Thread: Funny Story

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Funny Story

Yesterday I traveled to NYC for a business venture. It's a 250 mile roundtrip and since it was a beautiful day I figured I would take my Spyder and make a day of it. I arrived in the early afternoon and needed lunch so I went to Katz deli on Houston street in lower NYC. I highly recommend that deli, the food is phenomenal and known for their pastrami sandwiches which are to die for, its pricey though and they only take cash. After that I traveled to my destination several miles north in NYC taking side roads. As I travelled a car pulled up along side and asked if my bike was "street legal" and another asked if it was allowed on the highway, I responded accordingly. Many tourists took pictures and I also received many thumbs up the lady's.
    After 2 hours in traffic I arrived at my destination and headed for the public parking garage. Two hours to travel 5 miles is not uncommon in NYC, my Spyder handled it beautifully. I pulled up and the attendant walked away refusing to open the gate. Soon a manager walked up and asked "what is that". I told him it was a motorcycle and he said I was not allowed as motorcycles were not permitted on the lot anymore. I asked why and he said they have damaged cars, struck passengers, performed wheelies and made general nuisances of themselves. I laughed cause I understood the stupidity of some riders and politely told him I was mistaken and my Spyder was in fact a car and registered as such. He quickly opened the gate and gave me VIP parking because of the inconvenience he initiated.
    I arrived home just before sunset and was one of the most beautiful rides I have had this year.

Spyder Garage

It's a bird! It's a plane! It's a Spyder! No, it's a car (at least when you want to park in NYC). Well done Road-Kill. Flexibility takes the day!
    2012 2012 RT-L and 3015 RT-S , 2012 - red and 2015 black (way too black)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Arion View Post
    It's a bird! It's a plane! It's a Spyder! No, it's a car (at least when you want to park in NYC). Well done Road-Kill. Flexibility takes the day!

Dang! You beat me to it!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Good story, Road Kill. So the same guy you told it was a motorcycle, then a Spyder, just turned his attitude right around? He must not have been too serious.

Quote Originally Posted by hillrad View Post
    Very nice story and no offense intended but when I read "Two hours to travel 5 miles is not uncommon in NYC... " a feeling of total contentment entered my being about living way out here in the sticks.
    Me, too!
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Active Member hillbillywhisperer's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Good story!

Spyder Garage

Default speed

Quote Originally Posted by hillrad View Post
    Very nice story and no offense intended but when I read "Two hours to travel 5 miles is not uncommon in NYC... " a feeling of total contentment entered my being about living way out here in the sticks.
    It sounds like you can walk faster than drive in NYC.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CA Railwhale View Post
    It sounds like you can walk faster than drive in NYC.
    You're not joking. I go there a lot. When traveling crosstown (west to east) I regularly see the same pedestrians at least keeping pace with me.

Spyder Garage

Default It's the little things...

in life that can make your day...heading out of NYC was always the best...it's like the floodgates opened up and you could just sail away....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Kudu's to those that drive in NYC.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieSpyder View Post
    Good story, Road Kill. So the same guy you told it was a motorcycle, then a Spyder, just turned his attitude right around? He must not have been too serious.

Me, too!
    The garage that I was parking at is owned by the company that I do business with. As such the manager is held responsible for negative feedback. I had asked about motorcycles at my meeting and was refered to corporate lawyers of which I declined. The garage managers comments were spot on regarding the conduct of riders I see so I was not shocked by his actions. The sad part is that this was caused by riders.