Spyder Garage

Default near spyder crash

Hello all,

Not sure if you all have seen this yet but I came across it and it shows just how fast things can go wrong. If it has already been posten then I'm sorry

Jim

2012 Can am Spyder RT Limited
    2013 Chevy Camaro SS

Spyder Garage

Default man that was too close

zipping along with plenty of room, then the margin of open space went too zero fast ! it looked like they knocked tires , but I guess that was the down shifting that made it look and sound like a tire clip !

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by youngers View Post
    zipping along with plenty of room, then the margin of open space went too zero fast ! it looked like they knocked tires , but I guess that was the down shifting that made it look and sound like a tire clip !
    Thats what I'm thinking. If they did hit I'm sure they would have dismounted and inspected their bikes. I posted on other threads that after doing accident investigations and being in an MC club for years.....other bikes and not cars are your 1st threat. My thoughts.

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I would not want the guy with the camera following me. It simply looks like he got distracted and wasn't paying attention. Bad combo no matter what you drive.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

I would surmise, more Spyder's run into Spyder's than cars run into Spyder's. At least this is true with Motorcycles and cars. Be careful who you ride

with and that their "Helmet is not empty". I have never been hit by a car but twice by other riders on motorcycles not paying attention.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Solid white line means HOLD YOUR LANE.

also... the closing rate ? obviously too fast. and THAT is how fast things, go wrong. Fast things like cycle, rocket, etc..
    Flatlander, Navy Veteran, Widower
    Loved my 2014 RTS SE6 Pearl white
    but have a new love now,
    my 2017 RTS SE6 Champagne metallic (Champ)

Spyder Garage

Default scary...

It was a good thing there was enough sholder for that emergency pass. As mentioned above, more bikes run into each other especially in group rydes. They need to stress it is not a race and to relax and enjoy the ryde cause no one will be left behind. They should also group up according to ability maybe a slow group and a more agressive one. We cut the fast ones loose and they secure the space for the rest at the lunch site....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

They did not hit. Watch close.
    There is a bump/rut in the road and that is what made it look like they hit (jar the camera) and a second rut in the road after he/she passes.
    Needless to say the person was way too late getting on the brakes. Not paying attention maybe?
    I have seen this almost happen a few times when on group rides. Be careful out there!

Bob
    Last edited by finless; 08-12-2017 at 10:16 AM.
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

hayharris, thanks much for posting this. Regardless of who might have done what wrong, it's a great reminder for me to keep scanning ahead and be mentally alert and prepared at all times. I am sometimes guilty of letting my mind wander a bit on Interstate trips, and that video will help me to remember 3 things I had already learned on 2-wheelers over the years:

1. When things seem calm while you are riding, that is when you are usually most vulnerable.
    2. When things go wrong while riding, they go wrong very very quickly.
    3. There are very few if any "fender benders" when you are on a motorcycle.

Cheers!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Looks like a case of not paying attention. Bike in front slows down suddenly, probably due to seeing the rut in the road. Spyder in back wasn't quick enough on the brakes.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

Obviously not paying attention as brake lights were visibly on.
    No HAND SIGNAL showing driver to rear that vehicle was slowing down.

Sorry to say the reality of Spyder in Group Rides are not educated in Group Riding. No hand signals, lack of discipline, lack of group riding techniques all played in this near encounter.
    Example: In a Group Ride, changing lanes should look like a snake, meaning NO ONE changes lanes on their OWN, and NO ONE moves over UNTIL the bike in front moves. Spyder rides move as soon as they see the signal up front and they do NOT pass back a hand signals from the lead. Of course most leads to not give hand signals.

No Training, lots of ignorance out there about group riding, and everyone thinks they can be a "Lead" Road Captain!

