Thread: F3 or RT?

Spyder Garage

Default F3 or RT?

Hi guys, I'm a newbie here. I am only starting to look for our Spyder and I'm trying to decide between the F3 and the RT.

I like the styling and reduced "Tupperwear" on the F3 and I'm coming from a Harley so the seating position would seem to be comfortable. We live in NC and run the ridges "briskly".

Is there anything that should make me choose the RT instead? We are planning to do 2 up approximately 40 percent of the time.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Spyder Garage

Both are great. But if you 2 up a lot, I would test drive with the 2nd rider and see how if feels for both... usually the 2nd rider will feel better on one over the other.
    2017 Can Am Commander Limited
    2012 Cadillac CTS-V Black Diamond
    2020 F3 Limited Magma Red (miss the 2011 Viper red)
    2010 RT622 - Black

Spyder Garage

Default RT or F3

Quote Originally Posted by ncmedic View Post
    Hi guys, I'm a newbie here. I am only starting to look for our Spyder and I'm trying to decide between the F3 and the RT.

I like the styling and reduced "Tupperwear" on the F3 and I'm coming from a Harley so the seating position would seem to be comfortable. We live in NC and run the ridges "briskly".

Is there anything that should make me choose the RT instead? We are planning to do 2 up approximately 40 percent of the time.

Hi, I just traded my RT for a F3 T. The reason I traded is because the RT severely restricts airflow to your upper body. I had the vented windshield and the adjustable air vents and it was better but still the air was restricted. The RT also bothered my knee because of the riding position. My wife and I tried the F3 L with the case on the back and my wife didn't like the feel of the seat and was very uncomfortable. We ended up with the F3 T with the removable backrest and she is very happy The RT is great but I am glad that I changed to the F3. Hope this helps

Spyder Garage

Any two up riding requires a RT! So the RT owners say even though let don't ride a F3.
    Your money you choose.
    Try both and see which one fits you and your passenger!
    Don't make a 30K mistake.
    Last edited by ABQSpyder; 08-11-2017 at 02:14 PM.

Spyder Garage

You gotta test ride bofum to make an informed decision that satisfies YOU.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

This is just like the "Blonde, versus Brunette, versus Redhead" debate...
    The only correct answer, is "YES!!"
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

A test drive is in order, and, bring the spouse along. Most people prefer the RT for two up riding. Add in more storage and it's usually a no brainer.

Cost wise--you will spend about the same. Style wise--the F3 wins hands down.

I am a RT person--with three of them to my credit. Tried the test sit on F3 and that was as far as I got.

Let us know what YOU decide.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

There is no one that can make that choice other than you and your wife. Test drive them both and make the choice, you can't go wrong with the one that fits you best!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    However, Bob, it's not like the Holy Grail. I'm sure NCmedic will enjoy whatever Spyder he chooses.

NCmedic, I've had both - 2 RTs and now an F3T, and they each have their points. You've gotten some good advice here already, so I can only say: Buy the dang Spyder and start enjoying it!!!!
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Thanks everyone. Great advice and words of wisdom and experience.

My current ride is a HD Road Glide Custom. Before that it was a GL1800 and FJR1300.

Both knees are shot, so the upright position and footpegs on the Wing didn't work. The Harley is much more comfortable. Just starting to look, my thought was to go with the seating most similar to my Harley.

I'm sort of bewildered by the blizzard of different models. Can you buy a base model and add all the extras? I've seen Corbin bags, for example, that look better than the OEM ones. I assume it's the same with stereos, shocks, etc.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate looks at -- View Post
    There is no one that can make that choice other than you and your wife. Test drive them both and make the choice, you can't go wrong with the one that fits you best!
    Pirate has offered the BEST information of the lot. Try all three models (there are two distinct models of F3.....one pure sports model (like a naked) that some people ride two two up occasionally and one more touring oriented with better shocks, saddlebags, fairing etc). RT, F3S and F3-L. Make sure you try them all two up.

Then come back back and start asking questions about your concerns. You'll find they have probably all been raised before

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hi guys, I'm a newbie here. I am only starting to look for our Spyder and I'm trying to decide between the F3 and the RT. I like the styling and reduced "Tupperwear" on the F3 and I'm coming from a Harley so the seating position would seem to be comfortable. We live in NC and run the ridges "briskly". Is there anything that should make me choose the RT instead? We are planning to do 2 up approximately 40 percent of the time. Thanks in advance for any advice!
    If you're into aggressive riding, particularly day rides solo, get the F3. If you're a more leisurely long distance touring type, get the RT. If you can afford it, get both!
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Default It is quite the personal decision

My current ride is a HD Road Glide Custom. Before that it was a GL1800 and FJR1300.

Both knees are shot, so the upright position and footpegs on the Wing didn't work. The Harley is much more comfortable. Just starting to look, my thought was to go with the seating most similar to my Harley.

I'm sort of bewildered by the blizzard of different models. Can you buy a base model and add all the extras? I've seen Corbin bags, for example, that look better than the OEM ones. I assume it's the same with stereos, shocks, etc.
    Make sure you get a demo ride on each. Sounds like you enjoy the open road and both will give you a very dependable platform to rack up some miles. My last bike was a Road King, and I really like the 6 speed, and storage I have on a 15 RT base model. One of these days I'll add some floorboards, but for now Lamonsters NBV brackets and pegs give me some place to move my feet. I enjoy the lower center of gravity and sporty ride of the F3, but after 27,000 miles on the RT its still my ride of choice. To each their own
    07 Shadows, Aero, Spirit gone but not forgotten
    03 Harley Sportster, 07 RK moved on
    11 RT- 76,000 mi, 15 RT-S- 44,000 mi, traded for current 15 base RT and 16 F3T
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss

Spyder Garage

Yes, you can buy a base model. It cost more bucks to add on some of the accessories than to buy the upline version. Well equipped for the RT is the RT-S. The mid range price one.

The F3 people can tell you which is a good model to buy there.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default F3 or RT?

I have an RT. Bought it used,private sale. I like the styling of the F3 and the foot control position. I have never ridden an F3 but it seemed to me to have a lower center of gravity and probably handle better. Like other replies I think the foot control position would be my deciding factor but a test ride would be the way to go!

Spyder Garage

Like everyone else said.....it's a very personal decision. I had an RT Limited & always felt that I was on top of it & riding my Spyder. I purchased an F3 Limited a few months ago because after driving one I felt like I was part of the Spyder & was in it not on it.

While I ride single most of the time, 2 up was a concern. My wife is very happy on the F3 & it almost feels like we have more room even though neither of us is the weight our doctor wants . I can tell you that I will never go back to an RT.........just my personal taste.

Buying a Spyder is the right decision......which model is right for you is a reason to ride them all !!
    2016 F3 Limited with Topcase, RT-622 trailer, Lamonster LED Headlights, Lamonster LED Fog lights, Lamonster LED Ring Lights, 25" F4 windshield, BRP Belt Tensioner, 2018 Triton GU10 trailer to haul it

Spyder Garage

Default Plugger2

Had 2 rts and bought A F3limited. F3 hands up .wouldnt change for the world F3 l all the way

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Can you buy the Base model, and upgrade at a later date?
    I did that with my first RT (The Blue one)
    With enough time, money, and effort: you can do almost anything!
    (But it's MUCH handier, to just buy the bike that you wanted in the first place... )

Spyder Garage

This is just me and my opinion so take it with a grain of salt. I've only demo ridden 4 different Spyders since they came out in 2008. I'm leaving out the original one as it was too much like a sportbike's ergonomics but the next two were RTs first being a 990 V-twin and the second one a 1330 triple. I liked them both but the 1330 was a bit better. The ergos was very similar to sitting on a Gold Wing with about a 90 degree bend to my knees. Ride and handling were very similar on both RTs. In 2015 I got to demo an F3S and that made a world of difference with the feet forward ergos and the lower seating. It seemed to handle more like a sports car and less like a trike, at least in my mind. So base upon my limited experiences I have a preference for the F3 and if I were to get one I would pop for the F3 Limited so I could take my wife on it for some day trips and overnight trips. Just my measly two cents worth.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

4 summers on an RTS, and now with a new F3L we would never go back for both solo or 2 up. 2017 F3L does everything better for us.