Spyder Garage

Default Redirecting hot air from the fan

ST Folk,

2013 STS, 21,000 miles, running better than ever.

OK, this is not a functional issue, there is no heat problem under the tupperware. I tried to find a dealer that woud assist in getting the side panels upgraded with the increased airflow panels, but 3 dealers played deaf, dumb and blind. However no issues with heat, pulled out the airbox and added JT air cleaner, wrapped the front pipe, took off the bottom panels, rerouted wiring, hoses, cannister, opened up air flow from the fog light ports. Runs at 4 bars, +- 1bar, depending on ambient temp. All good here.

My question has to do with the vent port on the right side where the fan exhaust leaves the Spyder. Highway pegs put my foot squarely in front of the vent, too hot in the summer. I noticed that there is a panel that blocks hot air from the floorboard and sends most air out the side port. At the same time, there is clearance and a smaller air channel from the fan which allows air to flow down under the bike and clear from the pilot. This path is smaller cross section and somewhat convoluted, but it would support air flow.

My question is, has anyone tried blocking the side vent and attempting to force the flow downward and under the bike? My concern is that the 90 degree bend in the flow and the reduction in flow area could cause an overheating condition?

Anyone have any experience here, any ideas or thoughts appreciated?

Gerry Fischer

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Check out www.isciride.com they make a product called the Fancan which will do what you're looking for. I just don't know if they made one for the ST. Another option is Spyderpops he likely has a block off plate that will work.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default Don't know. ..!!

but don't know if the fan can is still around. The link will not open to shop only dealers but spyderpops works well though it splits the air out the side and out the bottom.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member BoilerAnimal's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I've wondered about blocking the right side openings off with panels for a 2014 or newer and opening the bottom of that area. Of course, that means that the newer ones are blocked like I think they are and that I can get some parts.

The plate at the bottom is all plastic if I remember correctly. I'm not at home now so I can't check but if it is, cutting an opening to allow the air to flow down and out would cool the foot of any RT Spyder rider.
    On the road again...........and forever young!

2013 RT-S SE 5

Yesterday is a cancelled check.
    Tomorrow is a promissory note.
    Today is cash.......spend it wisely.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default YOUR ISSUE

Quote Originally Posted by spyderfish View Post
    ST Folk,

2013 STS, 21,000 miles, running better than ever.

OK, this is not a functional issue, there is no heat problem under the tupperware. I tried to find a dealer that woud assist in getting the side panels upgraded with the increased airflow panels, but 3 dealers played deaf, dumb and blind. However no issues with heat, pulled out the airbox and added JT air cleaner, wrapped the front pipe, took off the bottom panels, rerouted wiring, hoses, cannister, opened up air flow from the fog light ports. Runs at 4 bars, +- 1bar, depending on ambient temp. All good here.

My question has to do with the vent port on the right side where the fan exhaust leaves the Spyder. Highway pegs put my foot squarely in front of the vent, too hot in the summer. I noticed that there is a panel that blocks hot air from the floorboard and sends most air out the side port. At the same time, there is clearance and a smaller air channel from the fan which allows air to flow down under the bike and clear from the pilot. This path is smaller cross section and somewhat convoluted, but it would support air flow.

My question is, has anyone tried blocking the side vent and attempting to force the flow downward and under the bike? My concern is that the 90 degree bend in the flow and the reduction in flow area could cause an overheating condition?

Anyone have any experience here, any ideas or thoughts appreciated?

Gerry Fischer
    If you can DIY .... and have an imagination .... they sell very small computer fans ( 30 mm to 100mm ) for cheap on E-bay .... they move 25 cu ft per min for the 30mm size and that increases as they get larger ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Default ST and Heat Issues

Quote Originally Posted by spyderfish View Post
    ST Folk, 2013 STS, 21,000 miles, running better than ever. OK, this is not a functional issue, there is no heat problem under the tupperware. I tried to find a dealer that woud assist in getting the side panels upgraded with the increased airflow panels, but 3 dealers played deaf, dumb and blind. Gerry Fischer
    Look on this same Forum (Spyder ST - Sport Touring) and read through this post: Thanks Guys and thanks BRP
    There are part numbers in one of the threads.
    2014 ST Limited

Spyder Garage

Default I have

blocked off that panel for the winter riding and used Spyderpops deflector for the summer
    Improvise, Adapt, Overcome, Semper Fi
    2020 RT
    Limited heated seats
    removable back rest & rack
    XK Glow light
    Paint with light painted panels
    (Gone but not forgotten ) 2009 RS SE5
    2020 RT , Chalk White

Spyder Garage
    Marilyn 2023 RTL Red
    John 2023 RTL Black

previous:
    2015 RTS SE6 Red
    2015 F3S SE6 Silver
    2011 RT SM5 Silver
    2013 STS SM5 Silver

"common sense will prevail....but we see no sign of that"

Spyder Garage

Default Thanx all for comments

I did block off the lower 75% of the vent opening. This solves the issue and I can use the highway peg without roasting my right foot.

Not surprisingly, the bike runs a little hotter, still not over 5 bars, but I do not see 4 bars like I did prior to blocking.

Not sure if I will keep the vent blocked, I like the cooler running engine,I believe cooler is better for longevity.

Thanx for responding.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Glad your foot is cooler

BUT

I think it is a big mistake to trap more heat under the Tupperware - stators have been known to cook and melt (mine did and I am not alone)

I strongly urge you to get the airflow panels, giving your dealer the part numbers kindly passed on above. If they don't play ball, contact BRP Care immediately.

This was a Goodwill Fix introduced at the time of the RT 13 heat recall - this fix is essential for the health of the 13 ST - it is as much about keeping components a little cooler as it is about ride comfort, if not more.