Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default dust cap popping off

Hi, My dust cap (I think it's called that) keeps popping off. Anyone else having this problem and will it cause a problem?
    Thanks, Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2014 RT Limited Matte Silver, Belt Guard, RT Dash Mount, Show Chrome Can-Am Spyder RT Passenger Arm Rest, Show Chrome Full Size Brake Pedal,Best shop manual, Spyder keycover with hole, Utopia drivers backrest, Showchrome trailor hitch, ShowChrome Acc Trailer Acc Rack, 2014 CA Spyder RT-RTS Master Collection-HDSv5, Airhawk Cushion, Spyderpops bumpskid, Ipod cable, Led lights, Driver Hiway pegs, Shorty Antenna, Pin Striping, ECU flash, TriAx adjustible handlebars,
    Will it ever stop--NO

Spyder Garage

BRP has some really cool machined aluminum ones that bolt on.....

never miss the chance to farkle ;-)

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Default Dust cap problem

Quote Originally Posted by wmh9680 View Post
    Hi, My dust cap (I think it's called that) keeps popping off. Anyone else having this problem and will it cause a problem?
    Thanks, Mike
    Same thing on my F3T, run a small amount of silicone bead around edge. Works good no more lost caps.

Spyder Garage

Yup! One missing on my "nanner." Thanks for the reminder and the possible solutions.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

yes, one side came off my RT Ltd also
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Spyder Garage

There was a thread on this topic almost three years ago when I bought my Spyder. I did as one poster suggested and put small dabs of RTV silicone on the tabs that hold the caps in place. It is an excellent solution; mine are still in place and show no signs of coming loose.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    There was a thread on this topic almost three years ago when I bought my Spyder. I did as one poster suggested and put small dabs of RTV silicone on the tabs that hold the caps in place. It is an excellent solution; mine are still in place and show no signs of coming loose.

What he said.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Default Oh yeah....

you can walk down a line of spyders and not find one that has them both. Unlike the rear axle covers these spin. Lamont has some that set screw on and I have had for years. Maybe some silicone would keep them on longer....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Thanks, I just put on my Show Chrome trailor hitch and rack so I now have 2 spares. Thanks, Mike
    2014 RT Limited Matte Silver, Belt Guard, RT Dash Mount, Show Chrome Can-Am Spyder RT Passenger Arm Rest, Show Chrome Full Size Brake Pedal,Best shop manual, Spyder keycover with hole, Utopia drivers backrest, Showchrome trailor hitch, ShowChrome Acc Trailer Acc Rack, 2014 CA Spyder RT-RTS Master Collection-HDSv5, Airhawk Cushion, Spyderpops bumpskid, Ipod cable, Led lights, Driver Hiway pegs, Shorty Antenna, Pin Striping, ECU flash, TriAx adjustible handlebars,
    Will it ever stop--NO

Spyder Garage

The front dust caps on the RTs, 2014 and later that I know of, do not spin. They are mounted to the L & R knuckle assemblies which are connected to the upper and lower A arms and tie rods and to which the hub assemblies are bolted.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Default Wow

you mean those are covered ? did not even think about it , although I do watch the spin action as I ride ... can some one post a photo of the chrome spin on type ? thanks

Spyder Garage

went out to double check , yeppers double gone

Spyder Garage

The part number is 705401100, wheel cap
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

I must have a defective trike. Mine are both still attached after about 2,000 miles. 2017 RTS.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

They sure are mounted pretty crummy. I am afraid to touch it or they will fall off

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage
    Last edited by trikermutha; 08-13-2017 at 03:56 PM.

Spyder Garage

Mine have been gone since 2012, and 50,000 miles later.

Spyder Garage

You need to takes yours to the shop and have one remove quickly

Spyder Garage

oops, the rear caps are totally different and the one that falls off has a couple of tips boken off. Mike
    Will it ever stop--NO

Spyder Garage

On my 2014 hitting a pot hole or a really bad road I have lost a few front. Bought about 6 for 4.95 a year ago and have 2 left. Funny that after they rebuilt our freeway I lost 2 going over a "new" bridge! Road was about 3 in higher than the end of the bridge! Great craftsmanship. Oh ya the construction co was from Mexico and one day just never showed up for work. Defaulted on there contact. talk about a mess.

Spyder Garage

I noticed last week that I'd lost one. New one due in at the dealer any day now. Will silicone both.

Spyder Garage

Or get fancy and put Glo Hub rings...
    NEW/CURRENT (Wife's Bike, I ride Goldwing/Africa Twin)
    2023 RT Limited Petrol Blue Metallic
    Working on the upgrades... so far... Show Chrome Isolator Fuse Block, Tackform Adventure Wireless charger phone mount

OLD/TRADED
    2015 RT Limited Intense Red Pearl
    Farkles: Ultimate Tallboy seat, FOBO, JT Dash Mount, Lamonster Spyder Cuff, Kradellock, TricLED lighting - fenders, A-Arms, saddlebags, run/brake, Custom Dynamics high brake light, brake modulator, Drink2Go passenger, MUTH turn signal mirrors, Bajaron sway bar, Kuryakyn ISO grips, SpyderTV front grilles & rear trunk organizer, homemade trunk light
    Pending: Elka shocks, Yokohama S Drive rear tire, EVO 595 front tires, Centramatic balancers, Neutrino black box

Spyder Garage

After losing two, I used some 3M trim adhesive and not had to replace yet.

Gunner

Spyder Garage

I was concerned because my 2012 RT A&C is missing both front wheel caps and the axle nuts and bearings are exposed. That is until I looked at a parts diagram and discovered that there is no such part on a 2012. So I wonder if those caps are truly necessary.

UPDATE: on further research I determined that the inner wheel caps were not added until the 2013 model (i.e. 2010-2012 did not have them). I might assume the same part would fit on a pre-2013. Does anyone have an opinion whether I should add them on my 2012? It still has low miles (~7000) and so far the front wheel assemblies are very clean and almost new-looking.
    Last edited by KLo5591; 08-23-2017 at 05:21 AM.

Spyder Garage

Default i bought the 2013 or 2014

Quote Originally Posted by KLo5591 View Post
    I was concerned because my 2012 RT A&C is missing both front wheel caps and the axle nuts and bearings are exposed. That is until I looked at a parts diagram and discovered that there is no such part on a 2012. So I wonder if those caps are truly necessary.

UPDATE: on further research I determined that the inner wheel caps were not added until the 2013 model (i.e. 2010-2012 did not have them). I might assume the same part would fit on a pre-2013. Does anyone have an opinion whether I should add them on my 2012? It still has low miles (~7000) and so far the front wheel assemblies are very clean and almost new-looking.
    I picked up a couple dust covers for the 2012 using the 2013 numbers they do not work , { start cheep and work my way up } I did how ever see a nice looking bolt on type , using new bolts , the dust cap is bolted onto the frame where the fenders are attached , new longer bolts come with the cover ----> I am looking for the item as I type forgot where I saw it will check back in when I found them again