Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Harder steering after laser alignment

Hello members, I just had new tires, belt adjustment, laser alignment, tri-axis handlebars done on my 2015 RTS right before I left for Sturgis. I put on 2300 miles and can't say I'm impressed with the handling of the trike now. It seems to go down the road straight on a flat road but takes a lot more "muscle" to operate, more push pull to keep it going straight on the roads with any crowns and a lot more turning effort in twisties. Raising the handlebars up as high as they would go helped some by giving me more whole arm leverage. Some background, I put 8500 miles on before anything was done to bike and my arms never got tired, including a 1500 mile trip on the circle tour of Lake Superior. Could it be the toe,out of spec? It is almost like it only wants to go in a straight line and anything else takes more constant steering effort. When dealer did alignment they said steering angle was set way off and alignment was way off. New front tires appear to look ok at this point? Any thoughts? safe riding!
    Baja Ron sway bar, Spyder Dock, Highway Brackets,Trident pegs, Spyder Decals, Signal Mirror led strips, Utopia backrest, 5 pc. Hopnel liner set, cargo nets side/rear doors. Mesh bag front trunk, foam grips, spare trunk key, passenger armrests/storage pouch's, ram mounts/GPS, Drink holder,Phone, Passenger clamp-on drink holder, rear trunk tap light, custom plate frame, spyder fastener bolts, adjustable lower mirror wind deflectors, F4 Customs windshield -wide,tall,clear,vent,Chrome Spyder grill.

Spyder Garage

Sounds like you need a bit more air in the front tires.
    Get it up on the balls of it's feet, so to speak.
    Not too much air, because then it will be too twitchy.
    With the Kendas, it's about 18 lbs.
    I suspect you may need about 23 lbs with your new tires, but that's just a guesstimate. You'll need to do some trial and error to focus in on the right setting.

As always, my free advice comes with a double your money back guarantee.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Did the dealership use the Rolo laser alignment system? Was the steering sensor reset with B.U.D.S. AFTER the laser alignment? Something is not right. Were I in your shoes I'd take it back to the dealer tell them do the alignment over again on their nickel and ensure they road test it. The first laser alignment should have rectified any toe error. And I agree that you should start with recommended tore pressure, 20 +/- 2psi with tires within 1/2 pound of each other.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Jaybros and Threewheels, Thanks for your response,suggestions. I have frt tire pressure at 18 psi,rear at 23 psi. New Fermoza's on front, Kumo on rear. Dealer said they reset steering angle with Budds to "o". Said the angle was way off when they checked it. Also said toe was way off but didnt tell me which way or how they reset it. Yes they use the rolo system.........My buddy has same year and almost same mileage and same tires etc. and had his done there and said he has no problems. Im going to try driving his and see how it compares to mine before I call dealer. Maybe i drove it so wrong for so long it just feels different? It did chew the front tires bad on the originals but thought was just the tires from all the posts.............................
    Last edited by trikerbiker645; 08-16-2017 at 08:41 AM.
    Baja Ron sway bar, Spyder Dock, Highway Brackets,Trident pegs, Spyder Decals, Signal Mirror led strips, Utopia backrest, 5 pc. Hopnel liner set, cargo nets side/rear doors. Mesh bag front trunk, foam grips, spare trunk key, passenger armrests/storage pouch's, ram mounts/GPS, Drink holder,Phone, Passenger clamp-on drink holder, rear trunk tap light, custom plate frame, spyder fastener bolts, adjustable lower mirror wind deflectors, F4 Customs windshield -wide,tall,clear,vent,Chrome Spyder grill.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I run my fronts at 19 PSi and I can drive with almost no effort in steering unless making a turn they yes you have to use some force.

But straight roads should be dream to drive mine is just that. I can one with one arm holding the handle bars or I can drive with no hands on a really nice smooth road.

In fact 55 just was repaved around Bollingbrook area and the Spyder really loves that road now...

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default HARD STEERING - TIRE PSI

Quote Originally Posted by trikerbiker645 View Post
    Jaybros and Threewheels, Thanks for your response,suggestions. I have frt tire pressure at 21 psi,rear at 23 psi. New Fermoza's on front, Kumo on rear. Dealer said they reset steering angle with Budds to "o". Said the angle was way off when they checked it. Also said toe was way off but didnt tell me which way or how they reset it. Yes they use the rolo system.........My buddy has same year and almost same mileage and same tires etc. and had his done there and said he has no problems. Im going to try driving his and see how it compares to mine before I call dealer. Maybe i drove it so wrong for so long it just feels different? It did chew the front tires bad on the originals but thought was just the tires from all the posts.............................
    Trust me on this .... the Formosa's can be at 14 psi and you won't feel what you are feeling if everything else is in correct alignment...... The ROLO system is GREAT .... if the Tech using it knows how !!!!! and the rear should be 18-19 psi ( with a car tire ) for best performance ...... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Trust me on this .... the Formosa's can be at 14 psi and you won't feel what you are feeling if everything else is in correct alignment...... The ROLO system is GREAT .... if the Tech using it knows how !!!!! and the rear should be 18-19 psi ( with a car tire ) for best performance ...... Mike
    If I were to run my RT with 14 in the front and 18-19 in the rear it would handle like a Mack Truck. Turning, for me, becomes very difficult at that low psi and I can always tell when my tires are low because the handling becomes so poor. At 19-20 on the front and 28 in the rear my Spyders handle like a dream.

