Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Question Hard vibration in the steering at 45 mph

Hello again,

I have a 2014 ST-S. So, last night something strange happened. My wife and I were on a ride and suddenly, when I got to about 45 mph and maintaining speed, the steering started shaking violently. I looked down and the wheels were shaking so hard they were a blur. It only did it between 45 and 48mph, and would go away if I accelerated or decelerated while it was happening. We were a good distance from home, so we turned around and made our way back. I dropped her at the house and then went out by myself. The vibration is still there, but much more muted with half the weight on the bike. I did a full check over everything on the bike and did notice that my oil was low, so I topped it off which seemed to help, but I wonder if there is something else wrong due to the fact that it seems to matter if there is more weight on the bike. Could the sway bar be loose or something? My wife just left her job, so my funds are extremely limited right now. I am afraid to take it in to the shop to find out it will be a large repair bill, so I am hoping it can be something I can fix myself.

The tires are only a couple months old, with less than 1000 miles on them. We have rode together on the bike many times before and have not had this issue. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    AlphaJoe
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    2014 ST-S - Congnac
    LidLock helmet locks
    LAmonster Ram mount with X-Grip

Spyder Garage

My guess is tire tread separation. I would check to see if the problem seems to come from one side more than the other. If so, swap tire sides and see if the vibration follows the tire. If that happens then you've solved the mystery. Good luck
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

What you described could be several things, but I would first check the tires you could have
    an out of round tire or a tire separation (bubble) on your tire. Jack it up and spin the tire to
    see if that is it, grab the tire while jacked up and move it front to back and look for broken
    or loose steering parts.
    Good luck
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaJoe View Post
    Hello again,

I have a 2014 ST-S. So, last night something strange happened. My wife and I were on a ride and suddenly, when I got to about 45 mph and maintaining speed, the steering started shaking violently. I looked down and the wheels were shaking so hard they were a blur. It only did it between 45 and 48mph, and would go away if I accelerated or decelerated while it was happening. We were a good distance from home, so we turned around and made our way back. I dropped her at the house and then went out by myself. The vibration is still there, but much more muted with half the weight on the bike. I did a full check over everything on the bike and did notice that my oil was low, so I topped it off which seemed to help, but I wonder if there is something else wrong due to the fact that it seems to matter if there is more weight on the bike. Could the sway bar be loose or something? My wife just left her job, so my funds are extremely limited right now. I am afraid to take it in to the shop to find out it will be a large repair bill, so I am hoping it can be something I can fix myself.

The tires are only a couple months old, with less than 1000 miles on them. We have rode together on the bike many times before and have not had this issue. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

jack it up, support it. take a block of 2 x 4 or something like that, drive a spike nail in the board enough so it won't fall out. place it just a fuzz from the center of the tire and spin the tire. see what happens.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    My guess is tire tread separation. I would check to see if the problem seems to come from one side more than the other. If so, swap tire sides and see if the vibration follows the tire. If that happens then you've solved the mystery. Good luck
    A caution about tire switch. The tires are directional and you will also have to swap them on the rims to have them go in the direction intended. The directional arrows are on the sidewall.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Checking for broken or badly worn steering parts is first. Next, check for wheel weights that might have fallen off. Do that by looking for glue marks on the rim with no weights.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    A caution about tire switch. The tires are directional and you will also have to swap them on the rims to have them go in the direction intended. The directional arrows are on the sidewall.
    AK, is it Ok to swap the wheels over for say a 5 mile test run? ......

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    AK, is it Ok to swap the wheels over for say a 5 mile test run? ......

