Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: JUST READ THIS

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    I think this is an experience we can all relate to. Thanks.
    Yup! We still market for BRP and have been doing so since 2008. Never said any of the "dark" stuff to a potential customer.

When I bought our 2nd in 2009--BRP sent me a pin that said "2009 Ambassadors" and a really nice photo album to put pictures in. I still have the pin on my "trophy" vest. The "ex" snarfed the photos and album.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 08-14-2017 at 03:39 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Road-Kill View Post

People in their 60s are slowing up in life, disabled people have physical issues that require less income and more personal expenses.
    I'm kind of confused. Are you contradicting yourself. If someone has more personal expenses, I would think they would require more income.

But, I can agree with you about the demographic, but I'm not saying all spyder riders. Based on what you read on here, there are a lot with physical ailments. It's like one person expresses with physical problems, and then others pile on with theirs. Oh, Road-Kill, let's not forget overweight. You seem to have caught everything else. By the way, where do you fit in?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=UtahPete;1290878]
    Wow...this is feedback. Ok, I'll admit I made it all up. BRP was wrong in their demographics from actual sales, what misogynists and anti-elderly they are! The older crowd are running marathons and its the younger crowd experiencing degenerative diseases. Women earn less then men cause of um huh hmmm duh hum aaaaa..........patriarchy? The real money is with the older crowd and is why the government refuses to increase social security benefits.....smart government! /QUOTE]

Where can I get Can-Am official marketing studies? That might prove helpful with a project I'm working on. Thanks.
    I believe I saw that posted on this forum....somewhere. Call BRP, they will talk demographics as that's not secret stuff.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

These problems will only be solved when sales numbers dramatically improve. Can-Am is spending a relatively large amount of their operating budget to promote Spyders; if we really want to see Spyders thrive, not just survive, we need to help them out, not be constantly critical of their engineering and marketing efforts I think.[/QUOTE]

I agree with you in a large part Pete, but when BRP won't help me out why should I help them out, it's a two way street you know. Don't get me too wrong here, I love the you-know-what out of my spyder because it will, and I hope, keep me riding for many more years. Like most owners I can no longer ride 2 wheels because of medical issues. BRP is trying to capture the younger market but so far they've got us and our sustainability is not that long. Harley is in much worse shape because if you own one you can't get rid of it. The used market is saturated and new prices are so high they've limited their buying market. BRP is approaching the same situation with their spyder line because of the age of the owners and potential buyer's pocket books. Just look at the want-to-buy or want-to-sell section on this site. If I knew what I know now I would have bought one off this site rather than the showroom floor. If BRP won't help out their new owners why buy new when there are numerous good buys on the used market. The results are the same. Almost everywhere I park my spyder someone's asking me how I like it. My answer is always the same, I love it. However I caution them in regard to the manufacturer and that if they were to purchase one to make sure they seek out a competent dealer. Quality dealers are far and few between and that's their only go between if and when serious technical issues arise with the machine. One more thing, I've heard this from a number of owners; the spyder's engine and frame are superb, however it's the crappy Asian parts that are the root of the problems, and my dealer's service department employees agree.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    I'm kind of confused. Are you contradicting yourself. If someone has more personal expenses, I would think they would require more income.

