Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default 2016 RS sounds like it is running on one cylinder

Just came back from a 2100 mile trip and my new RS ran beautiful. However the next day I started it up and it sounded weird and drove it around the block. Sounds like it is hitting on one cylinder, fan doesn't run after I shut it off and it did before for about 10 seconds. Codes are all ok and dealer can't figure out anything. Anyone with ideas would be greatly appreciated. Peggy

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default ONE CYCLINDER

The DEALER can't figure this out ..... you have TWO problems ..... the v-twins are known to have Plug wire issues they are flimsy and fail often ..... I have some idea's how I would figure this out , but wouldn't advise them to you for safety issues ....sorry .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Hi Peggy,

Re: dealer can't figure out anything *

You might consider taking it to an independent m/c shop and see what they say.

Jerry Baumchen

* Why am I not surprised?
    'I'll never forget what's her name.'

'Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.' Dwight Eisenhower

2008 GS SE-5

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Plug wires do have problems with them, so definitely check that firdt . I have now ran into a failed injector on these engines on three different bikes, so check that next... Good luck

Spyder Garage

There are a few things that can cause the engine to run on one cylinder intermittently or all the time. As mentioned by others, a bad spark plug wire is most common. But it can be other things or a combination of things like a bad vacuum hose, bad PCV valve, bad fuel injector or a fouled Spark plug. It is a bit disturbing that your dealer 'Can't' find anything wrong unless it's running perfectly at the shop.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Finally after 10 days in the shop, they figured out that there was a cracked spark plug. Didn't show on the code apparently. Of course not covered by warranty but at least it is running. Back on the road. Thanks to everyone for suggestions. Peggy

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peggy View Post
    Finally after 10 days in the shop, they figured out that there was a cracked spark plug. Didn't show on the code apparently. Of course not covered by warranty but at least it is running. Back on the road. Thanks to everyone for suggestions. Peggy
    I've never seen a spark plug crack on its own. Usually an install issue.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

2008 GS SM5, Full Moon Silver
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc

Spyder Garage

I had a similar issue with my 2010 RT. I posted on here and no one came up with a solution to my "running on one" problem. I took it to the dealer and they could not find a problem at first.

They did some other work, and while washing the bike (a freebie--and a nice one at that), the problem surfaced.

It was a bare wire contacting the frame from time to time. Water (as in riding in the rain) exacerbated the issue. They fixed the bare wire, and all was well from that point on.

Have to agree, a cracked plug is done by the hands of the installer. Glad they found and fixed yours.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default FYI Can AM ultimate customer service

Quote Originally Posted by Peggy View Post
    Just came back from a 2100 mile trip and my new RS ran beautiful. However the next day I started it up and it sounded weird and drove it around the block. Sounds like it is hitting on one cylinder, fan doesn't run after I shut it off and it did before for about 10 seconds. Codes are all ok and dealer can't figure out anything. Anyone with ideas would be greatly appreciated. Peggy
    Here is the well kept secret answer to ALL CA Spyder service, technical, products, warranty issues etc. Just got this response today from a high level Can AM customer service representative when I asked a technical question regarding OEM drive belt vibration damper accessory when local dealer knew nothing about this product. Just give customer service a call and ask for Ms. Sandra B. The absolute ultimate advise I can pass along to Spyderlovers Forum, their phone number quoted in this response.

"Thank you for taking the time to contact BRP.

In response to your request, we suggest you contact your local BRP dealership.

Please note that in order to provide its consumers premium quality technical support, BRP ensures that its dealers are technically trained. BRP dealers have also access to a dealer dedicated technical support team to answer any and all specific technical, warranty, diagnostic and repair questions since the Engineering Departement do not get in communication with the customers.

You can provide this case # 00990191 so the dealership can look into further details of your request and concerns.

Should you have any other questions or comments, do not hesitate to reach us by replying to this email or call us at 1-888-272-9222.

Once again, thank you for contacting BRP.

Sandra B.
    Customer Service Representative"
    2018 RT Limited Spyder , Garmin Zumo GPS, Battery tender wire harness Show Chrome brake pedal extender Oxford Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    I've never seen a spark plug crack on its own. Usually an install issue.
    My guess is the installer dropped it and decided to install it anyway.