Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Spyder Garage

I usually get ppl staring if the've never seen a Spyder. The weirdest comment I've ever had was from an old lady who I had parked next to. I was putting my gear back on and she was getting into her carr looked over and said "That looks like something I could handle" and then laughed. For a second I thought it was a complement but then thought nope that was not a compliment. It made me laugh, that old lady had spunk. As for "the wave" I get a lot of waves back even from some HD riders. I of course get ignored some HD riders but I noticed it depends on the HD. Saw a guy on and older HD coming my way once so I did the keep it rubber side down gesture. He didn't wave (had ape hangers) but I got a nod of approval. At the end of the day it's all good I love my Spyder.
    Last edited by jmatera; 08-16-2017 at 03:05 PM.
    2016 Spyder RS SM5
    2016 RS , Black

Spyder Garage

While reading I remembered a criticism that made me a biker that has a Honda Aero 750 and has a high handlebar, type "hang monkeys".
    He told me that the Spyder were not aerodynamic and that BRP had no idea.
    How can someone who drives without a windscreen and with his arms opened receiving all the wind in his chest tell me about bad aerodynamics?
    How can someone say tha BRP that builds aircrafts and high speed trains doesn't know about aerodynamics?
    Stupidity has no limits.
    2018 F3 Ltd. , Black/Dark

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default 2010 RSS SE5

My 2010 is as close as you are going to get to a sport bike in an older can am she has a fuel kit and two brothers pipe! very fast for a spyder tops out at 130 mph 0-60 in 3.8 sec I don't care what they think about me I don't think about them at all!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    ​And where exactly did you get a picture of MY WIFE ......sorry I couldn't resist ..................Mike
    From your dreams
    2015 F3's , two 12 volt power outlets Orange & Black

Spyder Garage

Default waves

I get waves from all types, but most of the time I am with others, who ride all types of bikes. So they might just be waving at them.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I get good natured ribbing from friends about my "old man's ride" - until I pulled out a box of cookies from the frunk during a ride one day. I told them it can also carry a six pack in ice.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by asp125 View Post
    I get good natured ribbing from friends about my "old man's ride" - until I pulled out a box of cookies from the frunk during a ride one day. I told them it can also carry a six pack in ice.
    Yeah, a couple of my Harley buddies gave me that crap....until I carved thru some twisties and left them as little specks in my rear-view mirrors. But, then a girl on a slingshot made me look humble . Man, those slingshots can corner!

Spyder Garage

This thread seems to have morphed a bit from the subject of other peoples' reactions in general, to the issue of who waves back, and whether some particular bikers who prefer certain makes are more or less polite/responsive than others. My thoughts, after returning to biking following an extended, 40-year absence:

The Spyder sure is different, both in looks and appeal. It's going to evoke a reaction, and not likely to be ignored; all owners should be prepared for this, one way or the other. Most reactions are positive, in our experience - about 98:2. Old folks are amused; kids are really delighted. The bike looks like it stepped out of a cartoon, so what's to be negative or un-pleased by it!! Mostly we get asked: "Is it comfortable? Is it fun?" To which we say: "Absolutely, go buy one!" By and large, everyone smiles. There are always two jerks, two downers in every crowd who will never change, and don't want to know any different. Leave them be; their loss.

Waves and nods: I had to get used to waving back, to re-learn the 'courtesies' of bike riding after so many years of cage driving and threats from road rage personalities more inclined to hate than like. "Oh yeah", I told the wife, "bikers do wave at one another. It's the custom for one 'Knight of the Road' to salute another when meeting". So, we wave; we don't get pissed if the other guy doesn't wave back. But, we do notice. It is a kind of courtesy thing, a gesture of respect from one rider to another, simply for braving the elements and taking the open bike out into tough territory where other, much larger predatory beasts roam. We all face the same hazards; all of us should try to be respectful, even when 2% act like jerks; we'll survive better in spite of them.

A quick story about the greatest wave I've yet had from another biker. Last weekend, we rode Hwy 507 in Ontario, long reputed to be one of North America's twistiest rides. It has seen more than it's share of fatalities, cars as well as bikes. We were northbound, at fairly sedate speed in tight turns with dips and climbs, when out of nowhere, coming downhill, south, left curve, very fast, was a green two-wheel rocket with a biker in at least a 45 degree lean; any lower and he would have been scraping a knee. I was simply amazed; he waved before I did. When he dropped his left hand, two fingers down, I could have sworn he almost touched pavement. I took his wave as an immense token of respect; just taking his hand off the bar was amazing. A nod would have been more than most would have even tried. He had my respect back a thousand-fold, not just for the friendly gesture, but also for his riding skill. He was calmly in control throughout - almost as if we had simply walked past one another and smiled on a quiet village sidewalk. Cool!!!