But, I can agree with you about the demographic, but I'm not saying all spyder riders. Based on what you read on here, there are a lot with physical ailments. It's like one person expresses with physical problems, and then others pile on with theirs. Oh, Road-Kill, let's not forget overweight. You seem to have caught everything else. By the way, where do you fit in?
    I'm not a demographic that fits into anything I mentioned. I'm early 50s, excellent physical condition, financially sound and can ride anything out there. I bought the Spyder cause it looked and rode different. My other bike being considered was a sport tourer. To answer your other question, I find that those with a disability need more cash because they need more help. Compounding their diability they can not work to get that cash thus tapping into savings......if they saved anything. My buddy is mid 60s, failing health and broke because he is both a financial fool and cant work a full time job. (I hope he never reads this). We are all getting older. We all age differently. We all experience accidents and recover differently. Its called life and remaining real about everything helps better then pretending you are more then what you are. My thoughts.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    I agree with you in a large part Pete, but when BRP won't help me out why should I help them out, it's a two way street you know. Don't get me too wrong here, I love the you-know-what out of my spyder because it will, and I hope, keep me riding for many more years. Like most owners I can no longer ride 2 wheels because of medical issues. BRP is trying to capture the younger market but so far they've got us and our sustainability is not that long. Harley is in much worse shape because if you own one you can't get rid of it. The used market is saturated and new prices are so high they've limited their buying market. BRP is approaching the same situation with their spyder line because of the age of the owners and potential buyer's pocket books. Just look at the want-to-buy or want-to-sell section on this site. If I knew what I know now I would have bought one off this site rather than the showroom floor. If BRP won't help out their new owners why buy new when there are numerous good buys on the used market. The results are the same. Almost everywhere I park my spyder someone's asking me how I like it. My answer is always the same, I love it. However I caution them in regard to the manufacturer and that if they were to purchase one to make sure they seek out a competent dealer. Quality dealers are far and few between and that's their only go between if and when serious technical issues arise with the machine. One more thing, I've heard this from a number of owners; the spyder's engine and frame are superb, however it's the crappy Asian parts that are the root of the problems, and my dealer's service department employees agree.
    I think we're on the same page. Just a different approach maybe.
    2014 RTL Platinum

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) Spyder_Cowgirl's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Missing

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Let's recap your statement here: We're all old, sick, and economically disadvantaged...

Did I miss anything?
    Yes, Bob, you did .... we are also weaklings ("most women" are) .... nope, I don't think so. I know I am physically stronger than many men and also mentally tougher than most anybody. Of course ... that is just my opinion.

All the best ... Ann
    __________________________________________________ _
    2016 RT Limited -- "Jubilee" (as in Cherries)
    Guardian Bell (gift from spyderowboy)
    ISCI Dual Flag Mount – Tall Poles
    Lamonster Bottle Holder and Spyder Cuff
    Spyderpops Missing Belt Guard
    Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Rear Run / Brake / Turn LEDs
    Spyderpops Mirror LEDs
    Custom Dynamics HMT Brake

Spyderpops Keep Out The Trash (KOTT) Grills
    Don't Eat Mud / mudflap
    __________________________________________________ __

Spyder Garage

Hmmmm.....the dealership we deal with can't keep them in stock? Is it a regional thing or quality of dealership? We have a dealership within 30 minutes of our home, that we drive by because of their service quality. We drive another hour for quality service.
    2016 RT Limited , White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm not a demographic that fits into anything I mentioned. I'm early 50s, excellent physical condition, financially sound and can ride anything out there. I bought the Spyder cause it looked and rode different. My other bike being considered was a sport tourer. To answer your other question, I find that those with a disability need more cash because they need more help. Compounding their diability they can not work to get that cash thus tapping into savings......if they saved anything. My buddy is mid 60s, failing health and broke because he is both a financial fool and cant work a full time job. (I hope he never reads this). We are all getting older. We all age differently. We all experience accidents and recover differently. Its called life and remaining real about everything helps better then pretending you are more then what you are. My thoughts.
    Actually you are in their demographic. Previously it was reported that 25% were never ridden, 25% were women, 25% had physical limitations, and the last 25% could ride two wheels but bought one because they were different. So there you are RoadKill you fit in to the BRP plan.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder_Cowgirl View Post
    Yes, Bob, you did .... we are also weaklings ("most women" are) .... nope, I don't think so. I know I am physically stronger than many men and also mentally tougher than most anybody. Of course ... that is just my opinion. All the best ... Ann
    My wife says I'd better not comment on this!
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by michrick View Post
    Hmmmm.....the dealership we deal with can't keep them in stock? Is it a regional thing or quality of dealership? We have a dealership within 30 minutes of our home, that we drive by because of their service quality. We drive another hour for quality service.
    I think it's regional. On the coasts, where there are many major metropolitan areas, the market is big enough to keep dealers' sales up to where they're profitable. In the heartland, it's less so and in the intermountain west where we live, population densities don't support large, profitable dealerships (with the possible exception of the Denver area and Las Vegas)
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Default People Still Amazed

