Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    GOS member (Girls On Spyders) Spyder_Cowgirl's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Angry CB Trouble AGAIN -- VENT and Dealer BLACK EYE

Well @#$%^&*()_ .... the CB has GONE SOUTH AGAIN! Recall that this is the THIRD CB installed in this unit (one at purchase and two as warranty claims). On the last warranty, BRP replaced the following:

CB
    Radio
    Entertainment harness (all of it, front and back components)
    Installed the J&M Antenna that I had already purchased (they still owe me for that; were supposed to reimburse).

All this was done with the agreement that I disconnect ALL the LEDs (mirror, HMT, and rear run / brake / turn -- I agreed and left instructions with the tech on how to properly disconnect them (pull the power bridges) -- he did this on the mirror LEDs, but not on the rear (so the HMT was still working when we picked the bike up and I pointed this out).

Now, I think we need some background on what this dealer has "done" (rather damaged on this bike) -- then you will understand why I am so ANGRY and need to VENT (I will name the dealer at the end of this post):

• First the glove box lid was scratched when the GPS was upgraded (at my request) to a Zumo 590 -- replaced under warranty
    • Then the left handle bar control module went south (PTT wasn't working well, turn signal sticking) -- replaced under warranty.
    • It was somewhere in this timeframe that the third CB was also installed and all but one of the LEDs unhooked (although, not properly). CB worked better than it EVER had BUT upon returning home could not open the seat to gas up. Back to the dealer, and they called about an hour later to say the latch was bent (replaced with one off the floor). Pick up bike the following morning, can't open the seat .... ummm, well, yes you can but you have to turn the key the WRONG way and I could no longer lock the steering.
    • Okay, so a new key switch is ordered and I "live" with the swapped cables for a week or so (as well as not being able to lock the handle bars). Key switch and new keys (under warranty) and we are good to go.
    • Realize, shortly after, that my ACS is not functioning (heated grips and horn are also toast... same fuse) -- blown compressor. Waited nearly two weeks for parts and replacement; only to be told that the fuse still blew after the compressor was replaced. Pinched wire in the heated grip circuit. Hmmm ... when did THAT happen? Oh ... that's right, the key switch was replaced (probably then).

So, now we come to the current dilemma .... CB can transmit, but cannot receive without EXTREME static. Unfortunately, I did not realize this was an issue until starting (slowly) to hook SOME of the LEDs back up. They are now ALL unplugged and still, I am saying to myself, this is a grounding issue. So this past weekend, we took ALL the Tupperware off the bike from the mirrors back and gained access to the "battery cover" under the seat. See photo below .... does that look like a properly installed ground to you? Not to me ... but, even with it hooked back up ... the CB is STILL almost pure static on receive (transmit is clear). Note that the entire rear cargo module must be removed in order to replace the compressor and, with the loose ground, I am wondering what else was not reinstalled properly (another pinched wire, but this time in the entertainment harness, perhaps?).

Here is what has me REALLY ANGRY! I took the photo below and sent it to the dealer that replaced the compressor -- first response; you hooked the LEDs back up, it's your fault. Then today he accused me of unhooking the ground ... WTF .. .are you serious!? I rather NOT calmly asked that he submit another claim to BRP and send the photo -- I am not sure he will and even if he does, I am sure he will pass along the lie that I unhooked the ground.

So ... here's the photo .....DisconnectedGroundSmall.jpg

I am beyond ANGRY, I am LIVID -- even if BRP approves yet another warranty claim on the CB (diagnosis, whatever); I am not sure I want C&S Fun Center in Henrietta Texas to touch this bike EVER again! My husband thinks I have an electrical lemon ... he may have a point.

Needed to vent and rant a bit ... do I feel better now? ... no, not really. The dealer that installed my tire cannot help (much) because they did not do the initial warranty repair. He did suggest I contact BRP directly ... though I know from posts here that they will just refer me back to the dealer. His other suggestion was BRPCare .... I think I will do that following this post (so be forewarned BRPCare, incoming ... I will try to be professional and simply state facts in my note to you, without emotion .... I feel I can vent here, not in any correspondence with you).