TrikerBiker, we will be at Spyder Fever in Council Bluffs, IA on August 18-19. Come on down and we will check it out for you.
    Last edited by SpyderAnn01; 08-14-2017 at 12:05 AM.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Jaybros and Threewheels, Thanks for your response,suggestions. I have frt tire pressure at 21 psi,rear at 23 psi. New Fermoza's on front, Kumo on rear. Dealer said they reset steering angle with Budds to "o". Said the angle was way off when they checked it. Also said toe was way off but didnt tell me which way or how they reset it. Yes they use the rolo system.........My buddy has same year and almost same mileage and same tires etc. and had his done there and said he has no problems. Im going to try driving his and see how it compares to mine before I call dealer. Maybe i drove it so wrong for so long it just feels different? It did chew the front tires bad on the originals but thought was just the tires from all the posts.............................
    who did the alignment?
    2015 rts-white pearl- mods- '16 F3 fat 6 chrome wheels,
    and some little stuff. setback utopia backrest, baja ron
    sway bar, oem adj. air deflectors, marlin gps compass,
    lamonster fbb foot pegs[modified brackets], lamonts
    vibration damper, rock guard, and side case stiffener kit,
    . brp comfort seat. , fomozas and
    altimax, magic mirror mts, and wide mirrors.
    [joyce & irvin toms]

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    If I were to run my RT with 14 in the front and 18-19 in the rear it would handle like a Mack Truck. Turning, for me, becomes very difficult at that low psi and I can always tell when my tires are low because the handling becomes so poor. At 19-20 on the front and 28 in the rear my Spyders handle like a dream.

TrikerBiker, we will be at Spyder Fever in Council Bluffs, IA on August 18-19. Come on down and we will check it out for you.
    you run 28 in a car tire? i just put an altimax on, and if my new wheels get here the fomozas will be on for the weekend. i put 22 in the rear. was planning on 20 for the fronts.run 22
    in the kendas.
    [joyce & irvin toms]

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I run 29 on my rear tire. Close to where SpyderAnn runs hers and 19 on the fronts Bike handles like a Cadillac ..Smooth

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    I run 29 on my rear tire. Close to where SpyderAnn runs hers and 19 on the fronts Bike handles like a Cadillac ..Smooth
    what brand of rear tire are you running? i guess whatever works for each individual
    is the right one. 99% of the time we are 2 up and would be around 380#. right now i
    have 22 in the rear . i want the passenger to be as comfy as possible. dont think
    we have bottomed more than twice and i run the air at the bottom of the gauge.
    it does lean a lot more in the curves two up,but after ann and joe lined it it does track better on those country roads, which we like to run. englehart in madison did my friends rt and he
    is happy with their work. he runs 26 in the rear of his altimax.
    [joyce & irvin toms]

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by irvin48 View Post
    what brand of rear tire are you running? i guess whatever works for each individual
    is the right one. 99% of the time we are 2 up and would be around 380#. right now i
    have 22 in the rear . i want the passenger to be as comfy as possible. dont think
    we have bottomed more than twice and i run the air at the bottom of the gauge.
    it does lean a lot more in the curves two up,but after ann and joe lined it it does track better on those country roads, which we like to run. englehart in madison did my friends rt and he
    is happy with their work. he runs 26 in the rear of his altimax.
    I am running the Kuhmo Esta All season tire for the rear. I use Baja Rons shocks adjusters that help. I have never bottomed out when riding two up. Are you sure everything is good on your Spyder? Shock/air bag/compressor?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I run 20psi. in the front and 30psi. in my rear Altimax. I don't like the way it handles with any less.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Doesn't address your issue, but I think rears are supposed to be at 28# +/-
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Default TIRES AND PSI !!!

Ann, there are lots of opinions here about tire pressures ..... there is the group that bases what THEY think, on " HOW IT FEELS " and then there is Me and Peter Aawen who base what we KNOW on " SCIENCE ".. as a side note I don't up my tire PSI's when I'm running the " Twistie's ", I keep them pretty low front and rear on Car tires ...... I 'm sure " Machinegunner " ( a poster above) will attest to the fact that I'm far from being a " slouch " in the " Twistie's ".... So lower tire pressures = slower performance is a Myth ...... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 08-14-2017 at 02:09 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Mike, you are correct. I would never criticize you for how you drive. And anyone else who ever rode with you would say the same. Patti doesn't seem to have any trouble keeping up with you. That girl can sure ride!!!!!

