Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Caliper, rotor problem?

Since day one, my Spyder has always had a very brief tendency to pull left upon a fast stop, but always straightens out immediately.

About two months ago, upon stopping slowly, the left front pads began to emit a slight pulsing squeal, as if the rotor was not perfectly true. Quicker stopping did not cause the same sound.

Today, however, everything was working as usual. I had been out about 2 hours. Upon going down a long winding road on a hill, I gently tapped the brakes and the left front wheel began shuddering and bouncing rapidly up and down. This happened over and over. So I pulled over to the roadside and turned everything off. I shook and pulled on the wheel to make sure all was tight. I then touched the left rotor and found it to be extremely hot while the right rotor was only moderately warm. I ran about 5 more miles without braking and coasted into a vacant lot. The right rotor was almost cool while the left one was still hot.

I am thinking that the left caliper may be sticking, causing the pad to drag slightly, producing heat, or the caliper is warped and rubbing against the pad, or a combination of both issues. Very slow stops don't cause it to happen, but fast stops, it happens for a half second then smooths out.

Has anyone had any issues with the Brembo calipers or rotor warping problems? I am only at 7800 miles.
    2014 ST-S , OEM Yes Cognac

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

On one of our F3-Ss, I've got what I thought were warped rotors give the same symptoms as your description. I put a dial indicator on them and measured 0.006" - 0.007" on one and 0.007" - 0.008" on the other; spec is <0.0039". After some experimenting, I believe the rotors to be nearly flat and the run out is the driven by the flange on the hub not perpendicular with the spin axis with nearly 0.003" runout. Taking it to the dealer next week to check closer. If it is the hub, it must have been that way since day one and could be more noticeable due to fatigue of the A-arm bushings, allowing the chatter in the A-arms.

P.s.: the other F3-S measured well within spec at <0.001" for each rotor.

Wayne
    pauly1 - SpyderDeb's 'wrench'
    2018 F3-T & 2015 F3-S Road Warrior Foundation Tribute customs
    IBA #48220 SS1000 BB1500
    2015 F3-S , OEM na Basic Black with Custom Wrap

Spyder Garage

I had a similar problem with my 2012 RT Ltd. I pulled the rotors and checked them on a surface plate; the left was reasonably flat, but the right had about .030" of runout. I replaced both rotors with EBC rotors, and did the pads as well. Problem solved.
    Myron Wooley

USMC 1975 - 1979

2nd Spyder: Pearl White 2016 Spyder RT Limited, purchased December 18, 2016 with 1 mile
    First Spyder: Pearl White 2012 Spyder RT Limited, gone to a good home

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default This may help but it won't hurt

I've done this with cars and its worked but I've never done it with a spyder. It's the heat'm up cool'm down process that brings the rotors back into specs. First pressure was your calipers/pads get all the gunk and brake dust out of them. Get out on a lonely flat stretch of highway and start heating up your rotors. Start out slow and then brake to a stop. Release your brakes as soon as you stop. Increase your speed gradually and brake hard to a stop doing that several times. Then at about 50 mph and hard braking to a stop a couple more times and you should have them well heated up. Now cool them down by driving without using the brakes or go home and park it if you can do it without braking. That process may bring your rotors back into specs if they've been warped. Good luck.

Spyder Garage

Is it still under warranty? If so, tell the dealer to fix the problem.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default ROTOR ISSUE

Arnie, this is easy if want to check for a Warped rotor yourself ( so the dealer can't BS you ) .... it's simple to remove the Rotor .... then put it on a glass table top ( they usually thick enough to be perfectly flat ) ...if it looks ago to the eye, try sliding a piece of paper around various parts of the Rotor .... if the paper won't slide under ANYWHERE yours is 99.999 % flat ........... so depend on how thick the paper is will tell you haw warped the rotor is ........ not scientific , but a cheap way to learn info ....... Mike

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Material transfer

Could also be material transfer from the brake pads. A through sanding and cleaning will fix M/T. It will cause pulsation even on a flat disk.

Kaos
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

I'll try that tomorrow, BLUEKNIGHT, good idea.

I did pull the wheel off today and tried to measure any runout on the rotor with a make-shift "gauge" and found about a .005 variation on one third of it. Then pulled off the caliper and shot compressed air into every little crack and corner. Re-assembled everything and spun the wheel. You can hear the dragging sound, but then again, I think every type of vehicle I have ever worked on does that to some degree.

I am convinced that it is possibly due to rotor warpage, as I often have had this issue with my Ford truck, which is currently having the problem now. In this case, I call it "progressive warpage", as it only gets more severe as the heat continues to build up over time. As soon as everything cools down, it subsides.

Today, I rode slower and avoided situations where I would have to use the brakes hard or very rapidly. It started off ok, but slowly started to show up, just not as bad as yesterday. The left rotor was still always hotter than the right when I stopped to check them a couple of times. So, something is causing more heat build-up. I am just somewhat surprised that it started so suddenly yesterday, as going down one long grade after another caused no issues, then suddenly the next downhill grade, there it was. I frequently do 4-6 hours rides and brake under all kinds of conditions and never experienced this before yesterday.

