Spyder Garage

Default Missing Belt Guard and Tire Width

I plan to install my Missing Belt Guard tomorrow. I have a stock OEM rear tire now, but plan to replace with a General Altimax 215/60R15 tire when needed. My question is has anyone experienced any clearance problems with the wider 215 tire? Do I need to adjust the belt guard installation in order to accommodate the future wider tire? I haven't gotten down and dirty to look at the specifics of installation but my preliminary blush suggests that I should probably allow extra room for the wider tire. Anyone experience this.....? Thanks Much
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    .... My question is has anyone experienced any clearance problems with the wider 215 tire? Do I need to adjust the belt guard installation in order to accommodate the future wider tire?.....
    Isn't 225/50R15 the stock size, so 225mm is the stock width, not 215mm?? So that means a 215/60R15 rear tire should actually be NARROWER than the stock tire & therefore have MORE clearance than a 225/50R15, altho the higher profile (60% of the 215 height vs the stock 50% of 225) will bring the smaller height tire back up to a similar rolling diameter....

Sooo - You shouldn't have any hassles fitting the belt guard with a 215 tire instead if a 225! I certainly have no hassles with a 225/60R15 on the back - yeah, it's close, but the larger tire has never touched either the guard or the swing arm, & the belt guard installation IS meant to be on the swing arm. Isn't it??
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

My humble apologies. Peter, you are exactly right. Fore some reason, I thought the OEM was a 205 when in fact it is a 225. Lesson learned. NEVER plan tomorrows jobs in the middle of todays cocktail hour. The light of day will bring a much clearer and accurate detail of the job at hand... Good thing you are in tomorrow to straighten me out.......
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Phew! I am sooo glad I got that lot right..... there was a bit of time there where I thought the pain meds had kicked in just a little too early/hard & that I'd got 'em all the wrong way round.... or something along those lines!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Default A Year ago May

I had Tampa Bay Power Sports replace all 3 tires with stock OEM Kendas and do a laser alignment. When they got finished they handed me my belt guard, they said the new tire & alignment hit the belt guard so they removed it.

You could possibly run into that kind of problem but it really is not a big deal as it is very easy to get more 3M double sided tape and put it back on!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    I plan to install my Missing Belt Guard tomorrow. I have a stock OEM rear tire now, but plan to replace with a General Altimax 215/60R15 tire when needed. My question is has anyone experienced any clearance problems with the wider 215 tire? Do I need to adjust the belt guard installation in order to accommodate the future wider tire? I haven't gotten down and dirty to look at the specifics of installation but my preliminary blush suggests that I should probably allow extra room for the wider tire. Anyone experience this.....? Thanks Much

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by timeless View Post
    I had Tampa Bay Power Sports replace all 3 tires with stock OEM Kendas and do a laser alignment. When they got finished they handed me my belt guard, they said the new tire & alignment hit the belt guard so they removed it.

You could possibly run into that kind of problem but it really is not a big deal as it is very easy to get more 3M double sided tape and put it back on!!!!

Sounds like BS to. I've fitted a General Altimax in the 215 width but I also fitted the "Missing belt Guard" with the stock tire. Also had alignment done. NO clearance problems???? Sounds like they knocked it/took it off and were to " something" to put it back.

Kaos
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default BELT GUARD AND DEALER - BS

Quote Originally Posted by kaos View Post
    Sounds like BS to. I've fitted a General Altimax in the 215 width but I also fitted the "Missing belt Guard" with the stock tire. Also had alignment done. NO clearance problems???? Sounds like they knocked it/took it off and were to " something" to put it back.

Kaos
    .....I had a dealer's Tech remove an emergency Frunk release cable because He claimed it was causing the " GUMMED UP LATCH MECHANISM " to not work properly..... ( not my Spyder ) I have installed dozens of them and they have nothing to do with the " Normal " Latch operation..... the Tech just took advantage of #1. a female ....#2 . someone who didn't know much about Spyder's and has Blind trust in the Dealer, which IMHO is foolish at best...............Mike

Spyder Garage

Default I agree

Yea, I agree but did not argue the point since it was such a minor thing.
    I did get into a nasty discussion with the tech because he marred all 3 rims and the belt tracked hard up against the flnge by the time I drove the 50 miles back to Palmetto!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kaos View Post

Kaos