Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: JUST READ THIS

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate looks at -- View Post
    .One thing that was unanimous, in our opinion, was the Spyder needed an entry level model. We could see that this year.
    That would be great! I agree Spyder are too expensive to get into. I spoke with someone the other day and he said his dream is to own one, some day. A few months ago someone stopped me in a parking lot. He used to own a Spyder, and lived it but had to sell. He said he would buy another in a heartbeat if he could afford one.
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    Do you live your life every day planning on what bad thing may befall you?
    To a small extent, yes.

At least I do not live my life every day with my head in the sand and just ignoring the bad things that are likely to happen soon.

It sounds like you DO; a lot of people do........and that is a BAD thing.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by heyharris1 View Post
    ...I filled out the loan paper work (Credit score is 730, good long career in law enforcement) and it was still damn near impossible to get financing. I think most banks don't want to finance them...
    That hasn't been our experience at all. Financing through our credit union was available in 15 minutes.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Yea.............

Quote Originally Posted by oldguyinCT View Post
    All may find this interesting.

http://2016.brp.com/

Here's what I'm talking about.

"It isn’t enough to grow our product lines; we also need to enhance our dealer network and increase our brand awareness."

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post

I'm not done making people miserable here on Earth yet...

You're right! Now that I've reached this wonderful age of 66, it's just amazing what one can get away with. I'm known as the "crazy aunt," the "what-will-she-do-next friend" and the "geez, your wife did what?!" spouse among my husbands buddies. I just figured I've paid my dues after a life of playing by the rules, working hard and being a responsible adult. Everyone of these gray hairs - WHICH I NO LONGER DYE - has been earned and don't give a crap about what's proper, acceptable, or what anyone else says or does.

Hopefully we'll live long enough to beat the odds when it comes to SS payouts and be a general PIA to anyone who thinks, "They're too old to be doing/saying/wearing/trying (fill in the blank there) or (my favorite) "What the heck are you doing buying a "motorcycle" at your age? Are you two trying to kill yourselves? If you want the wind in your faces, what's wrong with a convertible? You guys are definately fighting to stay young - is that what this is about?! Go to Florida already."

Thinking about a pair of chaps ..... (Just to see their faces!)
    He's on his RT She's on her F3

And the Keys to a Happy Marriage: Separate
    Bathrooms, Individual Remote TV Clickers, and
    His and Her Spyders.

"If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die,
    I want to go where they went." ~ ~ Will Rogers

"Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few."
    ~ ~ Winston Churchill in his tribute to the RAF.

"I'd like to know why well-educated idiots keep apologizing for lazy and complaining
    people who think the world owes them a living." ~ ~ John Wayne

GOS 3799

Spyder Garage

I'm not done making people miserable here on Earth yet...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    To a small extent, yes.

At least I do not live my life every day with my head in the sand and just ignoring the bad things that are likely to happen soon.

It sounds like you DO; a lot of people do........and that is a BAD thing.
    Good for you. You sound like the glass is half empty type. We have to have those.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Nor only is his glass "Half-Empty"; it also seems to be dirty, and cracked.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Nor only is his glass "Half-Empty"; it also seems to be dirty, and cracked.

if the glass is cracked (slow leak), are you sure its still half empty? it could be 3/4 empty

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That question is way above my pay grade...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by LateLifeCrisis View Post
    You're right! Now that I've reached this wonderful age of 66, it's just amazing what one can get away with. I'm known as the "crazy aunt," the "what-will-she-do-next friend" and the "geez, your wife did what?!" spouse among my husbands buddies. I just figured I've paid my dues after a life of playing by the rules, working hard and being a responsible adult. Everyone of these gray hairs - WHICH I NO LONGER DYE - has been earned and don't give a crap about what's proper, acceptable, or what anyone else says or does. Hopefully we'll live long enough to beat the odds when it comes to SS payouts and be a general PIA to anyone who thinks, "They're too old to be doing/saying/wearing/trying (fill in the blank there) or (my favorite) "What the heck are you doing buying a "motorcycle" at your age? Are you two trying to kill yourselves? If you want the wind in your faces, what's wrong with a convertible? You guys are definately fighting to stay young - is that what this is about?! Go to Florida already." Thinking about a pair of chaps ..... (Just to see their faces!)
    My wife is retiring from her position as Executive Director of a large local nonprofit. We just bought her a Spyder of her own and she's been posting to her Facebook page accounts and pictures of trips she and I have taken. Her friends are amazed but very encouraging. She'd probably enjoy meeting you!