AJ

2014 RT-S
    Akrapovic Exhaust & Cat Bypass
    Bajaron Sway Bar w/links / Sena SM-10/Garmin 660
    Comfort Seat w Adjustable Backrest
    Decals by Purple Harley / Magic Strobe
    Kuryakyn Black Widow Pegs Rivco Highway Brackets
    Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder
    FOBO / Spyder Cuff / XM Radio w MC Antenna

2014 RT/S , Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

We'll passing a truck in a blind curve was bad enough. Then cutting him up short to pass the other car was even worse. It could have been a lot more than just running off the shoulder if the truck driver couldn't have gotten stopped In time. Getting mashed by a 80,000 lb truck isn't a good day .
    Just saying guys. I know I've been doing it for 40 yrs. And seen a lot of stuff I wish I hadn't seen. Thinking before doing is a good rule of thumb.

Spyder Garage

After passing the Knight Transportation truck, there is an arrow directing traffic to the left lane (frame #15) There are several rumble strip warnings in the road leading up to the lane changes. Then the right lane is blocked out with diagonal white stripes. To me that indicates STAY LEFT. The rider instead opted to cut off the truck and move to the right lane. Then the left lane is blocked out so It looks like this area transitions from 2 down to 1 lane. Not visible in the video but I bet there were "One Lane Road Ahead" signs The rider was way too slow on brakes and evasive maneuvers. Just not paying attention. Probably more interested in getting ahead of the truck before the road went down to one lane. Then to make matters worse, no one used turn signals even when re-entering the highway. I don't mean to be offensive, but opt me out from riding with this group.
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Nobody got hurt, and nothing got wrecked!
    But not for the lack of trying!
    This lesson has been well-learned.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Years ago I belonged to a small riding group. There was one guy in the group that kept having close calls with other riders and just himself at times. Paying attention was definitely not his forte. After a number of these near-accidents we removed him from the group. Forward several years later.....

He created another riding group, this time with his Harley friends. On one ride a meth-addled dump truck driver failed to see the stopped group at an intersection and plowed into our former rider and his wife. The wife and two other riders were killed. The rider was seriously injured. The meth head went to prison.

The one thing we kept telling our former rider.....use your mirrors! Karma is a bitch.

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/36040752/n...ed-ariz-crash/

Spyder Garage

the camera man was stupid, that's the bottom line
    no excuse for not paying attention-no excuse
    too fast? not a reason, no hand signal? not a reason
    not paying attention? reason
    worse than a soccer mon in an SUV, just stupid

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RinconRyder View Post
    Years ago I belonged to a small riding group. There was one guy in the group that kept having close calls with other riders and just himself at times. Paying attention was definitely not his forte. After a number of these near-accidents we removed him from the group. Forward several years later.....

He created another riding group, this time with his Harley friends. On one ride a meth-addled dump truck driver failed to see the stopped group at an intersection and plowed into our former rider and his wife. The wife and two other riders were killed. The rider was seriously injured. The meth head went to prison.

The one thing we kept telling our former rider.....use your mirrors! Karma is a bitch.

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/36040752/n...ed-ariz-crash/
    I remember that well. Seems like it was just yesterday. The images and memory of this tragedy are still fresh and haunt me today
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

So, what actually happened?
    Any commentary on the actual rider, outing, etc.?
    HAND'S UP:
    The only sure way of getting rid of bad habits is to create good ones.
    AND, by the way, this will not happen on auto pilot.

It's time for a YOU-turn!!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for posting this lesson for us all. We must pay attention at all times.

I would add to the other advice given that when you pull off to regroup, you pull all the way off the road-way, and not stop on the shoulder. There was a business parking area adjacent to the road and it would have been safer for all the Spyders to move over there than to slow/stop on the shoulder. Especially on a multi-lane road like that. You never know if those cage drivers are paying attention to what's on their right.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

On the way to Spyderfest this year, the girl in front of me passed a semi with her cruise on. I did the same. Just as I pulled in behind her, her cruise shut off. I was between her and the truck. Nobody hit anybody, but I don't want to know how close that truck was to me at 75mph. Her cruise never acted up again, but it did shut off then.