Spyder Garage

Default Need help, info about military dog tags.

Im trying to find out what was on my dads WWII dog tags and which one of 4 types he was issued. I'm not sure what format he would have had, type 2 or 3....as his induction into the army was March 2 1943.
    type 2 dog tag was issued from 11-1941 to 7-1943, so I'm assuming this would be the type he was issued. Were dog tags issued during training/boot camp? If not it could possibly have been type 3.

Spyder Garage

Mine were issued in boot camp. I was in the Navy, long after WWII; boot camp Great Lakes, Ill. I'm not familiar with what you are calling types.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    Mine were issued in boot camp. I was in the Navy, long after WWII; boot camp Great Lakes, Ill. I'm not familiar with what you are calling types.
    In WWII there were 4 different types. Each type had different info, and or in a different order.

https://www.wwiidogtags.com/brief-do...og-tag-format/

I want to have a large stainless steel replica of his made to mount on my mobile bbq smoker to go along with the sign I had made to honor my mom.
    Last edited by mowin; 08-13-2017 at 03:48 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Type 2:

Type 2.jpg

Type 3:

Type 3.jpg

What branch of the Service was he in? That will affect how the information is displayed on the "Identification Tags".
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 08-13-2017 at 05:37 PM.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

My dog tags were Type 2 and issued in boot camp in 1962. I do not recall seeing any other type while I was active although somewhere between '62 and '66 guys who had their tags reissued no longer had a religion stamped on them or instead of "Episcopal" (for example) simply specified "Protestant". That was also true if you were Jewish and stationed somewhere like Rota, Spain which was a mandatory Catholic country.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Type 2:

Type 2.jpg

Type 3:

Type 3.jpg

What branch of the Service was he in? That will affect how the information is displayed on the "Identification Tags".
    Army. I figured it was type 2. I've got his discharge papers, but they don't list blood type. All of the other paperwork I have on him doesn't list it either. Would like this to be accurate, but I realize that much be difficult.

I guess seeing I'm only making one, I can pick what I want from the two tags.
    Last edited by mowin; 08-13-2017 at 07:18 PM.