All the best ... thanks for listening ... constructive suggestions appreciated .... Ann
    __________________________________________________ _
    2016 RT Limited -- "Jubilee" (as in Cherries)
    Guardian Bell (gift from spyderowboy)
    ISCI Dual Flag Mount – Tall Poles
    Lamonster Bottle Holder and Spyder Cuff
    Spyderpops Missing Belt Guard
    Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Rear Run / Brake / Turn LEDs
    Spyderpops Mirror LEDs
    Custom Dynamics HMT Brake

Spyderpops Keep Out The Trash (KOTT) Grills
    Don't Eat Mud / mudflap
    __________________________________________________ __

Spyder Garage

Default CB Radio

Man, stories like that make the hair on the back of my neck stand up.

Have you considered just cutting your losses on the integrated CB and going with something like this?

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Midland-M...&wl13=&veh=sem

It's battery operated and completely separate from your Spyder electrical system. People make Push-to-talk handlebar mounts, mounting brackets, larger external antenna's, and helmet headset mounts for this unit, and I know people who have them (just not on a Spyder). It's a cheap alternative anyway. The base unit and add-ons are probably less than $130. I considered it, but decided that I didn't really need/want a CB radio as compared with my ever-growing list of other farkels.

Good Luck!

Spyder Garage

Default Maybe

Quote Originally Posted by HankD View Post
    Man, stories like that make the hair on the back of my neck stand up.

Have you considered just cutting your losses on the integrated CB and going with something like this?
    Sure ... I have considered it; the problem is integrating it into the helmet (since I use a wired headset). One thing I have considered is going with a setup like my husband has on his Indian:
    • J&M handle bar mount CB (would have to change the antenna, of course).
    • J&M CB interface module that provides ability to "blue tooth" the CB as a headset.

The problem with this setup, I think (it has been more than a year since took serious look at it), is that the interface also has it's own helmet connector and that would negate my ability to use the existing BRP connectors that are integrated with the radio. If I could find a manufacturer of a decent CB unit that could be mounted in place of the BRP unit and maybe make some adapters so it is "plug compatible"... I would go that route. I suspect, though, that such a device does not exist.

Thank you for your suggestion .... Ann
    Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Mirror LEDs

Don't Eat Mud / mudflap

Spyder Garage

Default Thank You BRPCare

As noted above, I contacted BRPCare outside this forum via email. They have now responded and opened a case for me -- I should hear something within the next 5 business days. Also gave a direct contact number, should I want an update. Note, I am still convinced this is an issue with one of following:

1. An improperly grounded CB -- the Antenna is properly now grounded, but the CB itself has NO GROUND and looks to be mounted on plastic.
    2. The repaired heated grips wire that was done at the same time the compressor was replaced is causing noise (this is an easy test, pull the fuse and listen).
    3. Something else was not properly assembled when the rear cargo module was put back (loose ground, what else?).

I will keep this post up to date as we work our way through this ... thank you for listening (still looking for ideas).

All the best .... Ann
    Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Mirror LEDs

Don't Eat Mud / mudflap

Spyder Garage

Default UPDATE -- Compressor / Heated / Grips Circuit Test

Just a quick update .... I pulled the fuse on the subject circuit (item 2 in my previous post) and then ran the squelch to the point where I am getting a constant RX condition (bike is NOT running at this point). The quality of the noise is still odd ... not just a hiss as before, more like a purr ... so that didn't change.

What I did next is keep the RX condition and reach behind me ... tapping on and moving the antenna. This resulted in all kinds of snapping and popping. I know very little about CBs so I am not sure what this indicates .... but, it seems that the reason I can't receive worth beans while moving is probably connected to antenna movement (it was not there before the compressor was replaced). I have reported the above to BRP and asked them to update the case.

So, all those the DO know something about CBs .... what does the snapping and popping when the antenna is "disturbed" mean?

Thank you for your response ..... all the best .... Ann
    Last edited by Spyder_Cowgirl; 08-16-2017 at 04:37 PM. Reason: corrected spelling
    Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Mirror LEDs

Don't Eat Mud / mudflap

Spyder Garage

Default Sad Horror Story!