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    He says "at least one dealer", I'm not going to give this article a lot of credibility based on second hand information from one dealer.
    People are still taking pictures when we go out cruising here in Virginia Beach! Always asking me about the bike (always love to talk about it!). I do think the price tag is steep when compared to the Slingshot (yes - it is NOT a motorcycle!!) but looks rly cool. I think a lot of people would love to have one, especially since you can start from zero experience. All the people wince when I mention what they cost ! Combine this with Harley sales going down, it's a trend not on Can Am itself. All bike sales are plummeting, as the Millenials seem not interested. We see Harley introducing the 500cc (?) stripped down version trying to gain market. It's something that will get sluggish for a while and hopefully rebound.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    Survey's can be adjusted to your liking. If this writer is not fond of the spyder or three wheeler in general then he will check with dealers that have found the spyder not to be their most profitable line. We have seen many dealers drop spyders because they are a slower seller. They are up there in price but then so are the Harley's, Vision's and Indian's so that is not the main factor. So to be fair they need to dig deeper.... Where they are geographically, weatherwise, populationwise etc...all make a big difference. Considering they have dropped three models would make it seem like they are going down....
    I agree Gene.
    Droppinf the 3 models is a sign of something. We may have a discontinued classic

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

I think that to grow the market BRP has to reach a younger demo. My daughter is getting to the driving age and would be great for her to come out riding with me. I truly don't want her on two wheels and I can't justify over $20K to buy her a new spyder. When the younger demo can purchase a 2 wheel for $10k it's not hard to see why you're not seeing younger people out on Spyders. I find it hard to believe that BRP can't build a bike for the $12-15k mark. I just purchased a new Ski Doo 850 Renegade last year for less. Maybe it's a sell less units for big profit than more units on the road at smaller margins. Now that Polaris has a few years out there with their 3 wheel car , BRP will need to do something to get more people into the showrooms. Just my 2 cents.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stevencovert View Post
    People are still taking pictures when we go out cruising here in Virginia Beach! Always asking me about the bike (always love to talk about it!). I do think the price tag is steep when compared to the Slingshot (yes - it is NOT a motorcycle!!) but looks rly cool. I think a lot of people would love to have one, especially since you can start from zero experience. All the people wince when I mention what they cost ! Combine this with Harley sales going down, it's a trend not on Can Am itself. All bike sales are plummeting, as the Millenials seem not interested. We see Harley introducing the 500cc (?) stripped down version trying to gain market. It's something that will get sluggish for a while and hopefully rebound.
    I think it's the traditional American cruiser style bike that is losing market share. Millennials seem more interested in European and Japanese sports bikes and adventure touring bikes. I think the Spyder F3 is aimed right at them and should do well in affluent areas.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    if we really want to see Spyders thrive, not just survive, we need to help them out, not be constantly critical of their engineering and marketing efforts I think.
    It sounds an awful lot like you are saying that present owners should lie or candy coat the truth.
    I don't agree with that at all.

When their engineering or marketing or service comes up to where it meets the owners expectations, praise will follow.
    The tail does not wag the dog.

I briefly had an '11 RT and HATED IT.....mostly because the dealer was blowing smoke up my butt, constantly telling me it was fine when it was NOT.
    Now I have a brand new '17 and love it.
    Once I get a problem figured out with the CB, I will have pretty much nothing to complain about.

Spyder Garage

All I know is there is no market for an older gs/rs now, the prices are dropping like rocks and there is no chance at a private sale, I have been trying to sell mine to upgrade for a year and now I have decided to ride it till it dies because I will not get my money back out of a new one if I buy it

Spyder Garage

My local dealer has had a great year so far selling Spyders. Up here on the Cabot Trail we have seen 15 Spyders so far in 2 days. We have had a number of bike riders ask us about our Spyder. Alot of them are seriously thinking about buying one in the very near future. Just my observations. Bruce