Anyway, yeah, the point is, the baby boomers are a different type of generation than has come before in many ways, and we're not going away for at least another 20 years, and we're going to live life large in the meantime! Let the youngsters assume the burdens of middle age - we're going to play in our dotage!!
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Good for you. You sound like the glass is half empty type. We have to have those.
    No not really.
    I am a realist.
    There is a half glass of water.
    Whether it is going up or down requires careful observation........and ignoring what you hear unless it matches an unbiased observation.

WAY too much biased BS floating around these days.

Spyder Garage

No not really.
    I am a realist.
    There is a half glass of water.
    Whether it is going up or down requires careful observation........and ignoring what you hear unless it matches an unbiased observation.

I'm an engineer. If the glass is half-full, then the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate looks at -- View Post
    Most likely that is because you don't understand all that has gone into the design of this truly unique vehicle. Way beyond what Harley has put into their trikes. The features that make this vehicle safe are truly unique and can't be compared to any other vehicle.
    Yes. If people feel it's overpriced, they haven't thought it through, and they're comparing it to your average $11,000 motorcycle. You get a lot more of motorcycle with a Can Am. (duh)
    It's as dumb a comment as if someone would say a Chevrolet Corvette is way overpriced because you can buy a different Chevrolet for $17,000.

With regard to lagging sales, I think it's the same story with any brand of motorcycle, with the maybe exception of Harley. Many people look at it like I do- Why should I pay $31K for a brand new one when I can buy one on the used market with 646 miles on the ODO for $14,000? Yes, it's a couple years older in model years and there's no warranty, but for $17,000 in savings I'm willing to take the chance on it.

Since this is my first post, here's my background. I've bought and ridden many bikes. Mostly BMW, Honda, and Triumph. I buy all of them used and not abused, with low miles. A very lightly used $13,000 Honda or Triumph can be had for $5K to $6K. That's how I buy. Let the first owner take the 30% depreciation hit when he rides it out of the dealership and into the street. I'm fine with a 2015 model year of whatever. I don't need to be the first with a 2018 where all they did was change the colors and maybe the shape of the gas tank!

I'm 63 yrs old, neither weak nor sick nor female nor disabled. (knock wood). I'm looking at a couple Spyders, used, of course, starting tomorrow. I've had interest in them since the beginning and now I feel the time is right for me to get one. I'll be selling my Triumph Bonnie.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by classicvw View Post
    Yes. If people feel it's overpriced, they haven't thought it through, and they're comparing it to your average $11,000 motorcycle. You get a lot more of motorcycle with a Can Am. (duh)
    It's as dumb a comment as if someone would say a Chevrolet Corvette is way overpriced because you can buy a different Chevrolet for $17,000.

With regard to lagging sales, I think it's the same story with any brand of motorcycle, with the maybe exception of Harley. Many people look at it like I do- Why should I pay $31K for a brand new one when I can buy one on the used market with 646 miles on the ODO for $14,000? Yes, it's a couple years older in model years and there's no warranty, but for $17,000 in savings I'm willing to take the chance on it.

Since this is my first post, here's my background. I've bought and ridden many bikes. Mostly BMW, Honda, and Triumph. I buy all of them used and not abused, with low miles. A very lightly used $13,000 Honda or Triumph can be had for $5K to $6K. That's how I buy. Let the first owner take the 30% depreciation hit when he rides it out of the dealership and into the street. I'm fine with a 2015 model year of whatever. I don't need to be the first with a 2018 where all they did was change the colors and maybe the shape of the gas tank!