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder_Cowgirl View Post
    Just a quick update .... I pulled the fuse on the subject circuit (item 2 in my previous post) and then ran the squelch to the point where I am getting a constant RX condition (bike is NOT running at this point). The quality of the noise is still odd ... not just a his as before, more like a purr ... so that didn't change.

What I did next is keep the RX condition and reach behind me ... tapping on and moving the antenna. This resulted in all kinds of snapping and popping. I know very little about CBs so I am not sure what this indicates .... but, it seems that the reason I can't receive worth beans while moving is probably connected to antenna movement (it was not there before the compressor was replaced). I have reported the above to BRP and asked them to update the case.

So, all those the DO know something about CBs .... what does the snapping and popping when the antenna is "disturbed" mean?

Thank you for your response ..... all the best .... Ann
    Hi Ann,
    WOW! what a sad horror story! When handling an antenna with your bare hands I would almost expect interference. The small charges on your skin will get picked up. Try wiggling the antenna with heavy gloves on, or a block of wood and see if anything happens. The wire coming out of the bottom of the antenna should be all sealed up. Now proper grounding is an issue! I am waiting to get a CB kit used from a junkyard or something, I don't really expect to use it much in the near future, haven't hooked up with a cycle group yet. But being an engineer, I watched all the videos and looked at the schematics of the system. Being almost all plastic in the back does present a unique challenge!

I would watch Pierre's YouTube video first:

At the 6:00 mark, you'll see him disconnect the antenna cable from the female socket. Be sure there is a light coating of silicone (like spark plug cap sealer) on the outside of the male plug to seal it up from moisture. Also in the video you see the most important part - the grounding strap, under a 10mm bolt. I am of course assuming it still is the same as your 2016. Pull the bolt, clean the bolt and washer well, put back together with some more sealant. Then trace it down to the battery / frame. The pic you sent kinda caught me off guard as I can see a hole in the braid, looks like they made another hole? Or is the ground strap from the back not connect at all? Clean the bolt/washer again with some sealant at the battery end. Use some rough sandpaper on the frame where the bolt mounts, to get a shiny clean ground surface.

Pierre does an excellent job in the video - using locktite, sealants, etc. Since I read you took off all the tupperware, you should be comfy with removing the panels that the antenna mounts to, and gaining access to the bolt with the ground strap (he shows step by step how to) to check all this stuff.

That ground strap at the antenna has caused no end of noise problems from all the forums I read. Any moisture in the connector will ruin your day. I would start there.

As a side note, I read a lot about technicians blaming all kinds of problems on LED's, saying they can disrupt the C.A.N. bus communications. The brake lights / turn lights / etc. operate off of transistors (from what I gather) and are not part of any communication system. Having said that, maybe if the Nanny is smart enough to monitor the current draw (to detect that the lamp is indeed on or working) then maybe, but that would not show up as noise on the CB; it might trip some error. As far as noise being emitted from LED's that puts a buzz on the antenna - meh . They are DC devices, shouldn't be emitting and frequencies, unless connect to some wig-wag flashy thing. Shouldn't be, but looks like you already ruled them out.

Good Luck!
    Steve

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stevencovert View Post
    Hi Ann,
    WOW! what a sad horror story! When handling an antenna with your bare hands I would almost expect interference. The small charges on your skin will get picked up. Try wiggling the antenna with heavy gloves on, or a block of wood and see if anything happens. The wire coming out of the bottom of the antenna should be all sealed up. Now proper grounding is an issue!

The pic you sent kinda caught me off guard as I can see a hole in the braid, looks like they made another hole? Or is the ground strap from the back not connect at all? Clean the bolt/washer again with some sealant at the battery end. Use some rough sandpaper on the frame where the bolt mounts, to get a shiny clean ground surface.

That ground strap at the antenna has caused no end of noise problems from all the forums I read. Any moisture in the connector will ruin your day. I would start there.

As a side note, I read a lot about technicians blaming all kinds of problems on LED's, saying they can disrupt the C.A.N. bus communications. Shouldn't be, but looks like you already ruled them out.

Good Luck!
    Steve
    Thank You Steve! Sad, indeed .... I probably should have taken a selfie when the dealer accused me of disconnecting the ground strap (I know my jaw dropped when he said it).

