Spyder Garage

Default Help Looking at 2015 F3 with 180 total miles

Hi went to the dealer to give our young salesman some trinkets from the 10th. My wife saw a 2015 bone stock F3 on consignment
    at the dealers. It has not even had a oil change or its first service. There is no warranty. Looking at $15,000 Canadian. Seat, frame
    recall has been done.

Questions: Should we be leary as it just has not been driven or maintained for almost 3 years?

Dealer says we cannot buy any extended warranty. We are in Canada.

Overall bike is in show room condition has been stored inside. The price seems reasonable for Canada. This will be a one up
    bike for my wife. They will do a first service and set her up with the correct U-fit pegs.

We have a 2016 RTS that has not had any issues or glitches. We want the 1300 engine and a F3 would be great for her.

So appreciate any thoughts or impute on this never used 2015. Thanks in advance BOB Will let you know what we do.
    900 Ryker Wifes

Spyder Garage

No warranty would be enough to kill the deal for me. Time expired, $15K Canadian--to much money out there to be left in a lurch if something goes wrong.

I would pass on the deal.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

In 2012 I purchased an '08 GS that was on consignment at a very large Spyder dealership just north of Montreal.

It had been 150km. The dealer said it had only been ridden twice. He was the sales director & said they had done all the recalls (including computer update), changed the oil & installed a new oem battery. He also said that the '08 GS, SM5 was as simple a Spyder as there was & was very reliable. They had been out 4 years by then.

It was $15,000 with no negotiation & no warranty. He advised me not to purchase an the extended warranty they offered.

I bought it & it has been trouble free for 5 summers & 32,000 km. (I do all my own maintenance).
    2008 GS SM5, Full Moon Silver
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc

Spyder Garage

Default 2015 F3

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    No warranty would be enough to kill the deal for me. Time expired, $15K Canadian--to much money out there to be left in a lurch if something goes wrong.

I would pass on the deal.

Thanks I'm kind of with you on that but we haven't test drove it yet, waiting for the #2 pegs. But the price was $22,000 we sort
    of get the shaft here in Canada. Plus we spend winters in AZ so I know US prices are better but importing a bike is a pain.
    900 Ryker Wifes

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oldgoat View Post
    In 2012 I purchased an '08 GS that was on consignment at a very large Spyder dealership just north of Montreal.

It had been 150km. The dealer said it had only been ridden twice. He was the sales director & said they had done all the recalls (including computer update), changed the oil & installed a new oem battery. He also said that the '08 GS, SM5 was as simple a Spyder as there was & was very reliable. They had been out 4 years by then.

It was $15,000 with no negotiation & no warranty. He advised me not to purchase an the extended warranty they offered.

I bought it & it has been trouble free for 5 summers & 32,000 km. (I do all my own maintenance).

Thanks for your post. What bothers me is that fact that the 2015 is the first year of the F3's. But the 2nd year of the 1300's.
    If the dealer can talk the owner into sweetening the deal my wife wants it. Will wait and see.
    900 Ryker Wifes

Very Active Member BoilerAnimal's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Just like life, it's a gamble! We just had our magneto completely rebuilt and I'm VERY glad we had the extended warranty! They said we would have been looking at about $1700 without it!

These are high tech machines and can have some high priced repair bills. Only you know if that would be a bump in the road or the end of the road.

In the immortal words of Clint Eastwood, "Do you feel lucky?"
    On the road again...........and forever young!

2013 RT-S SE 5

Yesterday is a cancelled check.
    Tomorrow is a promissory note.
    Today is cash.......spend it wisely.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cheska View Post
    Thanks for your post. What bothers me is that fact that the 2015 is the first year of the F3's. But the 2nd year of the 1300's.
    If the dealer can talk the owner into sweetening the deal my wife wants it. Will wait and see.

My '08 GS was the 3068th in the 1st year they were ever made.
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc

Spyder Garage

The decision is really a crap shoot type of situation. I like the Clint Eastwood "lucky" quote.

Most Spyders produced have been good. I had an 08 also. Had an early SE in 09, bought a Premier RT in 2010, another RT in 2011, and the new 1330 in 14. Been kind of beta testing the product since day one. I have never had major mechanical problems with any of them. At least, mine all had warranties--just in case.

We do read the occasional posting of those who end up with the "lemon" variety. Our toys are "very" expensive to fix.

