Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: checking oil

Spyder Garage

Most auto parts stores carry oil suction guns. These have a hose on the intake that will reach in through any fill opening. They don't cost much.
    -Scotty

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    For those who asked, normal operating temperature is at least three bars on the gauge, since this is where the thermostat opens. Warming it in the driveway to this level may be insufficient, since the oil warms more slowly than the coolant. I highly recommend checking the level after a ride. If you can't, let the engine stay at three bars or above for several minutes before you check. Even then, your oil level may read low, and if you add, you could overfill.
    -Scotty
    Thanks Scotty,

I now see I should have ridden the Spyder first. Instead, I checked the oil yesterday after letting the Spyder idle to 3 bars. Then, checked after a few minutes. It was just less than midpoint between fill and add. I think, if I did it the way you suggested by riding first, I would have gotten a more accurate reading.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spy08 View Post
    funny you mention this...i did the first oil change on my spyder back in dec and it took 4 qts. On tuesday i did my wife's bike (which i bought used about 2000 miles. i filled up with 3 qt, started it and put the final qt after that, and guess what it was overfilled as you describe.

I had taken out all the old oil from the resivore and what came out from were the filter was
    Sounds like you didn't drain from the engine also----