I will tinker with it again tomorrow and then off it goes to the dealer on Tuesday.

Spyder Garage

EBC Brakes has a lot of very informative articles on their website. I suggest reading them (especially about bedding in new pads); your frustration level will go way down.

https://ebcbrakes.com/ebc-technical-brake-articles/
    Myron Wooley

USMC 1975 - 1979

2nd Spyder: Pearl White 2016 Spyder RT Limited, purchased December 18, 2016 with 1 mile
    First Spyder: Pearl White 2012 Spyder RT Limited, gone to a good home

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Could also be a caliper problem. I would include that in you list of checks along with what others have said.

Spyder Garage

Boy, I am kinda frosted right now. The bike was taken in two days ago for the brake / rotor issue. Today, the dealer calls back and tells me that the left front rotor IS warped (as I thought....) and it will be replaced along with the brake pads. Next he says that both sides will be done because they should be done in pairs. OK.

The bike is only 5 months old and has 7600+ miles on it.

Then he says, that none of it will be covered by BRP. Cost about almost $900. I told him to re-check with BRP and his manager, because, this is ridiculous for this to have occurred this soon.

My Ford truck went thru 3 sets of rotors due to warpage during its warranty time and all 3 occasions were covered each time.

So, he will call me back when he hears something..........

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The sticking caliper is what caused the problem: NOT the brake pads wearing out...
    Good luck; let us know what happens next!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default BRAKE PARTS + LABOR

Quote Originally Posted by ARNIE R View Post
    Boy, I am kinda frosted right now. The bike was taken in two days ago for the brake / rotor issue. Today, the dealer calls back and tells me that the left front rotor IS warped (as I thought....) and it will be replaced along with the brake pads. Next he says that both sides will be done because they should be done in pairs. OK.

Then he says, that none of it will be covered by BRP. Cost about almost $900. I told him to re-check with BRP and his manager, because, this is ridiculous for this to have occurred this soon.

My Ford truck went thru 3 sets of rotors due to warpage during its warranty time and all 3 occasions were covered each time.

$ 900.00 for two rotors and two sets of pads and labor to do them..... If I was closer ..WE could do this with Much BETTER parts for about $450.00 , I'm not kidding ...... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 08-24-2017 at 06:03 PM.

Spyder Garage

Wow! That's pretty heartless (and unnecessarily expensive). Like Blueknight911 says, this can be done for less than 1/2 the price (parts) and you get a higher quality product that will stop better and the rotors will not warp as easily as the BRP rotors do.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

Another example of all dealers not being created equal. Some are much better, or more successful, at getting things covered under warranty. I'd tell them to try again.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

They don't really HAVE to be replaced in pairs. This is a warranty situation and at low milage at that. They should be able to warranty the sticky caliper, the warped rotor, and a new set of pads without so much hassle and leave the other side alone. I have had that situation on a car and a truck and that's what happened. Does the dealer acknowledge the sticking caliper as the cause of the initial problem?

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

I was called this morning with their answer. NO warranty coverage from BRP since, in BRP's words, "even tho the unit is only 5 months old, we do consider the mileage of over 7,000 miles to be too much to consider warranty coverage. Furthermore, since we do not know any of the circumstances under with the operator rides the unit, we cannot justify a claim."
    So, I asked the service rep why everything must be replaced in pairs. His response was that they could not "guarantee" that everything would be "safe" due to the mileage on one side vs the mileage on the other side. I asked, what if come back in a week or two months with the same problem? Well, then, we might suspect that there is something else wrong, such a bad caliper. I then asked, if that was determined to be the case, and calipers are covered by warranties, then the resulting damage of a warped rotor and "ruined" pads would be casualties of the defective caliper - so, would I be compensated the cost I am being charged now? He wasn't sure about that one either. He also says they have totally checked out the caliper and bled the lines for air and found no issues, but have no way of checking whether the pistons are seizing up when they get hot.
    I had sent BRP a rather lengthy e-mail last night describing the situation and was assigned a case nbr, but they basically told me that the dealer must contact the warranty and tech depts for details of coverage or not. Since the service rep says that step was already done, the I guess I am screwed for now.
    BRP was also stumped as "warped" rotors are "rare".
    Believe me, if I knew where to get better aftermarket parts for less than OEM parts, I would do this in a heartbeat. Seems the prices he was quoting me on replacement OEM's are about the same as some of the online parts sites.
    When I purchased my Ford truck years ago, I went thru warped rotors 3 times during its warranty period and every single bit of the costs were covered.
    I am really bummed out.

Spyder Garage

Do you have another dealer that you could go to for a second opinion?

