Spyder Garage

Default F3L and BT Dongle mounting questions

I have a 2017 F3L. I wish to be able to listen to my radio in my helmet while ryding. Helmets are equipped with Sena SMH10's, so I now need to mount an SM10 Blue Tooth Dongle. But where??? My intention, hopefully, is to wire it to the Spyder's power system, obviating the need to manually re-charge battery. Is there a preferred place to mount? - in the tiny dash console?; in the frunk? in the rear top case? or somewhere else? Does anyone have DIY instructions handy?

Thank you, in advance, for your advice.
    [SIGPIC]
    2017 F3 Ltd. Intense Red Pearl/Metallic Black topside
    2017 F3Limited , lowered brake pedal Intense Red Pearl w. Metallic Black topside

Spyder Garage

Default BT Mounting

Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post
    I have a 2017 F3L. I wish to be able to listen to my radio in my helmet while ryding. Helmets are equipped with Sena SMH10's, so I now need to mount an SM10 Blue Tooth Dongle. But where??? My intention, hopefully, is to wire it to the Spyder's power system, obviating the need to manually re-charge battery. Is there a preferred place to mount? - in the tiny dash console?; in the frunk? in the rear top case? or somewhere else? Does anyone have DIY instructions handy?

Going to do something similar on my F3T. Not certain yet but likely location will be under passenger seat. You will likely want to order a cable from motorcycle Dave unless you plan to buy the BRP accessory which is much pricier then using Dave's cable and just buying the SM10. I have a new never installed SM10 for sale if you are interested. You can PM me

i do not know how long the BRP cable is but Dave's is less than 3' long so putting it in the front glove box is not viable with out extension cables. He is great and I believe a sponsor here

Spyder Garage

You do not need to manually charge it. It will be charging as long as the key is on.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Default BT Install SM10

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    You do not need to manually charge it. It will be charging as long as the key is on.
    Bushrat you can see from the details about billybovine's bike that he uses an SM10 and a homemade cable. It appears he has an ST not an F3 so where he mounted it is likely different than the options you and I have as I recall the radio/amp is under the drivers seat on the ST vs behind the passenger seat on the F3 (so likely another 2 feet back from the front of the bike)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Not sure why you would want to use your helmet speakers when you have the F3 radio. Mine F3 radio comes in loud and clear even at 80mph on the highway. I have the Sena 10R and was never impressed with the helmet speakers.
    I use Lamonsters Bluetooth receiver and connect to phone to play my saved music when in the mountains.
    Last edited by Tazzel; 08-21-2017 at 11:22 AM.

Spyder Garage

Gcclubs:
    Would have been happy to buy your SM10, but local dealer has just offered a very competitive price, including cable, compared to buying from Dave. So, just ordered one before I saw your post. As a fellow Canadian, you will appreciate the exchange differential when shopping US, plus the additional 13% HST that Rev Can wants to charge on top when item shows up at the border. In this case, it appeared simpler to just buy from dealer, get it quickly and get on with the job. I don't mind supporting my local outlet; they gave me a decent break on my Spyder purchase price, and he needs to make something, 'cuz I want them to stay in business and be around for a long time.

Tazzel, unlike you, I don't seem to hear/enjoy my speaker sound much when rolling down the road. At stop signs and lights, Yes. Otherwise, I'm going to try the radio in my hat; not sure whether I'll use it all that much, but I'll experiment and see.

billy has already provided some assistance through PM; much appreciated.

Thanks to all for input.
    Last edited by bushrat; 08-21-2017 at 03:10 PM.
    [SIGPIC]
    2017 F3Limited , lowered brake pedal Intense Red Pearl w. Metallic Black topside

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Gcclubs:
    Would have been happy to buy your SM10, but local dealer has just offered a very competitive price, including cable, compared to buying from Dave. So, just ordered one before I saw your post. As a fellow Canadian, you will appreciate the exchange differential when shopping US, plus the additional 13% HST that Rev Can wants to charge on top when item shows up at the border. In this case, it appeared simpler to just buy from dealer, get it quickly and get on with the job. I don't mind supporting my local outlet; they gave me a decent break on my Spyder purchase price, and he needs to make something, 'cuz I want them to stay in business and be around for a long time.

Tazzel, unlike you, I don't seem to hear/enjoy my speaker sound much when rolling down the road. At stop signs and lights, Yes. Otherwise, I'm going to try the radio in my hat; not sure whether I'll use it all that much, but I'll experiment and see.

Thanks to all for input.
    Wow, really. My Radio comes in load and clear was really impressed. I struggled with my Sena Helmet speakers, now I don't use them at all. Wonder if you have defective F3 speakers. Oh well good luck with resolving your sound issue.

Spyder Garage

Default Alternative to SM10

Gcclubs:

Thanks to all for input.
    reason for my selling SM10 is I want to both transmit my radio to my helmet and on occasion listen to what is on my phone thru the speakers all via Bluetooth. I bought a unit from amazon that will allow both. Basically a combination of an SM10 and the Lamonster option referred to in one of the other posts. Hope to install this week and will let people know how it works

Spyder Garage

OK, so I have my SM10 BT dongle in hand, along with connecting cable. Can someone point me to the location of the radio on the F3L please, and how I access it. I suspect that it may be under the front seat, in which case I probably just run the cable back under the rear seat and mount the dongle there. Am I anywhere close to being right?
    [SIGPIC]

Spyder Garage

Looks like the rear right. Similar to the RT and ST. Radio is item 325.

F3T parts view.jpg

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

once again, many thanks, billybovine....now to see what I can do about connecting; here's hoping...
    [SIGPIC]