I watched Pierre's video several times to learn how to get the "antenna / speaker pods" off. And have inspected both pods, but have not detached / cleaned /sealed anything -- that will probably be my next step (unless BRP comes through with okay to take to another dealer for troubleshooting). The way the antennas (both of them) are tied to the ground strap is by use of a bolt / lock washer that is simply punched through the braided strap. I guess I should clean all of those connections as well. I am not sure if the antenna is sealed where it goes through the pod, nor do I know if it is tight in the mount and the cable tight to it .....again, things to do and check myself (since I don't trust the dealer will do it right).

The picture shows the ground bolt under the seat, there are TWO straps attached to that bolt (or there are supposed to be). Only one of them was actually attached, the other was just laying loose and might have been partially captured at one time (this is why the CB worked for a little while, then when the strap came loose, quit receiving without static).

As for the LEDs, per above, they were never properly disconnected in the first place and it was NEVER clearly spelled out that the "no LEDs" provision was permanent -- you would think I should have seen that in writing and agreed via signature. If I had, then I probably would have left them off ... much as I like the additional lights for safety.

Talked with BRP this afternoon and customer service indicates to wait until I hear back on the case before agreeing to any troubleshooting at either the bad dealer or another. Based on your information, I am more convinced than ever that this is a grounding issue and, more than likely, all CB connected grounds are due for inspection and cleaning, sealing as appropriate.

Again ... thank you ... will keep this up to date ..... Ann
    Last edited by Spyder_Cowgirl; 08-16-2017 at 04:11 PM.
    Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Mirror LEDs

Don't Eat Mud / mudflap

Spyder Garage

Default CB Ground

As noted above, I contacted BRPCare outside this forum via email. They have now responded and opened a case for me -- I should hear something within the next 5 business days. Also gave a direct contact number, should I want an update. Note, I am still convinced this is an issue with one of following:

1. An improperly grounded CB -- the Antenna is properly now grounded, but the CB itself has NO GROUND and looks to be mounted on plastic.
    2. The repaired heated grips wire that was done at the same time the compressor was replaced is causing noise (this is an easy test, pull the fuse and listen).
    3. Something else was not properly assembled when the rear cargo module was put back (loose ground, what else?).

I will keep this post up to date as we work our way through this ... thank you for listening (still looking for ideas).

All the best .... Ann
    The CB radio on my 2015 RTS was mounted on plastic. I installed a ground wire from the CB chassis to ground and eliminated alot of the static. I still have trouble on transmitting when moving the guys I talk to say there is alot of static on my transmissions. Still working on that. My dealer said, the CB's are crap and most are using bluetooth. Not a good answer!! I too have replace the CB antenna with the J&M and it is better but still not right.
    2015 RT S , None Tried one, but took it off. Didn't like it Black and Silver

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default DEALER ANSWERS

Quote Originally Posted by davehirst View Post
    The CB radio on my 2015 RTS was mounted on plastic. I installed a ground wire from the CB chassis to ground and eliminated alot of the static. I still have trouble on transmitting when moving the guys I talk to say there is alot of static on my transmissions. Still working on that. My dealer said, the CB's are crap and most are using bluetooth. Not a good answer!! I too have replace the CB antenna with the J&M and it is better but still not right.
    IMHO I think the dealer gave you a great answer .... it was the Truth something dealers rarely admit to ..... He gave a better alternative ...... and think about this , The Dealer didn't make the radio for your Spyder , BRP did ( or at least bought that piece of garbage ) ..... and my statements here are coming from somone who did-likes most dealers ....... Mike

Spyder Garage

Entire books have been written on the subject of vehicle noise on CBs and other radios.
    The short explanation...

Noise can come from improper grounds, from the spark plugs and also from the fuel pump (that's why there may be static even with the engine not running) and other accessories. Even a vehicle's wiring loom can be the cause.

First things to do are:
    Run the power leads from the radio directly to the battery and not to any wiring connector.
    Buy an inexpensive noise suppressor (ebay and other places for $7- $15) that you wire in-line to these wires to the battery.
    Make sure the antenna has a good ground. Then ground the radio's chassis to a good ground.
    Some people have said they also needed to ground their vehicle's exhaust system to eliminate noise.