Pete
    Probably will run "funny" because the tread, as designed, will be running "backwards." That's my best answer to a good question.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default VIBRATIONS

Hello again,

Thanks,
    Excuse me but ....What the H*ll kind of tires do you have now .....this could make a big difference in solutions ...............sorry just frustrated

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by quasi View Post
    jack it up, support it. take a block of 2 x 4 or something like that, drive a spike nail in the board enough so it won't fall out. place it just a fuzz from the center of the tire and spin the tire. see what happens.
    O thought that you were going to suggest he pound on both tires with that block and stud,;until they explode!
    Then: go get some new tires!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Vibration

I have a 2012 RTS and it started doing the same thing at the same speed. It is the tires causing the vibration on my bike. I had the same problem a few years back. Tread separation was the cause back then. I am sure it has happened again with these tires. Will be looking for car tires soon.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    O thought that you were going to suggest he pound on both tires with that block and stud,;until they explode!
    Then: go get some new tires!
    nope, just a cost effective dial indicator. you crack me up!!

Spyder Garage

Did you get the "Orange Screen"and/or any codes? When my RT did the same thing - at 70 mph - it turned out to be the Yaw Positioning Sensor. Replaced under warranty. When it happened to me, it scared the crap out of me.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

Default More info

Well, my front tires are at a perfect 18psi, right around where the manual says they should be, maybe a little higher. My digital pressure gauge won't reach the back one well, so I am going to have to find my thin old school one. It is in a box somewhere. The tires are fairly new, I got them at the beginning of the year and they don't even have 2000 miles yet. They are the Kemda tires on the front, and a Kumho car tire on the back.

I have noticed a squeak coming from the right front, where I feel the majority of the vibration is coming from. I notice it as I come to a stop, this faint <squeak><squeak><squeak><squeak><squeak>, right before I come to a stop. I have tried it without the brakes and it still does it.

I think I am going to have to bite the bullet and run it to the shop. Hopefully it is something that will fall under warranty (this is why I got the big platinum plan).

I will let everyone know what they find out. Thanks for all the input.
    AlphaJoe
    2014 ST-S - Congnac
    LidLock helmet locks

Spyder Garage

Default VIBRATIONS

Well, my front tires are at a perfect 18psi, right around where the manual says they should be, maybe a little higher. My digital pressure gauge won't reach the back one well, so I am going to have to find my thin old school one. It is in a box somewhere. The tires are fairly new, I got them at the beginning of the year and they don't even have 2000 miles yet. They are the Kemda tires on the front, and a Kumho car tire on the back.

I have noticed a squeak coming from the right front, where I feel the majority of the vibration is coming from. I notice it as I come to a stop, this faint <squeak><squeak><squeak><squeak><squeak>, right before I come to a stop. I have tried it without the brakes and it still does it.

I think I am going to have to bite the bullet and run it to the shop. Hopefully it is something that will fall under warranty (this is why I got the big platinum plan).

I will let everyone know what they find out. Thanks for all the input.

Thanks for update on the type of tires .... Since you have Kenda's on the front I agree with canamjhb it sounds like ply separation ..... ON the squeak thing try lifting the front off the ground and spinning the tires by hand .....OEM pads are known to Squeek ......... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 08-14-2017 at 02:06 PM.

Spyder Garage

I had the same/similar problem with my 2012 RTS

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-Wheel-wobbles

I have about 14K miles on the replacement tires, I still have the problem sometimes,
    but it's an indication that 1 of the tires is low on air. Once you add air and match the pressure
    in both tires (BTW the Lamonster pump is great for doing this) it's all okay.
    Ed

They told me not to give up on my dreams, so I went back to sleep.

Champagne 2017 RTS SE6
    Quantum Blue 2012 RTS-SE5 "Bluebell, Bell for short" - Traded 09/2017

Spyder Garage

Angry bad news

Well, The shop says that the tires have cupping and they are blaming me. My warranty is now void on the tires because they said that I did not check the tire pressure every day. I just bought them a few months ago and now they want me to buy new ones. Mad doesn't even describe what I am feeling right now.
    AlphaJoe
    2014 ST-S - Congnac
    LidLock helmet locks

Spyder Garage

Since it's been less than 1K miles, I say the shop is full of it. And if you had run the tires with uneven pressures or both way out of whack for an extended time, I'd think you would have sensed an issue long before you did. Just my thoughts and I know you can't PROVE they're wrong, your word against theirs. Anybody disagree with my non-expert reasoning?

