Spyder Garage

Default 2012 RT Issue after canisterectomy

Hello again,
    Before I bypassed the evap canister and plugged the purge valve, I was getting the really strong smell of gas after riding on a hot day.
    Now, it's a cool day and there's raw gas dripping from the vent hose under the bike. Not a lot, but there are several spots on the ground. I put a piece of cardboard under the hose after today's ryde, and within 20 minutes the smell and drips showed up. Any ideas, please.

Spyder Garage

Does this ONLY happen when (or shortly after) you've filled the tank?? Or is it something that occurs even when the engine is sucking the fumes out of the tank?!?

If the former, try not filling the tank quite so much & see if it makes a difference. The latter, you've got a plumbing problem somewhere in amongst all the fuel/emission hoses, you might need to go back to the stock plumbing diagram layout/set-up & replace any filters, valves, or canisters & ensure the hoses are connected correctly & not perished/leaking etc.

Good Luck!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default dripping gas

I haven't heard this one before ...are you sure you did the " Cannisterictomy " correctly ??? ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I haven't heard this one before ...are you sure you did the " Cannisterictomy " correctly ??? ..... Mike
    I believe that I did. I just ran the fuel vent line directly to the original termination point, putting a splice in-line, eliminating the canister. The purge valve line was sealed and plugged.

Spyder Garage

Both of our 2011s would do that with or without the canister... I think it has more to do with the extremele hot cat sitting right under the gas tank and something to do with the fuel return to the tank. I put in the bypass pipe and took the air box out and put in JT's air filter in both. That cut a lot of the heat out and helps. It still isn't 100% gone, but I think that last bit has something to do with the hot fuel being returned back to the tank which we can't do anything about except get a 14+ model.

Filling up with fresh cold gas as close to home when you are done riding helps some too.
    2017 Can Am Commander Limited
    2012 Cadillac CTS-V Black Diamond
    2020 F3 Limited Magma Red (miss the 2011 Viper red)
    2010 RT622 - Black