A respectful wave to all; safe ryding folks.
    Last edited by bushrat; 09-22-2017 at 07:24 PM.
    [SIGPIC]
    2017 F3 Ltd. Intense Red Pearl/Metallic Black topside
    2017 F3Limited , lowered brake pedal Intense Red Pearl w. Metallic Black topside

Spyder Garage

Default Plugger2

Our club in Pa. is Pa spyder Ryders and most of Ryder on road give u a road wave.When we stop for a break always are asking questions,never seen one,are they expensive.Harley riders are friendly also. When we have a ride we come to a stop sign and have a bunch of riders traffic going other way will stop and let everybody go thru. Not everybody will do that but a lot will let u go..

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tazzel View Post
    The only sh*t I get is from Harley riders but they are rude to everyone.
    I have noticed a lot more tolerance from Harley riders since Harley's Tri-Glide became popular.

2013 RS-S SM5 [His] • 2021 RT Base [Hers] • 1977 Bultaco custom roadster • 1974 Harley-Davidson/Aermacchi 350 SS

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jimmybarton View Post
    Everywhere I go ppl look and when I stop ppl ask and say good things. Of course I love that and all but I'm really amazed at how many ppl have not seen these bikes before except on tv commercials or somewhere they don't usually go. In my part of the world, New Orleans westbank, there aren't any (or very few) that I see even driving around in the car. So, I guess down south here they are quite a novelty.
    I grew up on the Westbank in Terrytown. Over the lake in Madisonville now. Just ordered my 2021 Spyder F3-SE6 yesterday. You are correct. They are few and far between in SE LA. The only thing that concerns me is getting decent service. I guess we'll see how it goes.
    Last edited by Thunderpunk; 03-31-2021 at 08:45 PM. Reason: Added Quote

Spyder Garage

I get people asking about it all the time. Everyone I've talked to has had positive comments. I know what I enjoy, and I don't care what others think, but it's nice to get the waves from other riders. I know some people think, "Well, maybe I'll get one when I'm old and feeble." That's okay. I enjoyed my 40+ years of riding on two wheels, too. Now, I'm lovin' life on 3, very quick, wheels.
    -Carsong
    2018 F3t
    2018 F3T , Position 5/ full size Matt Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke68 View Post
    I rode HD's for 52 years and enjoyed every mile.
    A year ago I bought my first Spyder, A 2016 F3 Limited, and have not regretted that
    decision.

My advice to you is: It's not WHAT you ride - It's THAT you ride that matters.
    Get out there in the wind on something.
    If it's a Spyder you will have chosen wisely grasshopper.

Smoke68
    I agree. I only rode my Harley from 98 to 13 but here is what I have to say. My wife and I go to a straight up Harley (bad as$) bar every Wednesday on my spyder. It’s the type of bar that serves .35 wings and .25 draft and only big tired trucks, bikes and muscle cars are there. I sit on then back patio and watch all those “all in black leather bandaned boys” walk up to my bike and look it over each week. I’m known as spyder boy. I’m 52 but they call me boy anyway. Not one has ever said get a real bike. There’s a Vietnam vet that can probably kick the crap out of all of us, and he only has one leg. He’s thrown his body over my spyder a couple times and sat. He just smiles. He’s getting one so he can ride again. 3/4 of those guys smile and cheer him on to get one too. Harley guys are the same as you and me. I get waves from them all. When my wife is on the back, every rider waves. In my area, I’d say 50 percent of the weekend warriors are 50 plus year olds and their wives on the back just like us here. In fact, I’d say the average age here is 60+ and respected. We’re all the same. We enjoy the wind in our faces. As for common people, I get asked everywhere we go about the spyder. Is an eye catcher magnet and everyone smiles because it is a happy looking machine.

“Born to Ride......Ride to Live....MOATER ON !
    “Current ride: 2017 RT Limited”

Spyder Garage

I’ve ridden Harleys since 1956 and I’ve always shown respect to other riders with a good wave. Now that I switched to an RT, I find a lot of curiosity at fuel stops etc. and very few people don’t wave back.

Spyder Garage

Im in Clemmons NC and my job is in Winston Salem NC and every time I stop for gas or at lights I get questions and nothing but great feedback about the bike... Just like anything else we have to use wisdom but all in all I never regret the purchase and look forward to longer rides and not just commutes to work...A little story I met a couple at a parts store and when the husband saw the bike we ended up talking about motorcycles for about two hours in the parking lot...He actually was a Harley rider and still has one, but its to heavy to keep up..(bad knees from years of abuse..) but he actually gave me a lot of good advice on maintenance and about riding in general...I say all that to say keep riding be safe and use the wisdom from this website and others to expand your knowledge on the beautiful machine that keeps us older folks in the wind...

