Spyder Garage

Default SAVING MONEY ON CAT DELETE...............................

Instead of purchasing a new cat delete for my 2012 RT Limited, would it be possible to remove existing converter, have it gutted and then reinstall. I have not checked with my local shops yet, I just need to know if a gutted converter would be the same as a new bypass pipe....

Spyder Garage

A few have done that reasonably successfully, but do bear in mind that the 'primary muffler' or Cat as it is often called is pretty much designed to create heat at that particular point in the exhaust so that what little actual catalyst honeycomb there is in there can work appropriately at catching the unwanted emissions.... so gutting your OE Cat might reduce SOME of the heat generated & may even reduce the turbulence & excessive back pressure created in the exhaust/cat that helps all that happen, but it won't ever be as good at reducing any/all of that as a 'proper' cat eliminator will be.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-15-2017 at 08:22 AM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Howdy,

If you pull off the cat will it throw out some kind of emission code. We I live you don't have to go through inspections but in some states you may have to. Could it possibly come back to bite you in the end instead of just replacing it with the proper item?

Jim
    2012 Can am Spyder RT Limited
    2013 Chevy Camaro SS

Spyder Garage

Default CAT GUTS

SAM_1041.jpg SAM_1042.jpg
    this is a Cat from a 990 RT... this will give you an idea as to what's inside yours...
    the center tube is the actual CAT, the rest is for noise abatement.
    Dan P
    SPYD3R

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by heyharris1 View Post
    Howdy,

If you pull off the cat will it throw out some kind of emission code. We I live you don't have to go through inspections but in some states you may have to. Could it possibly come back to bite you in the end instead of just replacing it with the proper item?

Jim
    Removing the cat will not set a code on any Spyder.
    There is no post cat O2 sensor on any Spyder.
    Spyders are not subject to emissions inspections in any state in the US. Including CA.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

How much money are you REALLY saving?
    By the time you gut the converter, and put it back together: you could have already been riding your bike with the bypass installed.
    Don't forget: having that converter intact will always give you the option to re-install it...
    (What if a potential buyer is scared off by your modifications?)
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Have to agree

If you have reservations on the needing the cat at sometime you should remove it and shelf it. The difference may be mininal...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default GUTTING THE - CAT

Quote Originally Posted by SPYD3R View Post
    SAM_1041.jpg SAM_1042.jpg
    this is a Cat from a 990 RT... this will give you an idea as to what's inside yours...
    the center tube is the actual CAT, the rest is for noise abatement.
    Dan P
    SPYD3R
    The 1330 is similar to above !!! . .. the important point is you can't just remove the plumbing inside and have an empty / hollow Primary Muffler .....it might work but not very efficiently ....IMHO....... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The catalyst-containing honeycomb structure on an F3 is at the inlet of the primary muffler. Simply knock it out with a chisel. I've done that on both our F3s. That maintains a certain amount of back pressure, removes the structure intended to be hot, and increases the exhaust tone a bit. No one runs at WOT to benefit from open exhaust. The other argument is save weight: that primary is adding traction at the rear wheel which an F3 and F3-S need.

The primary muffler has a double wall construction to reduce radiated heat. I get way more heat from the radiators than the gutted primary.

On one I also removed the packing from the secondary muffler. On side by side runs, it is stronger and normally takes another liter/0.3 gals of fuel on a near empty fill. Oh, and it was the strongest at the unofficial drag race at SpyderFest 2015.

Wayne
    pauly1 - SpyderDeb's 'wrench'
    2018 F3-T & 2015 F3-S Road Warrior Foundation Tribute customs
    IBA #48220 SS1000 BB1500
    2015 F3-S , OEM na Basic Black with Custom Wrap

Spyder Garage

I removed mine yesterday and replaced with a Spyderman Exhaust. I could not believe how much the stock system weighed. reduced weight and much less undercarriage heat can only be a good thing. Not to mention my 1330 now sings beautifully.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pauly1 View Post
    The catalyst-containing honeycomb structure on an F3 is at the inlet of the primary muffler. Simply knock it out with a chisel. I've done that on both our F3s. That maintains a certain amount of back pressure, removes the structure intended to be hot, and increases the exhaust tone a bit. No one runs at WOT to benefit from open exhaust. The other argument is save weight: that primary is adding traction at the rear wheel which an F3 and F3-S need.

The primary muffler has a double wall construction to reduce radiated heat. I get way more heat from the radiators than the gutted primary.

On one I also removed the packing from the secondary muffler. On side by side runs, it is stronger and normally takes another liter/0.3 gals of fuel on a near empty fill. Oh, and it was the strongest at the unofficial drag race at SpyderFest 2015.

Wayne
    What kind of tone difference did you get from your chisel work? Was it raspy and high, or low and mean?