Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    So Joe .... what tire pressures are you using .................. Please tell me they are about 14-15 psi ....( on the front ) Mike
    What is the handling difference from 165/55/15 and 175/55/15..
    which is the equivalent to oem

Spyder Garage

Default psi

I just couldn't do it! I tried the Evo's at 15psi. I didn't notice a big difference & had to raise it to 18psi. Something in my head just wouldn't let me be satisfied with tire pressure that low. My wife rode it today for 235 miles & could tell a lot of difference compared to the Kenda's. Had the rear Kumho at 20psi.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default SOMETIMES

Quote Originally Posted by Markg View Post
    I just couldn't do it! I tried the Evo's at 15psi. I didn't notice a big difference & had to raise it to 18psi. Something in my head just wouldn't let me be satisfied with tire pressure that low. My wife rode it today for 235 miles & could tell a lot of difference compared to the Kenda's. Had the rear Kumho at 20psi.
    Mark, think about this Fact .... your FRONT tires NOW have a higher pressure than what BRP / Kenda recommend for their CRAP tires .... I don't recommend ( and neither does Peter ) on what someone's Butt feels like ....it's all about the Science.... There won't be a BIG difference ( by what it FEELS like ) .... but if it rains your tires will feel it a lot ..... There aren't any tires made ( not even F-1 RAIN tires ) that won't Hydro-plane ..... just some that will do it SOONER .... This is Science not my BUTT talking .. .. Question : Since the Air Pressure debate is an on-going Topic, have you ever heard anyone on this forum say any Spyder that has car tires , should keep them at a high pressure ( similar to an auto ) because in their opinion Science proves this to be True ...... I haven't ...if you have please let me know ..... PS on the rear you are so close ... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 08-25-2017 at 07:48 AM.

Spyder Garage

Default It's tough!

It's just a brain thing.....and mine isn't very big. Maybe I'll try again tomorrow. If it is all about the rain....maybe I will take that day off from riding!

Spyder Garage

Default Tire psi etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Markg View Post
    It's just a brain thing.....and mine isn't very big. Maybe I'll try again tomorrow. If it is all about the rain....maybe I will take that day off from riding!
    I ABSOLUTELY agree it is a Brain thing not a Butt thing so here's another way of looking at this issue .... FACT: the harder the tire the rougher the ride ......... a softer tire is more compliant and gives a less jarring ride. ..... But will a 3lb difference actually KILL you, I'd be lying if I said yes, or even maybe, the odds are that it won't.... But I know what the science says it should be, so why would I try to prove science wrong. If science says when you exit an airplane at 10,000 ft. without a parachute you will very likely die...... are you willing to try and prove science wrong ..... Stay safe .... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-14-2023 at 03:47 PM. Reason: Removed extraneous [ cmd ] delimiters... ;-)

Very Active Member Buckeye Bleau's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    So Joe .... what tire pressures are you using .................. Please tell me they are about 14-15 psi ....( on the front ) Mike
    I started at 18, then I. Saw your post, and lowered it to 16 and could feel no appreciable change. So this week I will take them down to 14-15 because in a few weeks I am going to have to spend a lot of time wth you, and God only knows what rathe I will suffer if not in compliance by then. It is just a joke Mike, you know how much I value your experience!

Joe
    U.S. Army Viet Nam Era Vet
    2013 Spyder RT-L, Black Currant
    Trunk mount dual SS flag holder
    TricLed foam hand grips (awesome)
    Chromed Soaring Eagle License Holder
    Utopia Deluxe driver backrest
    LED fender lighting
    Fast Flash LED brake light
    Spyder Pops LED/skid plate

Spyder Garage

Default PSI = HAPPINESS

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye Bleau View Post
    I started at 18, then I. Saw your post, and lowered it to 16 and could feel no appreciable change. So this week I will take them down to 14-15 because in a few weeks I am going to have to spend a lot of time wth you, and God only knows what rathe I will suffer if not in compliance by then. It is just a joke Mike, you know how much I value your experience!