I'd say if you can do all these things and there's still unacceptable noise, then the radio itself is sh*t.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

All good advice.....except for the part about the radio being "crap".

I quite assure you that if installed properly, MOST of them will work just fine.
    We have several in our riding group and there are no complaints.....except for me.....and I think my problem is the headset and not the radio.

We did have one person in our group with a bar mounted J&M on his Spyder; he had terrible static when transmitting.
    Turns out, one of the pins had "pushed out" of the headset connector so that it was just BARELY making contact.

I had intermittent trouble with the bar mounted J&M on my Vulcan. Turns out it was a headset connector problem too.
    A dose of contact cleaner and some "exercise" of all the connections fixed that.

SO......before you embark on more complex solutions to a static problem, either incoming or outgoing, do some careful inspection and testing of your headset connections. A lot of time and money might be wasted if you do not.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Do we have any more news on this ugly situation?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Was Flawless

Quote Originally Posted by davehirst View Post
    Here's the deal with my CB... after BRP installed the third unit (and the Radio, entertainment harness, CB ... basically everything that connects to the CB.... and installed the J&M antenna), the CB was flawless. NO static on transmit or receive, crystal clear ... it was as good as the CB on my 2012 RT was. Then the compressor failed and the dealer had to take the back end off the bike ... neglecting to hook a ground up in the process of putting the bike back together. Since I know they damaged a wire in the heated grip circuit during another repair (the key switch) I am wondering what else they "did wrong" or "didn't do" that has now damaged this CB. I can still transmit with clarity, but cannot receive without EXTREME static (speaks to a grounding issue, IMHO). But, the ground is now attached and we have inspected / cleaned all ground connections related to the CB -- no difference.

Too bad BRP didn't contract with someone like J&M, Midland, or Cobra for the CB itself -- I don't think they would be such a problem.

Thank you for the response ..... Ann
    Last edited by Spyder_Cowgirl; 08-21-2017 at 05:20 PM.
    Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Mirror LEDs

Don't Eat Mud / mudflap

Spyder Garage

Default Suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by classicvw View Post
    Entire books have been written on the subject of vehicle noise on CBs and other radios.
    The short explanation...

Noise can come from improper grounds, from the spark plugs and also from the fuel pump (that's why there may be static even with the engine not running) and other accessories. Even a vehicle's wiring loom can be the cause.

First things to do are:
    Run the power leads from the radio directly to the battery and not to any wiring connector.
    Buy an inexpensive noise suppressor (ebay and other places for $7- $15) that you wire in-line to these wires to the battery.
    Make sure the antenna has a good ground. Then ground the radio's chassis to a good ground.
    Some people have said they also needed to ground their vehicle's exhaust system to eliminate noise.

I'd say if you can do all these things and there's still unacceptable noise, then the radio itself is sh*t.
    All excellent suggestions and if this were not a warranty issue, I would jump right in -- but it IS a warranty issue and I am more convinced than ever that there is a fundamental grounding issue with the bike itself (why would it constantly "eat" CBs?). I did spot, in the shop manual, that there is a "grounding harness" (I believe it has 8 or 9 different points that are run to ground. What if one, or more, of these points is no longer connected (or perhaps never was)? Also, what if the dealer damaged something in the entertainment harness when the compressor was replaced?

Still too many possibilities for me to tackle instead of BRP .... Thanks .... Ann
    Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Mirror LEDs

Don't Eat Mud / mudflap

Spyder Garage

Default News

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Do we have any more news on this ugly situation?
    Yes, Bob, we do. BRP customer support called today to ask me a few questions about modifications (lights, etc.). Yes, they are there, but all disconnected at the moment. The only other electrical upgrade is a BRP branded GPS (an upgrade from the 660 it came with to the 590; installed by the dealer as well). After I listed the upgrades, she asked what my relationship with C&S Fun Center was .... POOR, in a word. And I explained in detail why -- their history of damaging the Spyder when performing more than the most basic service. Her suggestion was a "new pair of eyes" on the problem ... YES! So, she asked if there were any other dealers in the area ... there are now two (one 30 and one 60 miles away). We have a relationship with both -- the closer put my tire on and the other is the same location where hubby bought his Indian (their BRP franchise is new but their tech may be experienced Spyder since he came from another location). I did mention that I was beginning to wonder if there was a fundamental grounding issue with the bike .... the ground harness not properly installed / maintained through various procedures, for example.

