my F3S I again chose Pelican cases. This time I got the iM2600s. Their appearance isn't quite as industrial as the 1550s. Yes, I know, they aren't as pretty as Corbin saddlebags, but the interior has no strange curves to pack around. And they are $1600 less than the Corbins. For comparison purposes the 2660s are 9.33 gallons or 35.3 liters each. The total installed cost for the 2660s, Easy Brackets, and assorted bolts, nuts and washers was $413. I installed a small retaining wire to stop the "lids" from going all the way open. Hindsight being 20-20, I might have mounted the 2660s a little lower to make it easier to unlock the Easy Brackets, but I am still paranoid about getting too close to the exhaust.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2015 F3S , Orange

Spyder Garage

Thanks for your post about the saddle bags. With all the road riding you do, I can see an advantage to your solution. Lots of space, low cost, etc. They are not as pretty as some out there, but I am guessing that you prefer function over form anyway.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Pelican cases.

Very nice job mounting the IM Cases. Looks like an adventure bike.
    I had Hardig cases on the VStrom and loved the utility they provided.
    With my Spyder ST I wanted to install the IM cases but was stymied by the need to DIY a mounting system.
    Very functional.
    Cheers, David C
    David C
    2016 F3T
    DIY Garage Door Opener & GPS Mount
    Battery tender cable
    Rear IPS Pack Rack

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Your panniers look nice. I have 30mm ammo cans on my F3S ($100). My wife has Moose Racing panniers ($900) Ours are the same size. They are very practical and look nice.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Haze View Post
    . Looks like an adventure bike.

, David C
    Looks only, unless you count 2 1/2 inches of ground clearance, ready for adventure.
    Ready for a speed bump. Wish we had an "adventure" model.
    Really would like a picture of the bracketry behind the bags.
    They look super-functional, sweet.
    Flatlander, Navy Veteran, Widower
    Loved my 2014 RTS SE6 Pearl white
    but have a new love now,
    my 2017 RTS SE6 Champagne metallic (Champ)

Spyder Garage

nice install
    I'm thinking if it doesn't fit in those bags on a trip, you probably don't need it anyway.

2017 F3, SM6-basic black, plain and simple

Spyder Garage

Default Well done...👍

Though not streamlined they are great cases and will serve you well. I would also go with the utility aspect as to how much they hold and how well things are protected... looks like your set to travel....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black