Joe
    There was a popular song, " Feelings ", but it doesn't apply to tire psi ....... Members here have said they can tell if their tires are 1/2 lb.off ...well if those people were challenged to guess which of their front tires had 14 or 15 psi in them ( after taking a drive ) and asked to put a $1000.00 on their guess - you would have ZERO takers. It's not about the Feel ( unless you have a FLAT ), it's about the Science. And I get the joke , but remember I am doing the COOKING ......................Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    The Federal, despite having the same number on its side, is far from the same size as the OEM kenda. The Kenda tires are not true to size. Actually a good bit undersized. You have to compare actual sizes if you want to maintain size. Many use the Federal tires just fine but they are not the same size as you indicate. Still do not understand the infatuation with cheap tires.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunner3773 View Post
    What size most closely matches the size of the OEM Kenda?

Gunner

??????
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    Yokohama has a great tire for the front of your Spyder. Use a top tier tire instead of looking for the cheapest rubber available from third world countries.

While I completely agree with your point, I don't see a Yokohama tire in a size that seems appropriate. While the Federals, which I admit are not a first rate company, do make tires that are proven to fit and work well. So it seems to me "the proofs in the puddling".
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Charlotte17078 View Post
    We just put Continental Conti Pro Contact tires on the front and have a General Altimax on the back.
    My hubs thinks "out of the box" with tires, etc. With the new tires and a lazer alignment, it is like riding on a cloud!!!
    I am also running the Continental Contiprocontact tires on the front and also running the General Altimax RT43 on the rear.

No problems with either brand of tires. I have a 2014 RTS-SE6 and I have 15,000 miles on the General Altimax RT43, and at least 4,000 miles on Continental Contiprocontact that are on the front. (The front tires were changed last year).

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye Bleau View Post
    I just installed the Federals size 175 55r 15 on my 2013 RT. Wow, what a tremendous handling difference from the originals. Perhaps it is the wider tire, perhaps the contruction or the polymer. Who cares it is a huge improvement.

One additional footnote, I took the wheels/tires off the Spyder, took it to the local tire shop, they move a lot of rubber, asked them to remove the old and mount and balance the new, they took care of it straight away. $12.50 for each mount and balance, $2.75 disposal fee for the old tires, plus tax, done and out the door in 30 minutes from the time I walked in.

Joe
    I'm curious about front tire sizing. Would running a 175/60 or a 175/55 be enough of a difference to cause any major problems with the nanny? The 175/60 is 5.07% larger circumference than the OEM 165/55s and the 175/55 is only 1.96% larger. There seems to be a better selection of tires in those sizes than in 165/55.
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)

Spyder Garage

Default The dreaded nanny

Quote Originally Posted by cruisinTX View Post
    I'm curious about front tire sizing. Would running a 175/60 or a 175/55 be enough of a difference to cause any major problems with the nanny? The 175/60 is 5.07% larger circumference than the OEM 165/55s and the 175/55 is only 1.96% larger. There seems to be a better selection of tires in those sizes than in 165/55.
    ZERO - nada - nothing ..... the "Nanny" reads the rear wheel/tire size, ........and the 175/55 will work with ANY fender type ..... I have an Altimax RT43 in 175/65 on my 2014 RT (with basic type fenders) I did tweek the front brackets a tad ..... I love this tire especially the wet traction it provides .... PS the rear is also an Altimax (215/60R15) and its traction rating is one of the highest available in the current tires available ...........PS car tires on Spyders will work at their optimum at 15psi front and 18psi rear ...... this is despite folks who claim otherwise, those folks have no education in tires and what they can & can't do ... They are from the "well I think it feels OK crowd" ....Science plays NO role in their opinions ......... jmho ...... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-14-2023 at 03:44 PM. Reason: Colour, Caps, & ' 's ;-)