Spyder Garage

Default WEIRD BRAKE NOISE

i am getting a strange "groaning" sound from the rear brake, but ONLY when coming to a stop in reverse. Does not make the noise when coming to a stop when moving forward. The brakes are working fine, great stopping power, and firm pedal. The parking brake works fine also. I have tried spraying the rear rotor & pads with a brake cleaning product, and the groaning goes away for a short time, but always returns. The rear pads are new, roughly 1,500 miles on them. Anyone out there have any ideas?
    Last edited by oldguyinTX; 08-12-2017 at 10:59 PM.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

How bad is the groan? You know where it's coming from on new pads. While it's work to remove the caliper and pads you might consider a slight bevel of the trailing edges of the pads. In reverse they become the leading edge of the pads and the bevel might quiet the groan. Just a guess. OTOH, you might consider finding a big empty parking lot where you can drive the Spyder in reverse a bit faster than you might otherwise do it and slam on the brakes several times and see if that helps kill the groan. Be careful.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Angry BRAKE NOISE 2017 CAN-AM SPYDER RT LIMITED

Mountain Motorsport @ Mall of Georgia told me that the noise I’m hearing is normal. I beg to differ. My right wheel is making a skipping sound where the metal is brushing against the calipers or something and the sound increases in speed the faster I ride. I am unable to attach the video of the noise. 2017 CAN-AM SPYDER RT LIMITED 5000 miles.
    Xzawlted
    2017 CAN-AM SPYDER RT LIMITED (New Owner)
    Champagne
    Freedom Trailer
    USMC RETIRED

Spyder Garage

I am going to jump on and throw a card into the "normal" pile.

When we bring out Linda's 2011--which usually sits a week between rides--the backing up produces a "groaning" sound. Does not happen with forward motion, and goes away after the machine gets warmed up a bit.

The 2014 which gets used much more--has no such sound when starting and backing--other than the "usual" clunk when shifting into reverse for the first time of the day.

No extra charge for my .02.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Xzawlted View Post
    Mountain Motorsport @ Mall of Georgia told me that the noise I’m hearing is normal. I beg to differ. My right wheel is making a skipping sound where the metal is brushing against the calipers or something and the sound increases in speed the faster I ride. I am unable to attach the video of the noise. 2017 CAN-AM SPYDER RT LIMITED 5000 miles.
    I had this same sounding issue, turned out I had warped my rear brake rotor, after having a dealer "align" the rear tire. It took Factory Tech Reps to figure that out at Spyderfest 2017. Wasn't cheap, but it's right now.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020