Spyder Garage

Default Procedure to set Radio Presets!!

I have finally figured out how to set the presets for the radio on “The Pearl”. There was a key piece of information that seems to be missing in the 2011 Roadster RT Operators Guide. I first spotted the key piece of information in the Quick Reference Booklet for the Roadster Electronic Command Center (RECC) and the Infotainment Center. To set a preset, a person must be in the “Tune Screen” of the audio mode. See the yellow highlight in the first attachment. Once I found this, I went to the 2010 Spyder RT Shop Manual. (side note: I purchased this manual from my dealer for $185. The service manager stated there wouldn’t be a 2011 version as there wasn’t enough significant changes between model years to warrant a new printing. Please note I am very anal when it comes to shop manuals. I want to have a hard copy to read, not a pdf! Price wasn’t one of my considerations for this manual especially after what I paid for the total package, Limited, trailer, helmets, communications etc.) On page 420 of the shop manual, see second attachment, it states Press the Set button and hold for more than one second to enter the “Setup Screen”. It appears that “Tune Screen” and “Setup Screen” are one and the same. Therefore, here are the steps to set a preset.

1 Press the Mode button until the Audio icon appears.
    2 Use the right or left command buttons to find the radio station you want. A long press will do a seek to the next available station. Continue doing a seek until the station you want appears.
    3 Here is the missing step. Press the Set button longer than one second to enter the Tune or Setup screen. The word Record should appear under the numbers of the current radio station. The shop manual states that you can tune the station in increments of .2 by short pressing the left or right command buttons now.
    4 Short press the Up button until the Preset number you want appears in the box to the left side of the screen. I noticed that this step can be touchy at times trying to get the number to stay in the box!
    5 Immediately press and hold the down button. Once the preset takes, the screen will exit the Tune or Setup screen and returns to the initial Audio screen.
    6 Repeat steps 2 through 5 for the next preset. Note that doing a short press of the left or right command buttons will cycle through the already set presets. A long press will start the seek.

I have not tried to set a preset while actually riding. The Operators Guide states on page 35 to Press the Down button to record the actual frequency to the preset number displayed. The note states that while riding, the radio station will be automatically recorded to the next available preset number. If all preset numbers are used, the preset number 15 will be overwritten. When I do a short press of the Down command button, the volume decreases. If I do a long press of the Down command button, the volume is muted. I don’t understand what we are supposed to do.

I hope this helps all of you trying to get you favorite radio stations set as presets.

Spyder Garage

I am not aware of any way to set the presets while riding...or do any other menu setup functions, either. This is a safety feature.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

sena works great.

Pete

Spyder Garage

Scotty

I agree that as a safety feature, you shouldn't mess with these settings while riding. I came up with this while sitting in the garage. I was just quoting the Operations guide that stated while driving, here is how to do the presets.

Spyder Garage

George

Have you tried this procedure on BR1?

Russ

Spyder Garage

Have you seen any information on setting the Preferances for the head set volume? There is nothing in the user's manual that I can find. Thanks for the other info and you have it just right. I to had a problem reasigning the used presets untill I finally figured it out. No help form the users manual. Bob

Spyder Garage

I haven't tried the headsets yet. I wanted to go with the BRP Hybrid helmet. My salesman said they run on the small size. He had me try a different helmet and we figured I would need and XXL. Unfortunately, that helmet only goes to XL. I tried my wife's XL and it was too tight for comfort. I had him order a Nolan for me and my wife will still have the Hybrid. Once we have the helmets, I will be trying all those options.

As a side note, my Limited was the first Spyder this dealership has ever installed the OEM comm package on. When the driver and passenger recepticles were put in, they didn't pay attention that the notch had to go in the correct direction to allow the ninety degree male connector to fit. That is going to be a bit of work to get at the connectors under the plastic again but that will be the dealers problem, not mine.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Badazzspydee View Post
    George

Have you tried this procedure on BR1?

Russ
    Russ, I just ran across your post on setting up radio stations. I have been having a problem doing it. I follow the directions and, as you state, pushing the down button just lowers the volume. Your post is a big help and I will try it soon. It appears the directions are wrong..no excuse for this...none!