Spyder Garage

I'm a recent convert from 2 wheels sport tourer to the RT because my ego can't deal with the 0 mph drops. Everyone I rode with before has fully accepted the transition. At 1st, I relegated myself to sweeper to stay out of the way of the 2 wheeled hooligans in our group. After 2 months, I'm now running in 3rd or 4th slot because the guys behind struggle to stay with us in the twisties. Many times I nearly ran into them in corners. One of the fast guys (on a FJ09) dropped his bike at a light last weekend - not 30 minutes after he showed a serious interest in my RT. I think anyone with an open mind would consider a Spyder when their riding desire is stronger than their ego. Wind Therapy works regardless of the wheel count under you.

As for waves, I've found those that waved at me before still wave and those that wave at no one, still don't.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

Here in Arizona just about everyone waves, hand out and low beside you. I think it is newbies that have not yet learned the wave that don't do it. Now, when a Spyder is passing the other direction I put cruise control on if it is not already on and give them the touch down wave. Regarding a group of HD guys looking down their noises at you at a stop, drop the Spyder in reverse and back a circle around them. How do you like me now??
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2018 RT Limited - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix/ 2018 RT Limited Chrome
    Champagne Metallic Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker)Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Federal Formosa's front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zuno XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer up North and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM drivers backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with volt meter, dash cam, foam grips - magic mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Spyder Garage

I’ve been told, on occasion, “it’s not a motorcycle”. I usually explain:

MOTORized biCYCLE
    MOTORized triCYCLE

Followed by some variant of “go away, you silly person”

MWO (Ret'd) SJ Barnes
    ‘20 RTL Stone Grey
    named Britannia in honour of EE Doc Smith’s
    Grey Lensman’s ship.
    Farkles:
    Bestem Carplay
    canamsypderaccessories hitch and wiring harness,
    showchrome trunk rack,
    12v AND dual USB direct to battery in the frunk,
    dual USB switched in the blank console switch spot (parasites the power off the seat heater switch),
    frunk lid organizer,
    trunk organizer,
    showchrome rider backrest,
    ryder and passenger cup holders,
    ram mount for the iPad mini I use for GPS
    quadlock phone mount
    Nautilus horn
    Data blocker on the glove box USB
    Big Bike Parts highway pegs
    Spyderzone dash pouch
    Convex mirrors

‘20 Ryker 900 (my wife’s ryde)
    Farkles
    Slingmods fwd/rev ‘suicide shifter’
    frunk organizer
    dual horn
    Max mount
    Rear seat with tall back rest (not mounted)
    Ryder backrest (not mounted)
    Side bag
    Top bag

top bag makes a good backrest. Will swap on the rear seat if she ever wants to 2up
    2020 RT Limited , Stone Gray

Girard OH (summer) Greenville SC (winter)
    Spyder Garage

After 66 years and 500,000 on 2 wheels and knees destroyed by motocross, I love this thing. Care not what anyone says, never did...
    to see my 2016 F3-T and many how to's
    2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey

Spyder Garage

My favorite riding partner is my brother, on his Harley. I always lead because I have the GPS and just randomly pick out curvy roads and stuff. He tells me he's amazed at how many people point and gawk at my Spyder. He's also noticed a lot of other motorcycle riders that didn't wave to me but waved to him.

My Mods:
    Elka Stage 5 rear shock with spring preload adjust
    Monster Stage 2 ECU
    Pedal Commander
    RLS cat delete
    Baja Ron sway bar
    Baker Air Wings upper and lower
    Viking saddle bags
    Third pegs
    Vredestein tires front and rear
    Mad Stad windshield
    X-creen windshield deflector
    Front and rear drive cam
    Garmin Zumo XT
    Heated gear wiring
    Lamonster LED headlights
    Lamonster LED foglights
    Lamonster frame mount cupholder
    BRP heated handgrips
    Lamonster drivers backrest
    BRP passenger backrest
    Lidlock handlebar end helmet locks
    Barkbusters Storm handguards
    2020 F3S-SS , Titanium/Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rays hell View Post
    Some of the nicest folks I know ride Harleys. They have accepted me and what I choose to ride and we ride together almost every weekend.
    And they invite me to bike night at the HD dealer every month.
    I guess it is the same wind.
    Me Too

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Last week, I was on 2 wheels wife on spyder. HD passing opposite direction gave me 2 fingers down, then he gave her 3 fingers.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Hoginedgewood View Post
    Last week, I was on 2 wheels wife on spyder. HD passing opposite direction gave me 2 fingers down, then he gave her 3 fingers.
    What do those finger signals mean please?
    There is usually another way. 2020 F3Ltd.
    2020 F3 Ltd , Brake Pedel lowered. Liquid Titanium

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RazzleH View Post
    What do those finger signals mean please?
    2 fingers down = keep 2 wheels on the road; 3 fingers = keep 3 wheels on the road

Basically, the rider giving these 'signals' is recognising & sharing the 'Brotherhood of Riders'
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!