Decisions, decisions, decisions.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Some of the 2015 bikes suffered from cracking frames. BRP came out with a bracket that should be installed... (Right at the leading edge of the seat...)
    If she really likes the bike: Make it happen, and make her happy! ...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

if my dollar calculator is correct, 15 thousand Canadian equals 11,900 US.
    That's a darn decent price.
    .And as you said, the seat and frame recall has been done.
    My worry would be the no warranty issue. I would really look into that

2017 F3, SM6-basic black, plain and simple

Spyder Garage

If its a SM6 the Clutch will be super hard to pull- Like Pop Eye?? There is a Vacuum assist they can install on the clutch (They Did Mine Under warranty) If Its a SE6 No worries!! Also the rear shock on the 2015 (I Have One) is fine for ONE person but really needs a 2UP shock IF 2 are going to ride!!!

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

From another current thread: Why a warranty is good to have:
    ONE yearago today...

Started by First Timer, Today 07:38 AM

ONE yearago today...

It was 1 year ago today that I purchased my 2016 Spyder RtLimited. So, here’s a little recap of the issues and down time I’ve experenceedwith my Spyder.
    Last Fall I had a parking brake issue. The Spyder went intothe shop on Sept 2nd and I picked it up on Sept 29th.That was a total down time of 28 days, which 19 days waiting for parts.
    This spring I had the starter motor issue. The Spyder wentinto the shop on May 26th and I picked it up on June 27th.That was a total down time of 33 days, which was 21 days waiting on parts.
    And for now, the parking brake again, other electricalproblems and the latch cable on the right rear compartment needs replace. The Spyderwent into the shop on July 13th and to date is STILL in the shop waitingfor parts. The parts manager is in contact with BRP every Friday to see wherethe parts are and the answer he gets is they will be there by the followingFriday. Parts were ordered on July 28th. So far total down time iscurrently 40 days and if the parts come in by this Friday I could have theSpyder home by the end of this month, which would be a total of 50 days of downtime.
    The 3 times it’s needed repair under WARRANTY will be 111days in the shop for repairs and waiting on parts from BRP. I don’t have anymore comments about BRP and their customer support for their products. Everyonehas seen my rants from before.
    So, it’s time to say goodbye. When the Spyder returns home,whenever that will be is anyone’s guess, the Spyder will be going on the worldwide web for sure. Too much hassle as far as I’m concerned.
    I will say I have enjoyed my time on this site. A ton ofnice individuals here with a lot of useful information and knowledge to be hadfor you folks.
    Also, I will say that when the Spyder was home and runningproperly it was a true joy the ride. The handling and ride seemed to be next tonone as far as trikes go.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default F3

Thanks all for sharing your insights and views. I appreciate all of them. Yes it is a hard decision. Ofdave you are probably correct
    on the conversion rate. Its 70 some cents to the US dollar. So its a crap shoot. We will not have an answer for a while yet as the
    dealer has to get some #2 pegs in so the wife can try it out. It has the longest available on it now. But we can wait. I keep hoping
    BRP will come out with a lower price basic model. Our 2016 RTS has had zero problems so you put your money down and takes your chances. I will post what the final decision is. Thanks again for the input. Bob
    900 Ryker Wifes

Spyder Garage

Default Deal fell through

Dealer started messing with wife, so she said no deal. I love my wife. We will continue our search for a F3. We are not in a hurry.

Thanks for a the comments. Bob
    900 Ryker Wifes

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cheska View Post
    Dealer started messing with wife, so she said no deal. I love my wife. We will continue our search for a F3. We are not in a hurry.

Thanks for a the comments. Bob

The first 5 words are somewhat ambiguous!
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc

Spyder Garage

Mind games--hopefully?

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=oldgoat;1295336]The first 5 words are somewhat ambiguous![/QUOTE

Yes mind games. Like our salesman hate the dealership! But its the only one on the Island. Bob
    900 Ryker Wifes

Spyder Garage

Without the 2 year factory warranty... no way in hell would I buy this. You can find brand new 2016 models for close to that price... WITH a warranty.

The frame on 2015 models is covered for the life of the vehicle.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oldgoat View Post
    The first 5 words are somewhat ambiguous!

oldgoat, are you aware this is what we see as your signature?
    Oldgoat sig pic.JPG

I tried sending this via PM but the PM editor doesn't allow pics from my PC, only via URL off the 'net.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    oldgoat, are you aware this is what we see as your signature?
    Oldgoat sig pic.JPG

I tried sending this via PM but the PM editor doesn't allow pics from my PC, only via URL off the 'net.

Thank you, yes. I think Doc Humphries has one as well.

I went to the site to update but no longer felt comfortable using it. I keep hoping it will go away (the eternal optimist)
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc