Spyder Garage

Question Losing air in rear shock

I own a brand new F3 T. 321 miles Checked the rear shock pressure and it was zero. Put in 60 lbs and in an hour in was down to 30. So obviously I have a leak. I have a few questions and I have yet to buy the service manual so I'm ignorant about the system. 1. Do the latest models F3 have an air bag that I have read about. 2. Has anyone else experience this problem with a new Spyder. 3. What would the pressure be delivered from the factory.

Thats it

So far I love it. Very different but a ton of fun from my two wheel motorcycles.

Thanks

Dave

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default LEAKING

When I bought my 2014 RT ( new ) .... I discovered the same thing ..... it turned out to be a small leak in the fitting just after the Schrader valve .....PS this is for the Air Bag - not the shock absorber ( thanks Pete )..... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 08-14-2017 at 09:13 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by divndave View Post
    I own a brand new F3 T. 321 miles Checked the rear shock pressure and it was zero. Put in 60 lbs and in an hour in was down to 30. So obviously I have a leak. I have a few questions and I have yet to buy the service manual so I'm ignorant about the system. 1. Do the latest models F3 have an air bag that I have read about. 2. Has anyone else experience this problem with a new Spyder. 3. What would the pressure be delivered from the factory.

Thats it

So far I love it. Very different but a ton of fun from my two wheel motorcycles.

Thanks

Dave
    Dave, just a couple of clarifications.....What you have on your F3-T is a rear shock + an airbag. They work together to provide a good ride, but are completely independent pieces of gear...I.e. You can replace the shock without touching the airbag. The airbag is tiny, and most seem to lose a few psi a month (say 10psi). You can lose 20+psi simply by disconnecting your air pump slowly. The pressure from the factory, from what I have experienced, is 0, as everyone sets their own, depending on body weight and requirements for a smoother ride. Most average size riders seem to set at around 35psi. I am 300lbs and set mine at 55 psi.

Now that we have that out of the way, is it possible that while you started with 60psi, you may have left the connector/guage on too long while disconnecting and actually allowed 30psi to escape, keeping in mind the bag is tiny?

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

If you don't have a valve core tool, get one and make sure the valve core is snug. I agree with Peteoz about the volume of the bag is so small, it doesn't take much to lose a lot of pressure.

I use a bicycle tire pump to put about 45 psi in the bag and then use my digital pressure gage to set the pressure at 35. This is on my wife's F3 Ltd. and she's been happy with that pressure.

H2O

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

is there a video on checking and adjusting this rear shock?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tazzel View Post
    is there a video on checking and adjusting this rear shock?
    ......not quite sure what you are asking here, Tazzel. If you mean the airbag, I don't know that there is any need unless you have never checked your tire pressure.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red