Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default The latest MSF study of motorcycle crashes

2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The 20-page study can be down-loaded here https://www.msf-usa.org/downloads/ms...tudy_Paper.pdf
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The primary Incident Type for the 30 crashes is summarized in Table 2. The most common case was a ground impact at low speed, which is defined more fully in the data dictionary as “…two-wheeled vehicle falls coincident with low or no speed (even if in gear), due to issue not defined in other Incident Type categories. The rider allows the bike to lean while it is being stopped, just beginning to move from a stop, or making a turn at low speed. Vehicle upright stability is lost due to lack of input by the rider to counteract the effect of gravity.” (Williams, McLaughlin, Williams, and Buche, 2015).The low-speed (“capsize”) crashes are a unique dataset that is not found in traditional crash studies. Though they occur at low (or negligible) speed, they are events that are important to riders. They also have the potential to reveal a breakdown in rider task execution, baseline proficiency, or a temporary reduction in readiness to ride (e.g., fatigue and attention) that could result in problems during a continued ride. These low-speed “crashes” appear to be relatively typical among everyday riding, and are included in the risk analysis. They are events that riders want to avoid, and their analysis provides a basis for continued exploration and categorization of all motorcycle incidents.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default THAT MOTORCYCLE ACC. REPORT

Very good info .... but Mostly applies to TWO wheel Mtc's ....... unfortunately the Insurance companies use studies like this to increase OUR rates, even tho they are LESS than valid for Spyder's...... jmho .... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Very good info .... but Mostly applies to TWO wheel Mtc's ....... unfortunately the Insurance companies use studies like this to increase OUR rates, even tho they are LESS than valid for Spyder's...... jmho .... Mike
    I dunno - you'd have to ask Denman about insurance company practices. But, it does reinforce the idea that Spyders are WAY more stable at lower speeds, and therefore safer than 2-wheelers.
    Last edited by UtahPete; 08-18-2017 at 09:58 AM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    The primary Incident Type for the 30 crashes is summarized in Table 2. The most common case was a ground impact at low speed, which is defined more fully in the data dictionary as “…two-wheeled vehicle falls coincident with low or no speed (even if in gear), due to issue not defined in other Incident Type categories. The rider allows the bike to lean while it is being stopped, just beginning to move from a stop, or making a turn at low speed. Vehicle upright stability is lost due to lack of input by the rider to counteract the effect of gravity.” (Williams, McLaughlin, Williams, and Buche, 2015).The low-speed (“capsize”) crashes are a unique dataset that is not found in traditional crash studies. Though they occur at low (or negligible) speed, they are events that are important to riders. They also have the potential to reveal a breakdown in rider task execution, baseline proficiency, or a temporary reduction in readiness to ride (e.g., fatigue and attention) that could result in problems during a continued ride. These low-speed “crashes” appear to be relatively typical among everyday riding, and are included in the risk analysis. They are events that riders want to avoid, and their analysis provides a basis for continued exploration and categorization of all motorcycle incidents.

This sounds suspiciously like the "Dammit, I dropped my bike" issue.....which of course has NEVER happened to me (where is the Liar Liar Pants on Fire emoji? )

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by HankD View Post
    This sounds suspiciously like the "Dammit, I dropped my bike" issue.....which of course has NEVER happened to me (where is the Liar Liar Pants on Fire emoji? )
    Kinda hard to drop a Spyder. I've never done it. But, I will admit to dropping my 2-wheeler, in the hotel parking lot, at the end of a 12-hour riding day.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

A Spyder is a motorcycle, and the study is valid.
    It shows that we are actually our own worst enemies...

Pay attention, and slow down!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

There are some very good lessons to learn from this study,even for us 3 wheelers. Look father down the road, you'll be more prepared. Not doing this was the cause of my first motorcycle crash in 50 years of riding. ABS is not a cure for bad habits. Your bike wont stop on a dime and give you 9cents change. Right turns are dangerous also. We concentrate on the left hand turns because of oncoming traffic but there are other dangers in right hand turns.
    I would like to see a study that focused on 3 track vehicles as opposed to single track ones. There are getting to be enough trikes out there now of all varieties to warrant such a study and I hope one comes soon.

Thanks for posting this Pete.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Kinda hard to drop a Spyder. I've never done it. But, I will admit to dropping my 2-wheeler, in the hotel parking lot, at the end of a 12-hour riding day.
    Yes, I'm getting to the point where the idea of the "touring bike lifting technique" makes my back hurt even thinking about it....thus the Spyder (among other reasons).

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If there was a study on 3 wheeled motorcycles, I would strongly suggest 3 categories.