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Kwalsh View Post
    All I know is there is no market for an older gs/rs now, the prices are dropping like rocks and there is no chance at a private sale, I have been trying to sell mine to upgrade for a year and now I have decided to ride it till it dies because I will not get my money back out of a new one if I buy it
    Let's face it, none of us will ever be able to sell our Spyders for what we would want to get for them. Especially the '13 RT's, which you can't give away. But, the same holds true for just about any car, truck, motorcycle, etc. As soon as the salesman hands you the keys, the vehicle has depreciated by an average of 30%. If you paid $30k for a car five years ago, and wanted to sell it today for $25k, there is no way you would ever get that. So, you're stuck with it until you decide that, well, maybe $12k is good enough. Point is, you never get back what you put into any vehicle,
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    It sounds an awful lot like you are saying that present owners should lie or candy coat the truth.
    I don't agree with that at all.
    No, I'm not saying that. Would never suggest being dishonest or disingenuous.
    2014 RTL Platinum

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default It's only my opinion.......

First, if there is a down turn in sales it may be a regional thing, I think some dealers are
    more interested in selling Side by side and water craft and they got stuck with selling Spyders.
    There are only 2 dealers in my area one is an all out motorcycle dealer that also sells and services Spyders, the other you would have a hard time finding a spyder there because they are all surrounded by boats, other water craft and side by side units, if you didn't know they were a dealer for them you would not know by driving by.
    It in my opinion is the dealers fault for not marketing them correctly, the profit margin I am sure is as good or in some cases better than any other motorcycle type product.
    SERVICE that seems to be a dirty word, I have owned over 30 motorcycles in my 75
    years of life, all brands you all know and not one of them ever cost me $250+ dollars to get an
    oil change, I have a 1 ton dully shop truck with a 460 V8 and I can get about 7 oil changes on it
    for that amount. The repair and maintenance costs are more than others, There are not enough
    trained service personal in house when you go in for work, that is I am sure part of the long wait
    time to get things done.
    NOW that I have said my 2 cents worth I am very HAPPY with my Can Am Spyder and enjoy it
    plenty, My guess is I will buy another one when I am ready for it.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oldguyinCT View Post
    Let's face it, none of us will ever be able to sell our Spyders for what we would want to get for them. Especially the '13 RT's, which you can't give away. But, the same holds true for just about any car, truck, motorcycle, etc. As soon as the salesman hands you the keys, the vehicle has depreciated by an average of 30%. If you paid $30k for a car five years ago, and wanted to sell it today for $25k, there is no way you would ever get that. So, you're stuck with it until you decide that, well, maybe $12k is good enough. Point is, you never get back what you put into any vehicle,

Well, my grandpa bought this new in 1951 for $4500. There is about $20K of rework put into it. It's worth about $70K. There are exceptions....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Probably heard it from a dealer in Alaska!!!

Spyder Garage

My wife loves her F3, but when it is out of warranty we may not keep it unless it has been reasonably trouble free. The prognosis is pretty good, so far, with others having high mileage and little to no issues. She doesn't put on a lot of miles each year, so the bike should last a while yet. So far, in the two years that she has had it, she has not had any issues. We hope that the trend continues even though she still has 3 more years of warranty left.
    I think that when we see a new player on the 3 wheel market come in BRP will have no choice but to re-evaluate how much they charge for the Spyder and will be forced to come out with a less expensive version for the younger crowd. Why they haven't done so already is puzzling to me. I also do know that when Yamaha, or Honda does finally comes out with their reverse trike that a lot of people will leave BRP for the more 'reliable' brands. Especially, those that have had a lot of problems with their Spyder, or dealer.
    As for the declining number of Spyders being sold, not at our dealer. They are still selling them almost as fast as they come in.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Besides mine, I have spotted only two other Spyders on the road (and not in the immediate presence of our local mega-dealer) and that was 5-6 years ago. Took many trips on my last two Wings over the past 10 years and never saw a Spyder on the road. They are still rare as hen's teeth here in the desert.

Took mine to my local mega-dealer several weeks ago to get a key programmed and toured their service area. Full of side-by-sides but my Spyder was the only one there (and not for actual service).