Thread: Fuel Gauge

Spyder Garage

Default Fuel Gauge

Very new to Spyder's, less than a month, less than 300 miles it seems that tank goes from full to one-quarter very quickly so panic and get to a station and end up putting in barely two gallons. I stop when the pump clicks off to not overfill so once gauge gets to 1/4 how much fuel do really have? 2016 RTlimited.
    2016 RT Limited , Black

Very Active Member SteveLaoyster's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Possibly something wrong with the gauge or sensor. I can go just over 150 city miles before I get to 1/4 tank. Fill it up all the way & set your trip odometer. Fill it up after 120 miles or so. That should give you an idea of how far you can go on about 6 gallons of gas.

By the way, &
    AKA Jud Smales, Four Year Spyder Ryder!
    "Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati"

The Critter 2016 RT-S
    Cat Bypass from Lamonster
    BajaRon Sway Bar
    Hella dual horns with relay
    BRP Hitch with trailer module
    Foam Grips
    Adjustable Air Deflectors
    Driver & Passenger Gel Pads in Seat
    Shorty antenna
    Ultraguard half cover
    Gremlin bell from my son
    Break Stripe Kit from Wrap My Spyder
    2016 RT-S , stock not yet Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Don't insert the nozzle all the way or you won't get it full.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

You should be getting about 190 - 200 miles on the tank before the fuel light goes on. We are talking 41 mpg average. WARNING, WARNING, WARNING--YOUR MILEAGE MAY VARY.

Get into the habit of refueling the same way each time. I usually reset the trip meter to zero at fill up. When you get to about 180 its about time to refuel--unless you like driving on empty.

When refueling, I try to keep the nozzle OUT of the opening (as in filling from 1/4 inch above). Be careful to NOT spill fuel. I fill until I see the bubbles coming up over the inside ring. I stop, give it a chance to settle and go one more time till the bubbles overfill the ring. Done. This is not perfect, but it is close. You should be good for the next 200 miles or so. Note: it also takes about 5,000 miles before you start to see the 40's consistently.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I agree with the above post but I don't have the gas nozzle above the opening. Medicine I take makes my hands shaky, so I just barely have the nozzle inside the tank opening. I can usually get the gas right to the top.

SpyderLovers Sponsor scooterexpress's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tyris View Post
    Very new to Spyder's, less than a month, less than 300 miles it seems that tank goes from full to one-quarter very quickly so panic and get to a station and end up putting in barely two gallons. I stop when the pump clicks off to not overfill so once gauge gets to 1/4 how much fuel do really have? 2016 RTlimited.
    just do yourself a favor disconnect both the fuel and temp gage they will both come up on the cluster which is 100% correct.just leave the gauges there until you decide what you want to change them out to.

Tall flag mount, spyderpops skid plate & stainless steel screen mesh, airhawk adjustable cushion, raised white lettered tires.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by scooterexpress View Post
    just do yourself a favor disconnect both the fuel and temp gage they will both come up on the cluster which is 100% correct.just leave the gauges there until you decide what you want to change them out to.

I cannot agree with this more, oh I just did twice. Disconnect the analog gauges, the digital will come on and you Spyder will feel all better.

Joe

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I respectfully disagree...
    The new fuel gauges are pretty darn accurate...
    This is more a case of needing to work on the "Fuel Station Tap-Dance" that is being done...
    Pack it full of fuel, and THEN see how far you can ride!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    Don't insert the nozzle all the way or you won't get it full.
    I'm finding that is a BIG problem......since it seems that a LOT of the nozzles "stick" and then go from off to wide open with nothing in between.
    Of course that creates quite a mess when you get anywhere neat to full as fuel "blows back" out the vents.
    So I will be trying to do my fillups at a newer station where you can "finesse" the nozzle a bit easier.

With mine, it appears that I still have at least a gallon to 1 1/2 when the needle hits E.

You need to do some more testing to be sure how yours works.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by scooterexpress View Post
    This might not be a good solution for everybody.
    Like me who needs reading glasses to be able to SEE what is in the display screen.

And once you get the fuel gauge "calibrated" in your head, it will be 100% correct too.

There is room for everybody to do it however they prefer.
    And those who don't agree with your assessment are not necessarily "wrong".
    Last edited by Easy Rider; 06-02-2017 at 10:06 AM.

Spyder Garage

Default fuel filler

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    You should be getting about 190 - 200 miles on the tank before the fuel light goes on. We are talking 41 mpg average. WARNING, WARNING, WARNING--YOUR MILEAGE MAY VARY.

Get into the habit of refueling the same way each time. I usually reset the trip meter to zero at fill up. When you get to about 180 its about time to refuel--unless you like driving on empty.

When refueling, I try to keep the nozzle OUT of the opening (as in filling from 1/4 inch above). Be careful to NOT spill fuel. I fill until I see the bubbles coming up over the inside ring. I stop, give it a chance to settle and go one more time till the bubbles overfill the ring. Done. This is not perfect, but it is close. You should be good for the next 200 miles or so. Note: it also takes about 5,000 miles before you start to see the 40's consistently.
    The fuel filler is my only major complaint about my F3. I always wind up spilling some gas while holding the nozzle above the filler ring. Most gas pumps in California have vapor recovery systems and the controls start at on or off, then increase flow.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I respectfully disagree...
    The new fuel gauges are pretty darn accurate...
    This is more a case of needing to work on the "Fuel Station Tap-Dance" that is being done...
    Pack it full of fuel, and THEN see how far you can ride!
    x 2. The pre-2014 gas gauges were all over the place. I disconnected both the 2010 and 2011 and let the digital take over. My 2014 is rock solid. I note you have a 2016 so you should be good. Guessing its more of a "fill" situation for you.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default ??????????????????

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post

WHO GETS 41MPG ON THEIR SPYDER?????????????????

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by timeless View Post

I get 39 to 40 consistently on my 14 (1330). Only 31 on the 11 (998).

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Most I've seen to date is 33mpg - guess I'll either get Deb to take a cab or loosen the right wrist

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My best ever tankful was a touch over 43 mpg... I usually average right around 39 mpg.

Spyder Garage

Default Crap fuel mileage

The more miles I put on mine is seems like the mileage gets worse 25 to 28 mpg is all I'm getting! Bike has 4500 miles on it.
    Is there anything that can be done to get better mileage out of a 2012 rt

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by timeless View Post

A 39.3 mpg average.
    With a best tankful of 43.4 mpg!
    It CAN be done!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sjanway View Post
    Is there anything that can be done to get better mileage out of a 2012 rt
    Slow down.
    But that's not what you bought it for.
    Next would be save your pennies and get a newer one with the 1330 engine.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

But you can also:
    Pump up your tires to the high end of the allowable range...
    Reduce your aerodynamic signature... run with the windshield at it's lowest position, and get the adjustable lower air deflectors. Then: set them in the center position.
    Unload all of the unnecessary stuff that gets collected in the storage compartments. Less weight equals free horsepower (and better fuel economy!)

I averaged 33.5 mpg with my 2010 RT...
    But 39.3 mpg with my 2014!
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 08-14-2017 at 08:03 AM.