Thread: Custom Seats

Spyder Garage

Default Custom Seats

Are the custom seats available for the RT Limited that much more comfortable than stock? Also when you go to the different seat manufacture websites it looks quite confusing. Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.
    Thank you
    Last edited by Kipawa; 08-13-2017 at 03:21 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Kipawa View Post
    Are the custom seats available for the RT spiders that much more comfortable than stock. Also when you get to the manufacture websites it looks quite complicated. Any suggestions would be appreciated
    Seats are a subjective item. One person's like is another's hate. I have to agree that OEM seats are mush, torture machines. Of five 's owned, I have replaced all five seats within a thousand miles.

I have used Corbin seats twice. They are hard to some and "supportive" to others. I did like the gas door functions on both. Over 55,000 Corbin seat miles.

The last three have the BRP comfort seats. The most recent (2014) is more comfortable than the 2009 or 2011 versions. I can ride all day on the Comfort seat.

Others will tell of their experiences with other brands. Cost, figure on $600 (BRP Comfort) to $1,500- or higher--depends on the "extras" you have thrown in.

Attending a event where there are a lot of "s is a good place to "test sit" various seats. Otherwise, you could make a $1,000 mistake.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Definitely try to get to a Spyder event so you can see what's available to you. For me the Corbin and Ultimate seats make me slide forward and that wasn't comfortable. I have a BRP Comfort Seat on my RT and I like it a lot. It is a bit firmer than the stock seat and it gives the rider about 2" more space. I would love to get a Russell Day Long seat at some point in time though.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Custom Seats

Hi Dave here,
    I have been building custom motorcycle seats for over 40 years
    give me a call I'll see if I can help you out even if you don't buy one from
    me I can help you with yours. I need to know what it is about your seat that you don't like
    call me anytime 8 AM to 8 PM Pacific time at 209-887-3283

oo

Are the custom seats available for the RT Limited that much more comfortable than stock? Also when you go to the different seat manufacture websites it looks quite confusing. Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.
    Thank you
    Last edited by Motorcycledave; 08-13-2017 at 05:19 PM.

Spyder Garage

There's some good information above, Kipawa. But even trying out the seats at a show for fit doesn't tell you if they'll be comfortable after an hour. ( unless they let you put them on your Spyder and take them out for a looong ride in the US). I have tried all the seats on all the different bikes I have had, and learnt about 10 years ago that the only solution for me is a custom seat from Russell Day Long. They are expensive, but you get what you pay for. They are tailored to your body shape and preferred seating position, and they guarantee them to be all day comfortable and will reshape them if they don't work at the first attempt.

Please don't get me wrong. There are many happy riders out there on stock Comfort seats, Motorcycle Dave's modified seats, Corbin, Mustangs (the only brand that has come close to comfortable for me), Ultimate etc, and you have a big enough market in the US that you can buy and sell fairly easily if the seat isn't comfortable for you, but if you want to guarantee, up front, that you get a seat that works for you (I got so sick of buying and selling, buying and selling), something like Russell is the way to go.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    I would love to get a Russell Day Long seat at some point in time though.
    I've had good luck with them in the past.......and plan to again.

My problem isn't with comfort necessarily but with heat buildup, and not from the engine.

Russell now has a couple of different "cloth" materials available for the top that I hope will help in the Florida heat.
    And the contrasting colors should look sharp too.

Spyder Garage

Default Custom seats

I also used to buy a seat, sell a seat but last 3-4 bikes went straight to a Russell Day Long, can't beat them. YOMV of course.
    Baja Ron sway bar, Spyder Dock, Highway Brackets,Trident pegs, Spyder Decals, Signal Mirror led strips, Utopia backrest, 5 pc. Hopnel liner set, cargo nets side/rear doors. Mesh bag front trunk, foam grips, spare trunk key, passenger armrests/storage pouch's, ram mounts/GPS, Drink holder,Phone, Passenger clamp-on drink holder, rear trunk tap light, custom plate frame, spyder fastener bolts, adjustable lower mirror wind deflectors, F4 Customs windshield -wide,tall,clear,vent,Chrome Spyder grill.

Spyder Garage

I'm headed to Russell on Wed. to get my 6th Day Long seat built. This one is on a wing but the last one was a Spyder. The seat and the hand brake were the best farkles I did. I've tried all kinds of seats over many years and IMHO if you only want to spend your money once, go with Russell.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    I've had good luck with them in the past.......and plan to again.

My problem isn't with comfort necessarily but with heat buildup, and not from the engine.

Russell now has a couple of different "cloth" materials available for the top that I hope will help in the Florida heat.
    And the contrasting colors should look sharp too.
    If you are talking about the Sunbrella material, Easy Rider, I've got that on mine, in black, and it worked a treat in the last hot Aussie summer.
    Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

For me the BRP comfort seat on my RT is not comfy to me. Getting a Russell Day Ling seat first of October. Hopefully it will fit me better.

Spyder Garage

Your *ss is the best judge and only a long test ride will tell. My Comfort Seat has been very comfortable thus far, (28K+ miles). If my *ss ever rebels I will go with a RDL.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    If you are talking about the Sunbrella material,
    They have two options in top cover material now; don't remember what they are .....but will try to remember your recommendation when the time comes. Thanks.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have an extra seat left over from the '11 that I had......and hope to sent it to Russell instead of the stock one off the '17.
    They look pretty much the same but I can't be sure without taking the original off and trying to mount the old one.

Anybody know if the seat mounts are the same (or compatible) from the older models to the new ones ??

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My winter farkle is going to be redoing my seat. Dunno who/how but its my winter project.

Spyder Garage

Default Russell day long custom seats

Thank you
    Hello, as others have mentioned, just go to RDL. I spent money on having seat redone, air hawks, beads and sheepskin. Sheepskin was the best of inadequate choices. Drove to RDL and has seat done and was only going to do drivers part. But thought the wife needed upgrading. She decided the old seat was better. Back to RDL and now wife is happy. This is a custom seat and they will make you happy. Best if you can ride in, but they have steps you follow with pictures if you can't ride in. Everyone's seatuation is different.
    Pete

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have used Ultra fabric on motorcycle seats for many years and it works just fine.
    not hot to sit on or cold in the cold.

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    If you are talking about the Sunbrella material, Easy Rider, I've got that on mine, in black, and it worked a treat in the last hot Aussie summer.
    Pete

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    I have an extra seat left over from the '11 that I had......and hope to sent it to Russell instead of the stock one off the '17.
    They look pretty much the same but I can't be sure without taking the original off and trying to mount the old one.

Anybody know if the seat mounts are the same (or compatible) from the older models to the new ones ??
    They are the same 2010 to 2017 RT.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PW2013STL View Post
    They are the same 2010 to 2017 RT.
    Thank you. That makes me feel better.