1. Reverse trikes,--Can am Spyder for example

2. Conventional trikes,--HD tri Glide for example

3. Side car rigs,--The Ural for example

I would also suggest that the rate of accidents are much higher with the conventional trike set up, the main reason 3 wheeled ATV's were discontinued.
    Dean O
    Gran Pa Hoon
    Founder San Jose BMW
    Builder of the Motorcyclist Cafe Barn and Bunkhouse
    Alamogordo, NM

'20 Spyder F3 L

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by old Timer View Post
    If there was a study on 3 wheeled motorcycles, I would strongly suggest 3 categories.

I would also suggest that the rate of accidents are much higher with the conventional trike set up, the main reason 3 wheeled ATV's were discontinued.
    I'd put money on it. This is a great marketing opportunity for Can-Am; I hope they jump all over it.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Unfortunately, I doubt that Can Am will bring up the subject. Case in point, the BMW opposed twin motorcycle. It is well known among industry insiders that the cylinders sticking out are the best lower leg/ankle/foot protection of any motorcycle. In any side impact situation or low side your legs are protected, it is almost impossible to knock a BMW cylinder off in a crash. You will never see that fact in an advertisement or published fact sheet.

Lots of reasons for the omission, some Legal and some due to Political Correctness.
    Dean O
    Gran Pa Hoon
    Founder San Jose BMW
    Builder of the Motorcyclist Cafe Barn and Bunkhouse
    Alamogordo, NM

'20 Spyder F3 L

Spyder Garage

So it really sounds like the main cause is the Nut on the handlebars...
    2017 Can Am Commander Limited
    2012 Cadillac CTS-V Black Diamond
    2020 F3 Limited Magma Red (miss the 2011 Viper red)
    2010 RT622 - Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jwulf74 View Post
    So it really sounds like the main cause is the Nut on the handlebars...
    The untrained, distracted nut on the handlebars, to be precise.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

And never, NEVER wash your Goldwing wearing flip flops on a smooth concrete driveway.

Just sayin'

Took several days to find my other testicle.......

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default The cridical time is...........

ANY ONE on a new bike for the first 6 months. Prior experience doesn't count.

Spyder Garage

I can identify with this. I coulda sworn I'd put the kickstand down... (It was so embarrassing!)
    2017 F3-S
    2010 Honda Element

Harley map

Spyder map

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RinconRyder View Post
    And never, NEVER wash your Goldwing wearing flip flops on a smooth concrete driveway.

Just sayin'

Took several days to find my other testicle.......
    Leave a mark.jpg

But you never told us where you found it!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Leave a mark.jpg

But you never told us where you found it!
    in his wife's purse

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

He and I have a lot more in common, than either of us could have possibly dreaded...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Why does every thread, no matter the subject, have to turn into a string of unrelated banter?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

What are you griping about; nobody is fighting!

Very Active Member SteveLaoyster's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    There are some very good lessons to learn from this study,even for us 3 wheelers. Look father down the road, you'll be more prepared. Not doing this was the cause of my first motorcycle crash in 50 years of riding. ABS is not a cure for bad habits. Your bike wont stop on a dime and give you 9cents change. Right turns are dangerous also. We concentrate on the left hand turns because of oncoming traffic but there are other dangers in right hand turns.
    I would like to see a study that focused on 3 track vehicles as opposed to single track ones. There are getting to be enough trikes out there now of all varieties to warrant such a study and I hope one comes soon.

Thanks for posting this Pete.
    Paul, you have got some very good points there. When I had the motorcycle safety course they taught us to look 3, 6 and 12 seconds out in front of us. This gives the rider time to prepare for things they are going to encounter & things they might encounter while traveling. Of course the 12 seconds out is more like a sweeping look to see what might be encountered.
    AKA Jud Smales, Four Year Spyder Ryder!
    "Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati"

The Critter 2016 RT-S
    Cat Bypass from Lamonster
    BajaRon Sway Bar
    Hella dual horns with relay
    BRP Hitch with trailer module
    Foam Grips
    Adjustable Air Deflectors
    Driver & Passenger Gel Pads in Seat
    Shorty antenna
    Ultraguard half cover
    Gremlin bell from my son
    Break Stripe Kit from Wrap My Spyder
    2016 RT-S , stock not yet Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by old Timer View Post

having owned all 3 there is no comparison between the old ATV trikes and a converted trike. They just as safe as any other motor vehicle. You seldom hear of a Trike in a crash. I switched because no matter what you do to them the steering is heavy. The only thing I didn't try was an Erles front end and I would have liked to try that. I had a BMW in the late 60's with that kind of front end and it was neat. The Spyder is a great fun ride and since I am a believer in ABS I liked the fact that in most conversions you lose it but not in the Spyder.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze