Thread: DPS question

Spyder Garage

Default DPS question

I'm not sure my DPS is operating correctly. Of course there is no assist when standing still but I also do not feel a lot when rolling. Going thru the sweepers at 60-70 takes more than girly strength to maintain a good line. If I had to guess, I think I am applying at least 20 lbs pushing the handle bars in corners. After a full days riding I feel like I just had a good gym session. I have read where others are able to ride one-armed. No way on my bike. Perhaps I am looking for excuses for my lack of skills. I have read all the suggestions about relaxing, pretend you are holding eggs, go with the flow, etc, and tried it all. After 6,000 miles I still find the twisties a challenge and exhausting. Should I expect to feel some assist from the DPS? (I don't) Is there any way to know that it is working correctly? I am not getting any fault codes. Thanks......
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

If you haven't yet, try getting a laser alignment. Make sure that the shop resets the steering sensor afterward. If you're alignment is off, you are fighting just to keep it straight.
    2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default DPS operation

From the service manual and other sources:

“The amount of steering assist provided is dependent on the handlebar effort (steering torque), steering angle and the vehicle speed.

The greater the handlebar effort (steering torque), the greater the assist will be.

The slower the vehicle speed, the greater the assist will be.”

So by design, you don’t have any assist at 60 - 70 MPH....or at least a minimal amount.

Try this demonstration for yourself - if your garage floor has a standard, smooth concrete finish, go out to your Spyder and with everything shutdown, move the handlebars fully left to right, repeatedly, until you have a feeling for the level of effort required with the engine off. Then start the engine and do the same thing. Unless you have a really rough floor surface, you will notice a distinct level of assist with the engine running from the DPS. On rough, worn out asphalt parking lots - no, you won’t. Thus the Can-Am DPS is designed to assist you in low speed maneuvering, not highway speed operations. These days, BRP has DPS on their ATVs and Side-By-Sides and they all work about the same way, except for the ones where you can adjust the level of assist.

The laser alignment is never a bad idea. Of course, if you’re under warranty and still have questions, ask your dealer to check it out.
    Last edited by Snowbelt Spyder; 08-11-2017 at 07:04 PM.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238