Spyder Garage

Default Oil Leak After Service

Last Wednesday I took my bike in for its 9300 mile service. I parked it the garage and didn’t check anything. Friday I decided to take a look to see if there was any oil leak and noticed several oil drops on garage floor (not happy at all). On Saturday I went for a short ride and Saturday night noticed less oil drops. Today I noticed even less oil drops. So I am guessing the oil change was not a clean job. I didn’t have this issue when they changed the oil at 3000 miles. I change my oil on my Honda Goldwing and I never ever have any oil drops. What do you think?

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default DRIPS

It was probably some oil caught in the Pan ...... But you can use a mirror to see if the drips are right on the plugs , if so they are probably loose or new washers are needed .....jmho ....Mike

Spyder Garage

Default Here's the thing....

Not always the some tech doing the job. I like to remove the pans and clean off the engine after an oil change but you can do it with removing them. Also depends on a hot oil change or cold. I do my own work but worked in many shops so always goid to check your drain plugs especially if you see drops of oil. Those crush washers can be reused but I would never...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

If drips are on the left side some oil may have sloshed into a frame member and wasn't well wiped out by a less than attentive tech. That could be the amount of the drips is decreasing.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

The spots are within 2 feet radius.

Spyder Garage

I have heard that sometimes all of the panels are not removed because in the shop they can do it without stripping it down completely. The issue they run into is that if a little oil is dribbled down onto the inside of the body, it will drip out over the course of several days.

Just sayin'............
    Three in the garage, and I think I can fit at least one more in.....and then we will have to build another garage.
    The roads in NY are so bad that I am glad we bought a Ryker Rally

Just sayin'............

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by otter28169 View Post
    I have heard that sometimes all of the panels are not removed because in the shop they can do it without stripping it down completely. The issue they run into is that if a little oil is dribbled down onto the inside of the body, it will drip out over the course of several days.

Just sayin'............
    I think you are correct. it could be laziness or do it faster. I just checked and there is no new oil drop. I didn't have this problem when they changed the oil the first time.