I'm 63 yrs old, neither weak nor sick nor female nor disabled. (knock wood). I'm looking at a couple Spyders, used, of course, starting tomorrow. I've had interest in them since the beginning and now I feel the time is right for me to get one. I'll be selling my Triumph Bonnie.
    I can relate and agree with most of that. I'm 63, ridden 2 wheels since I was a teenager, and traded one of the H-D's for a 2008 Spyder GS back in 2015. After about $2K worth of modifications to improve comfort and reliability, we love "The Thing" (as wife dubbed it). Although we've only logged around 7K miles on it with no serious issues, so far, I'm happier than Woody Woodpecker in a lumber yard.
    Fog lights
    Tour wind screen & deflectors
    Auxiliary power
    KewlMetal - radiator web
    SpyderPops - Air Dam, Heat Shield & Air Management
    Rivco - floorboards
    Easy Risers
    ISCI - passenger armrests
    Canisterectomy Stant 10819 gas cap
    DYI rear splash guards
    Frunk light
    Handlebar foam grips,cup holder & mirrors
    Wool seat cover
    Rear rack bag
    Car tires Solar 175/65r14 - 215/60r15
    MSD 8.5mm Super Conductor Wires (DIY)
    LED strips brake/running
    2008 GS , MSD 8.5mm Super Conductor Wires (DIY) - Autolite Iridium Extreme Sport Spark Plugs #XS4162 Stock BLACK/SILVER

Spyder Garage

I can agree with this statement. But, everyone is biased in what they believe in. As an example, because I don't agree with you on the bubble bursting, and the 1st world countries going to hell in a hand basket, you say my head is in the sand. So, you're biased in one direction, and I in another.

Now, I forgot what the original intent of this thread was. Oh yeah, I just checked; the spyder is going to disappear. I doubt it, and I certainly won't lose any sleep over it. I purchased my 2008 in Jan. 20009, and if by chance BRP stops production, it won't affect me; I've gotten my monies worth out of it. You can see which way I'm biased.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Is there a difference between being biased; and having an honest difference of opinion?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yes. If people feel it's overpriced, they haven't thought it through, and they're comparing it to your average $11,000 motorcycle. You get a lot more of motorcycle with a Can Am. (duh) It's as dumb a comment as if someone would say a Chevrolet Corvette is way overpriced because you can buy a different Chevrolet for $17,000. I'm 63 yrs old, neither weak nor sick nor female nor disabled. (knock wood). I'm looking at a couple Spyders, used, of course, starting tomorrow. I've had interest in them since the beginning and now I feel the time is right for me to get one. I'll be selling my Triumph Bonnie.
    Well said!
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Is there a difference between being biased; and having an honest difference of opinion?

I'd say it was the same; but, I'm biased.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by HankD View Post
    I'm an engineer. If the glass is half-full, then the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.
    I'm an Engineering Technician. That depends......on whether or not the water is still flowing.

Engineers design things; Technicians make them work.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I started my Spyder shopping with almost exactly the same theory as you expressed.
    I bought a used one, in fact.
    It had so many niggling little problems that I traded it back in for a new one.

IF.....you really can afford a new, or almost new, one, I strongly suggest that you do that.
    And by that I mean that you can pay cash......or at least 50% down in cash; otherwise you REALLY can't afford it.

The design is pretty complex and it took them some time to work out the bugs.
    They are still trying to get good technicians trained and experience in many locations.

An older model CAN be a good value but the odds are that you will need some patience.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

And the fact that people even ASK that question is a perfect illustration of the problem.

Bias is based more on emotion and propaganda and ulterior motives.
    Don't confuse me with facts, my mind is already made up.

An honest difference of opinion is hopefully based on facts.......and both parties are willing, and maybe even eager, to learn more.
    Tell me more about that.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Now, I forgot what the original intent of this thread was. Oh yeah, I just checked; the spyder is going to disappear.
    I wonder what one would find if you Google: Long term economic outlook for the US. ??

I don't follow this closely but have heard some things lately that give me pause.

Like that total personal debt is now WAY higher than just before the '08 crash.
    And most of the rules trying to prevent shaky credit are now either gone or not being enforced.

Auto sales are down; both new and used.

Wages have not kept up with the apparent growth in the rest of the economy.
    And that is critically important in a "service based" economy; ALL of the wealth comes from the consumers.

Once again, it seems that we are killing the goose that laid the golden eggs.

And the first things to go when there is a downturn are the intermediate high end items.
    If you are Donald Trump, you can still afford a yacht.
    But if you are un- or under employed all of a sudden, you probably can't afford a Spyder anymore.
    And the Spyder dealer can't afford to enlarge his business or buy an Audi.
    When the food chain collapses, pretty much everybody suffers......except those at the very, very top.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you just cut your own throat now: you wouldn't have to suffer through any more of the decline...

Sometimes it is best to just face the Music...

...And DANCE!!