So, as it stands now .... I am waiting for the customer service rep to talk with the senior technical team and decide the next step. It sounds as if they are going to pick the best dealer / tech in the area to nail this problem down once and for all. I should hear more on Wednesday.

Will keep this up to date, as things progress .... so far, looking positive. I hope that continues .... Ann
    Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Mirror LEDs

Don't Eat Mud / mudflap

Spyder Garage

Default Headset Connections

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    All good advice.....except for the part about the radio being "crap".

I quite assure you that if installed properly, MOST of them will work just fine.
    We have several in our riding group and there are no complaints.....except for me.....and I think my problem is the headset and not the radio.

We did have one person in our group with a bar mounted J&M on his Spyder; he had terrible static when transmitting.
    Turns out, one of the pins had "pushed out" of the headset connector so that it was just BARELY making contact.

I had intermittent trouble with the bar mounted J&M on my Vulcan. Turns out it was a headset connector problem too.
    A dose of contact cleaner and some "exercise" of all the connections fixed that.

SO......before you embark on more complex solutions to a static problem, either incoming or outgoing, do some careful inspection and testing of your headset connections. A lot of time and money might be wasted if you do not.
    Good advice ... and that has been addressed by swapping with a known good headset (several, actually). Including the one that my husband uses on his J&M (we have a lower cord that is compatible with the Spyder connector). Does not matter what headset is used .... they all sound the same with static on receive.

Thank you .... Ann
    Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Mirror LEDs

Don't Eat Mud / mudflap

Spyder Garage

Default UPDATE -- Back to the Dealer that Left the Ground Loose

Sigh ..... the "former regional rep" and "BRP technician" is not familiar with the other two dealerships in close proximity. So, BRP has asked that I take the bike back to C&S Fun Center for evaluation with the BRP tech working closely with their tech. I am not sure if he will be "on site" ... but I hope so as this really needs a fresh pair of eyes. For this machine to essentially "eat" 3 CBs speaks to something wrong buried deep within -- of course BRP will continue to blame the LEDs (they are disconnected, power bridges removed... did that today in advance of the next eval). And, since I am more convinced than ever (based on posts here and private messages), that this is a grounding issue or an impinged wire, I have to hope that new eyes (or at least new guidance) will identify and fix the problem for good.

Pretty well soured on the dealer, and just about soured on the bike ... but not the brand. I won't be surprised to see a 2017 (or perhaps 2018) model in the garage instead of this POS. I may even try out an F3 Limited, if I can get a good test drive somewhere. Of course, if I don't stay with the RT ... I may have some dynamite deals on some of the addons (7Jurock windshield, Magic Mirrors, Flag poles, and a few other things). If I trade this one in, I will simply swap some things as part of the deal (windshield and my brand new tire, for example -- I will move the Magic Mirrors myself).

Which brings to question .... has anyone put a non-BRP CB on a Spyder (either RT or F3)? If so, I am interested in details.

We shall see ... bike goes back on Wednesday morning .... for who knows how long. Wish me luck ..... Ann
    Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Mirror LEDs

Don't Eat Mud / mudflap

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Which brings to question .... has anyone put a non-BRP CB on a Spyder (either RT or F3)? If so, I am interested in details.
    We have two in our riding group.

One put a J&M "universal" handlebar unit on his. A little drilling for the mount was needed but not much.
    It works great.......but does NOT integrate with any of the other audio on the Spyder (which might be why it works so good).

The other guy strapped a hand-held to his handlebars and plugged in a headset made for it.
    It works but is kind of a kludge. But the whole setup cost him about $100 or a bit less.