My thanks to Badazzspydee for his great and helpful post.
    Last edited by Mr. White; 05-24-2011 at 08:49 AM.

I traded my 2014 RT for a 2017 Mr. White RT-S. I am George Lewis. I live two miles from Boerne, TX. I am 89, retired USAF and Sony Corp. I also have a GW MotorTrike. My email: scoot62@aol.com

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA
    If you have not been to Luckenbach, your journey is not complete.

Spyder Garage

your welcome George.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Thank You

Thank You- I have had my Spyder for 3 months and could never figure the pre set out. Your directions were perfect.

thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Badazzspydee View Post
    I have finally figured out how to set the presets for the radio on “The Pearl”. There was a key piece of information that seems to be missing in the 2011 Roadster RT Operators Guide. I first spotted the key piece of information in the Quick Reference Booklet for the Roadster Electronic Command Center (RECC) and the Infotainment Center. To set a preset, a person must be in the “Tune Screen” of the audio mode. See the yellow highlight in the first attachment. Once I found this, I went to the 2010 Spyder RT Shop Manual. (side note: I purchased this manual from my dealer for $185. The service manager stated there wouldn’t be a 2011 version as there wasn’t enough significant changes between model years to warrant a new printing. Please note I am very anal when it comes to shop manuals. I want to have a hard copy to read, not a pdf! Price wasn’t one of my considerations for this manual especially after what I paid for the total package, Limited, trailer, helmets, communications etc.) On page 420 of the shop manual, see second attachment, it states Press the Set button and hold for more than one second to enter the “Setup Screen”. It appears that “Tune Screen” and “Setup Screen” are one and the same. Therefore, here are the steps to set a preset.

1 Press the Mode button until the Audio icon appears.
    2 Use the right or left command buttons to find the radio station you want. A long press will do a seek to the next available station. Continue doing a seek until the station you want appears.
    3 Here is the missing step. Press the Set button longer than one second to enter the Tune or Setup screen. The word Record should appear under the numbers of the current radio station. The shop manual states that you can tune the station in increments of .2 by short pressing the left or right command buttons now.
    4 Short press the Up button until the Preset number you want appears in the box to the left side of the screen. I noticed that this step can be touchy at times trying to get the number to stay in the box!
    5 Immediately press and hold the down button. Once the preset takes, the screen will exit the Tune or Setup screen and returns to the initial Audio screen.
    6 Repeat steps 2 through 5 for the next preset. Note that doing a short press of the left or right command buttons will cycle through the already set presets. A long press will start the seek.

I have not tried to set a preset while actually riding. The Operators Guide states on page 35 to Press the Down button to record the actual frequency to the preset number displayed. The note states that while riding, the radio station will be automatically recorded to the next available preset number. If all preset numbers are used, the preset number 15 will be overwritten. When I do a short press of the Down command button, the volume decreases. If I do a long press of the Down command button, the volume is muted. I don’t understand what we are supposed to do.

I hope this helps all of you trying to get you favorite radio stations set as presets.

Spyder Garage

This topic should be made into a sticky

Memorial Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Presets

Now for the real tricky question. How do I undo any presets already set or change the number the station is set to?
    Jim Lemkow
    2012 RT Limited Brown with Tan Corbin Lamonster style seat,
    two Boys slip on pipes, fender lights, cup holder, seal floor boards, Elka Shocks

2013 STS - Elka Shocks, Two Bothers Exhaust..lots of lights

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

There definitely is a problem with the manual regarding this feature.

I am going to add this information to the Do's and Do Not's for Newbies. (With credit due... of course.)

Thanks!
    Last edited by Illinois Boy; 04-07-2013 at 08:51 PM.

SL #7026
    VBA #652
    HOG #3935417
    2011 Viper-Red Spyder RT SE5 & Trailer
    2017 HD Ultra Limited
    Former Rides: 2014 HD Ultra Limited; '04 Kawa Nomad; '09 HD Ultra-Classic; and many Hondas through the years.
    Spyder Newbies Do's & Do Not's: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-Spyder-owners

Spyder Garage

I've hated that the owner's manual had almost a page covering the radio operation and then pages and pages of how to set up a parking lot for driving practice.