Spyder Garage

Well, The shop says that the tires have cupping and they are blaming me. My warranty is now void on the tires because they said that I did not check the tire pressure every day. I just bought them a few months ago and now they want me to buy new ones. Mad doesn't even describe what I am feeling right now.
    That's not good news at all, Joe. Since you have to change them anyway, it might be time to move to a "real" tyre that won't fall apart if you look at it sideways. (Or don't check its pressure EVERY day ! )

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Default CUPPING OF TIRES

...I haven't heard of " under inflation " being a cause of " cupping " on tires ..... crappy construction and or a defect yes ......... jmho ..... What say you Peter ???? .... Mike

Spyder Garage

My thoughts?? Defective tires, really good chance! Defective or damaged suspension, less of a good chance but still a significant chance! Under inflated tires - Errrm, not likely!!!

Certainly not likely on the front end of a Spyder where the load imposed on any one tire is hardly going to get into 3 figures of pounds..... well maybe a few hundred #'s, but not much more!! Even a crappy push bike tire can handle a few hundred #'s of load without needing massively high pressures & not causing vibrations or tread wear; and besides, there is AMPLE EVIDENCE that Kenda tires are prone to significant construction defects that lead to this sort of problem, I doubt that any court in your land or mine would consider much beyond the blindingly obvious 'smoking gun in the trunk of the bloody great elephant in the room' of it being a Kenda tire in order to decide that a defective tire was the most likely cause of your issues!!

Any chance we can see a pic of this 'cupping or tread wear' they claim is caused by running low pressures (wot?! Lower than the pressures BRP recomends up front?!?) & that it's that giving you/causing the vibration issues you are experiencing??!? I'd really like to see that wear?!?
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Hi. from Canada.

We do also have a "wobble problem" with our 2012 RTS and when it does happen we have to reduce the speed this way the wheel stop to shake. Bought it "used" 2 months ago and did get 6 big wobbles since we did buy it. The dealer verify balancing/alignement and found out alignement was not right and create bad wear and tear on the tire so alignement is ok now but damage was done to the tire so even with good alignement our Spyder still wobble between 60 kl and 80 kl . Next step I guest would be to change tire.

Hello again,

Thanks,
    Last edited by DcD; 08-18-2017 at 09:49 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default Vibrations or Wobble

Quote Originally Posted by DcD View Post
    We do also have a "wobble problem" with our 2012 RTS and when it does happen we have to reduce the speed this way the wheel stop to shake. Bought it "used" 2 months ago and did get 6 big wobbles since we did buy it. The dealer verify balancing/alignement and found out alignement was not right and create bad wear and tear on the tire so alignement is ok now but damage was done to the tire so even with good alignement our Spyder still wobble between 60 kl and 80 kl . Next step I guest would be to change tire.
    are generally caused by an un-balanced wheel / tire .... so that is where I would look first .... If you still have Kenda's then read what Peter has to say ( and I agree with His assessment of the crapenda ).....Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 08-19-2017 at 09:32 AM.

Spyder Garage

Wound up replacing the tires. Everything is smooth as glass now. Went with Federal as opposed to the Kemda. I am still perturbed that the shop wouldn't make it right, but at least I am back on the road again.
    AlphaJoe
    2014 ST-S - Congnac
    LidLock helmet locks

Spyder Garage

Wound up replacing the tires. Everything is smooth as glass now. Went with Federal as opposed to the Kemda. I am still perturbed that the shop wouldn't make it right, but at least I am back on the road again.
    It's because they couldn't if you replace bad tires with more bad tires.
    Ed

They told me not to give up on my dreams, so I went back to sleep.

Champagne 2017 RTS SE6
    Quantum Blue 2012 RTS-SE5 "Bluebell, Bell for short" - Traded 09/2017