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

I have heard nothing but bad things about the BRP CB. I think I would ask them to refund the cost of the system and the helmet and I'd switch to a Sena or Scala system.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default Switching to Sena or Scala

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    I have heard nothing but bad things about the BRP CB. I think I would ask them to refund the cost of the system and the helmet and I'd switch to a Sena or Scala system.
    Nice idea, except hubby has a CB on his Indian and our Legion Riders group also uses CBs ..... I am looking at possibly being able to use Bluetooth technology to integrate a non-BRP CB into the mix. I know J&M has a Bluetooth interface module with it's own connector (this is what hubby uses on his Indian). And it all runs through the radio .... sort of like the BRP entertainment harness ties everything together. He has lost the ability to "digitally" change the volume in his headset ... but the thumbwheel is easy to use and it is right on top of the CB. The downside is that the interface is NOT waterproof so it has to be installed in a protected area.

Thanks for the suggestion .... the CB on my 2012 was flawless .... clearly, has not been on the 2016 .... Ann
    Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Mirror LEDs

Don't Eat Mud / mudflap

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    I have heard nothing but bad things about the BRP CB.
    You can't say that anymore.

I've posted this at least twice before.

My riding group has at least 3 Spyders with factory CBs and they work perfectly......once you get the interface controls and settings figured out.

I'm assuming that mine will make 4 after I get my defective headset replaced.

I am not necessarily defending their overall audio system because I think it is complicated and confusing but when it works it is nice to have everything integrated.
    Last edited by Easy Rider; 08-26-2017 at 09:08 AM.

Spyder Garage

Default UPDATE -- CB is Toast

Well ... thanks to BRPCare, a case was opened and a lengthy analysis performed as to what might be wrong (why I can transmit with perfect clarity, but cannot receive without EXTREME static). As above, I really wanted a fresh pair of eyes on this thing as I really DO NOT trust C & S Fun Center (they left the ground strap loose and that is probably what toasted the CB). But .... even with all that has transpired, the local technical guy opted to go with "what he knows" ... so, I had to take it back to the dealer that I am quite certain caused this latest issue (and then had the unmitigated gall to blame me). Sigh, it is what it is ... so, went back to C&S Fun Center on Wednesday 8/31/2017. The plan was to have the technical guy review everything and make a decision on what to do next. I received an email from customer care that the tech would be contacting the dealer the morning I brought the Spyder back to the shop. By the time we got home, I had a message from the woman that investigated the case -- BRP has agreed to put a whole new CB Kit in (CB, mount plate, antenna wire / ground, antenna ... they will use the J&M rather than the BRP antenna). AAAANNNNNDDDDD, they agreed to put this all in place with the currently installed LEDs. I was initially confused by this as prior to taking the Spyder in, I had pulled the power bridges for ALL but the Custom Dynamics High Mount Taillight .... so was not sure if this meant just it or all the rest. Called the dealer and he asked that I bring all the power bridges in so they could be inspected .... BRP wants to see how these things hook up (since no wires are tapped and they are quality units, I hope their inspection results in approval to install). Either way, I told the dealer I want whatever their decision is on the LEDs in writing so we don't end up going sideways on this CB issue again. I had taken the extra step of installing ferrite beads on each of the rear LEDs (the mirrors have never been a problem), so if there is LED noise, I hope they will stop it ... I did notice that the antenna wire has a pretty substantial ferrite bead on it as well.

CB Kit was due to the dealer on Friday afternoon ..... not sure if they were able to work on it over the weekend (shop seemed pretty busy). So, now I wait ........

This is the fourth CB .... and a mighty expensive install (both in time and money). If this one goes south ... I may take SpyderAnn's suggestion and ask for a refund. Believe I know how to put a J&M on the handle bar and integrate it with a headset (what we did on my hubby's Indian). So, with that in mind .... does anyone have experience with the Blue Tooth Dongle? I would need that in order to integrate the J&M as it has a blue tooth interface module with a wired headset connector.