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Default PARTS COST

I was called this morning with their answer. NO warranty coverage from BRP since, in BRP's words, "even tho the unit is only 5 months old, we do consider the mileage of over 7,000 miles to be too much to consider warranty coverage. Furthermore, since we do not know any of the circumstances under with the operator rides the unit, we cannot justify a claim."
    So, I asked the service rep why everything must be replaced in pairs. His response was that they could not "guarantee" that everything would be "safe" due to the mileage on one side vs the mileage on the other side. I asked, what if come back in a week or two months with the same problem? Well, then, we might suspect that there is something else wrong, such a bad caliper. I then asked, if that was determined to be the case, and calipers are covered by warranties, then the resulting damage of a warped rotor and "ruined" pads would be casualties of the defective caliper - so, would I be compensated the cost I am being charged now? He wasn't sure about that one either. He also says they have totally checked out the caliper and bled the lines for air and found no issues, but have no way of checking whether the pistons are seizing up when they get hot.
    I had sent BRP a rather lengthy e-mail last night describing the situation and was assigned a case nbr, but they basically told me that the dealer must contact the warranty and tech depts for details of coverage or not. Since the service rep says that step was already done, the I guess I am screwed for now.
    BRP was also stumped as "warped" rotors are "rare".
    Believe me, if I knew where to get better aftermarket parts for less than OEM parts, I would do this in a heartbeat. Seems the prices he was quoting me on replacement OEM's are about the same as some of the online parts sites.
    When I purchased my Ford truck years ago, I went thru warped rotors 3 times during its warranty period and every single bit of the costs were covered.
    I am really bummed out.
    ............Sorry about your problems Arnie ...... but you also NEED to read ALL the posts on this Thread ....especially # 13 ..... and it would nice if you THANKED the people who took the time to try and HELP you ....... just some thoughts ..... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 08-25-2017 at 06:40 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default WOW

I would be down right livid, 7,000 miles should be nothing if they use quality parts. Hell, my lcamaro has 68,000 miles on it and original brakes, and rotors, by daily commuter lancer that's all beat to hell has 170,000 and the original brakes and no problems. 7000 miles they should just be breaking in. I would look online for the procedure to change them and do it yourself, Cant be much more difficult than a car. I think BRP screwed up in the manufacturing and is now trying to flip the bill on you. Just my two cents.

Jim
    2012 Can am Spyder RT Limited
    2013 Chevy Camaro SS

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Wow! That's pretty heartless (and unnecessarily expensive). Like Blueknight911 says, this can be done for less than 1/2 the price (parts) and you get a higher quality product that will stop better and the rotors will not warp as easily as the BRP rotors do.
    I agree. I was under the impression that BRP rotors do not warp that easily as relayed to me by the dealership as they claim they were told by BRP, however, we know how that goes.......

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    ............Sorry about your problems Arnie ...... but you also NEED to read ALL the posts on this Thread ....especially # 13 ..... and it would nice if you THANKED the people who took the time to try and HELP you ....... just some thoughts ..... Mike
    You are very correct, Sir, and I must apologize to all that have offered advice. Thanks very much. Everything is appreciated. Guess I got caught up in my own personal feelings about this.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by heyharris1 View Post
    I would be down right livid, 7,000 miles should be nothing if they use quality parts. Hell, my lcamaro has 68,000 miles on it and original brakes, and rotors, by daily commuter lancer that's all beat to hell has 170,000 and the original brakes and no problems. 7000 miles they should just be breaking in. I would look online for the procedure to change them and do it yourself, Cant be much more difficult than a car. I think BRP screwed up in the manufacturing and is now trying to flip the bill on you. Just my two cents.

Jim
    I am quite mechanically capable of performing all of the necessary procedures to replace the parts. Just did all of this on my Ford truck during the past two days. I was just stupidly expecting BRP to admit some fault and offer to fix the situation. Guess I have too much faith in these corporations................

Spyder Garage

Default THANK YOU FOR YOUR THANK YOU

You are very correct, Sir, and I must apologize to all that have offered advice. Thanks very much. Everything is appreciated. Guess I got caught up in my own personal feelings about this.
    Arnie , all's good. And I commend for your response to my somewhat terse comment ( it was not said to offend )... I just feel that it appears a considerable number of people here that ask questions often ( not you ) don't feel it's proper etiquette to acknowledge the folks who read this board and take the time to assist if they can..... jmho ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

So, today, the dealership offered to give me a loaner Spyder until Wednesday, when they expect that parts to be in and the work completed. That part was a shocker.

I also questioned the service rep more closely and he agreed that it really was probably not necessary to replace both rotors, so after applying a dealer labor discount for buying the unit there, the cost dropped somewhat, although, I still wish it was all covered without all of this crapola.

The offer of a loaner until the repairs are completed also lessened the pain a little, but still....

I did fire off another e-mail to BRP regarding their e-mail to me explaining their point of view on the mileage and "unknown conditions under which the unit was ridden" comment. I emphasized the potential safety issues with braking concerns. i still await a return comment. So, til then, thanks to all who have offered advice and information. You are a great group of people.