Thanks for posting the enhanced instructions. Will have to play with it to figure out switching between AM & FM.

Memorial Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Already set presets

Now for the real tricky question. How do I undo any presets already set or change the number the station is set to?
    Jim Lemkow
    2012 RT Limited Brown with Tan Corbin Lamonster style seat,
    two Boys slip on pipes, fender lights, cup holder, seal floor boards, Elka Shocks

2013 STS - Elka Shocks, Two Bothers Exhaust..lots of lights

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jlemkow View Post
    Strangely, if you follow the manual very literally, you can overwrite the presets. I don't believe you can eliminate all selected information from any given preset, however.

Spyder Garage

Ive noticed on mine, since finally setting a couple of stations, now I can no longer do random searches for stations.... all I get are the preset stations
    1. it is what it is - 2014 Black RT-S - Baja Ron Anti-Sway bar, lots of LEDs, Spyderpops Skid Plate, Twisted Sister HID Driving Lights, Tricled 2nd, 3rd & 4th brake lights, F4 Customs vented windshield, Lamonster highway pegs, Ultimate Tall Boy seat, Utopia backrest

Spyder Garage

Default Presets not staying

I have tried and tried to redo the preset radio stations but once I get it set it will not stay set and goes back to whatever had been set before me. Any tricks to get them to change?
    2010 RT , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ssines View Post
    I have tried and tried to redo the preset radio stations but once I get it set it will not stay set and goes back to whatever had been set before me. Any tricks to get them to change?
    Google search is a bit more powerful than the forum search. I used this search term in google: radio presets site:spyderlovers.com. The following are some of the threads that popped up.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-radio-presets

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-AM-RT-S-Radio

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...tation-Presets

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...io-Preset-Help

Clifford Fargason
    2013 Spyder RTL
    2007 Royal Star Venture

Very Active Member Star Cruiser's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by lookerjdc View Post
    Ive noticed on mine, since finally setting a couple of stations, now I can no longer do random searches for stations.... all I get are the preset stations
    You can only hold the left/right button a little bit longer and "Seek" the next station. When you press quickly, like you said, the Preset activates.

Spyder Garage

Due to a bug in the radio to overwrite presets in the middle follow this.
    This is the ONLY way I found how to do it.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...l=1#post970656
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

My radio presets are all set the same
    OFF
    I like to ride without the radio
    Now 2014 RT Limited Cognac
    Was 2008 GS SM5

Don Garbarino

Cup Holder
    GPS locking holder
    Mud flap
    Modified KNOTT grill
    Phone holder and charger
    Trailer hitch
    Dual air horn
    Auxiliary fuse box with relays
    Heated clothing controller
    volt/oil pressure gauge
    Sequential signals in mirror
    Tri Axis Handle bars
    Baja Ron anti sway bar/heim links
    shorty antenna
    And many more

Spyder Garage

Default Radio Presets

My two cents.
    First thanks to Badazzspydee, it was his info that got me going.
    What I did was program ALL presets to a frequency that is not in use in my area.
    I could not get the presets I wanted to to take on any station that displays text (station, song title etc.)
    So I moved the plastic piece under the right passenger hand hold. Didn't fully remove the piece just the screws and then unseat from under the hand hold. Removed the two screws that hold the lock mechanism for the saddlebag. Fished around thru the holes for the latch and got the antenna wire, unplugged it so I had no radio reception, set all presets to one frequency that I knew was not used here. Then started at preset number 1 and tuned to my known favorite station that I wanted for number 1, then repeated till I had my stations set. I think the bug is the text and song title that comes up, changes the way the radio wants to set presets.
    If you want to get the antenna lead by what the service manual says you have a few piece to remove.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

This is easier than unplugging the radio antenna
    This is how I found to do it and the reasons.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...l=1#post970656

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black