Will keep you all posted .... tick, tick, tick ..... Ann
    Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Mirror LEDs

Don't Eat Mud / mudflap

Spyder Garage

Well ... thanks to BRPCare, a case was opened and a lengthy analysis performed as to what might be wrong (why I can transmit with perfect clarity, but cannot receive without EXTREME static). As above, I really wanted a fresh pair of eyes on this thing as I really DO NOT trust C & S Fun Center (they left the ground strap loose and that is probably what toasted the CB). But .... even with all that has transpired, the local technical guy opted to go with "what he knows" ... so, I had to take it back to the dealer that I am quite certain caused this latest issue (and then had the unmitigated gall to blame me). Sigh, it is what it is ... so, went back to C&S Fun Center on Wednesday 8/31/2017. The plan was to have the technical guy review everything and make a decision on what to do next. I received an email from customer care that the tech would be contacting the dealer the morning I brought the Spyder back to the shop. By the time we got home, I had a message from the woman that investigated the case -- BRP has agreed to put a whole new CB Kit in (CB, mount plate, antenna wire / ground, antenna ... they will use the J&M rather than the BRP antenna). AAAANNNNNDDDDD, they agreed to put this all in place with the currently installed LEDs. I was initially confused by this as prior to taking the Spyder in, I had pulled the power bridges for ALL but the Custom Dynamics High Mount Taillight .... so was not sure if this meant just it or all the rest. Called the dealer and he asked that I bring all the power bridges in so they could be inspected .... BRP wants to see how these things hook up (since no wires are tapped and they are quality units, I hope their inspection results in approval to install). Either way, I told the dealer I want whatever their decision is on the LEDs in writing so we don't end up going sideways on this CB issue again. I had taken the extra step of installing ferrite beads on each of the rear LEDs (the mirrors have never been a problem), so if there is LED noise, I hope they will stop it ... I did notice that the antenna wire has a pretty substantial ferrite bead on it as well.

CB Kit was due to the dealer on Friday afternoon ..... not sure if they were able to work on it over the weekend (shop seemed pretty busy). So, now I wait ........

This is the fourth CB .... and a mighty expensive install (both in time and money). If this one goes south ... I may take SpyderAnn's suggestion and ask for a refund. Believe I know how to put a J&M on the handle bar and integrate it with a headset (what we did on my hubby's Indian). So, with that in mind .... does anyone have experience with the Blue Tooth Dongle? I would need that in order to integrate the J&M as it has a blue tooth interface module with a wired headset connector.

best person to talk to re the bt dongle is Motorcycle Dave....a site sponsor.
    Bruce

2014 RTS-SE6
    Tri-Axis Handlebars
    Sena BT Dongle
    Sirius Radio
    Dash bar
    Show Chrome Trunk Rack

"You know that a politician is lying if his lips are moving"

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Believe I know how to put a J&M on the handle bar and integrate it with a headset (what we did on my hubby's Indian). So, with that in mind .... does anyone have experience with the Blue Tooth Dongle? I would need that in order to integrate the J&M as it has a blue tooth interface module with a wired headset connector.

I'm confused. What dongle are you referring to, the BRP BT dongle to connect the audio system to a BT helmet headset, or the Sena BT dongle that plugs into a handheld CB to connect to your BT helmet? At this time there is no way to use a wired helmet headset with a handheld CB and use the onboard audio system at the same time.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Here in Aus where we have lots & lots of wide open spaces with reasonably flat ground that means most 27mHz CB's like yours work REALLY well even with a poor quality stubby antenna, but the BRP CB's rapidly scored a very poor reputation - the BEST report about them that I'm aware of calling them 'crap of the stinkiest kind!'

That said, if you have had poor ground issues all along, trying to operate your CB is very likely to cook the internals & the first symptoms I've seen on many 4WD's with this issue has been really bad static type noise - others hear the static howl when you transmit, you hear the static howl despite the squelch when you try to listen. Sound familiar?

So I think you've got 2 (or maybe 3?) problems here:

1). By far the majority of users consider the BRP CB &/or its setup to be of very poor quality; &
    2). The poor earth issues you've probably had from the start are very likely to have killed all the CB's that've been installed fairly quickly anyway....

And for what it's worth, cos it's not strictly CB related, altho it seems you are already well aware of this - your dealer/tech team are either incompetent or just don't give a rat's a*** & are trying to blame anyone/everything else for their shortcomings!!

Are you sure you don't want to do as has already been suggested, & get your $$ back on the BRP CB & install an alternative h/bar mounted kit, maybe with blue-tooth?? G'waan, you know you really wanna!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!