Spyder Garage

Default POST COMMENTS

Quote Originally Posted by Machinegunner View Post
    Mike, you are correct. I would never criticize you for how you drive. And anyone else who ever rode with you would say the same. Patti doesn't seem to have any trouble keeping up with you. That girl can sure ride!!!!!
    , Thank you ..... ..and I didn't see any " criticism " in your post ...... ..I have my reasons for what tires I recommend ( and they aren't financial ) ..... Annnnnnnd that GIRL can absolutely DRIVE Her " F-3 ".... next time I'll take my " RT " out of " ECO " mode ........Mike

Spyder Garage

Hello members, I just had new tires, belt adjustment, laser alignment, tri-axis handlebars done on my 2015 RTS right before I left for Sturgis. I put on 2300 miles and can't say I'm impressed with the handling of the trike now. It seems to go down the road straight on a flat road but takes a lot more "muscle" to operate, more push pull to keep it going straight on the roads with any crowns and a lot more turning effort in twisties. Raising the handlebars up as high as they would go helped some by giving me more whole arm leverage. Some background, I put 8500 miles on before anything was done to bike and my arms never got tired, including a 1500 mile trip on the circle tour of Lake Superior. Could it be the toe,out of spec? It is almost like it only wants to go in a straight line and anything else takes more constant steering effort. When dealer did alignment they said steering angle was set way off and alignment was way off. New front tires appear to look ok at this point? Any thoughts? safe riding!
    Maybe your set up was just fine to begin with, but your dealer wanted to try to justify the cost of an alignment job. They're out there!!
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Ann, there are lots of opinions here about tire pressures ..... there is the group that bases what THEY think, on " HOW IT FEELS " and then there is Me and Peter Aawen who base what we KNOW on " SCIENCE ".. as a side note I don't up my tire PSI's when I'm running the " Twistie's ", I keep them pretty low front and rear on Car tires ...... I 'm sure " Machinegunner " ( a poster above) will attest to the fact that I'm far from being a " slouch " in the " Twistie's ".... So lower tire pressures = slower performance is a Myth ...... Mike
    Ill say it again, my Spyder is like a Mack Truck with low tire pressure. I don't need Fobo's to tell me my pressure is low, I just need to ride a short distance and I can tell. I spend way too much time in the saddle and I want to be riding the sports car version not the semi truck.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default TIRE PSI ETC.

Ill say it again, my Spyder is like a Mack Truck with low tire pressure. I don't need Fobo's to tell me my pressure is low, I just need to ride a short distance and I can tell. I spend way too much time in the saddle and I want to be riding the sports car version not the semi truck.
    My tires are 15psi front ( Altimax ) and 18 psi rear ( Hydro-edge ) and my Spyder handles like a Formula 1 car - Not a Mack truck ....unless My speed is below 2 mph ...... Maybe my power steering is the souped up version...mine and Peter A's ....... Mike

Spyder Garage

SpyderAnn01, thanks for the invite but after the last two trips I'll be home bound catching up for awhile.
    Irvin48, I had Engelhart align and do the work. I've had faith in their work from previous encounters and I'm sure they will stand behind their work when I call them. As I said in my original post my buddy is happy as punch with his and he had his done at Englehart as well. I'm going to try and ride his bike this week if I can squeeze it in just to make sure it isnt just me. I'm also going to play with tire pressure a bit as well.
    Thanks everyone for your remarks. safe riding!

Spyder Garage

For what it's worth, I'll toss in another vote for 22 psi in the fronts, and 28 rear. Seems to work best for me, but....that's just me and how I ride. How boring would it be if we all did everything the same way? LOL....

Engelhart can be hit or miss, but I do think they try to treat Spyder owners a bit better. We bought our first Spyder from them and got what I thought was a good deal. When I shopped for our current one.....well....not so much of a good deal, so we went elsewhere. I also had a bad vibration after an alignment, and they worked with tire/wheel balance to straighten it out for us, even though we didn't purchase from them.
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

SpyderAnn01, thanks for the invite but after the last two trips I'll be home bound catching up for awhile.
    Irvin48, I had Engelhart align and do the work. I've had faith in their work from previous encounters and I'm sure they will stand behind their work when I call them. As I said in my original post my buddy is happy as punch with his and he had his done at Englehart as well. I'm going to try and ride his bike this week if I can squeeze it in just to make sure it isnt just me. I'm also going to play with tire pressure a bit as well.
    I like your thinking.
    I'm an engineer, and we can all calculate and postulate, but it's all a lot of chin wagging until the rubber meets the road. In your case literally.
    Please remember to post your results so we all know how you made out.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post
    I like your thinking.
    I'm an engineer, and we can all calculate and postulate, but it's all a lot of chin wagging until the rubber meets the road. In your case literally.
    Please remember to post your results so we all know how you made out.
    I'm not sure if I've ever heard the phrase chin wagging; but, that is excellent, in so many cases.

Spyder Garage

if it doesnt rain we will be at johnson creek sat. you can take mine out if you want.
    its been "joeandannatized" and rechecked last week when mt rear tire was put on.
    [joyce & irvin toms]