Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Rear tire for rain

I have a 2016 RT Limited, finally convinced myself to switch to car tire on rear. Biggest concern is which is best for riding in the rain. You don't plan on riding in the rain, but it happens. Sounds like most are pretty good on dry roads. I have been reading a lot about tires recently, still not sure what will be best in the rain. I am leaning towards the Altimax RT43. Anything will probably be better than the stock Kenda. Just looking for feedback on any rear tire for rain. Thanks in advance.

Spyder Garage

I'm sure that is a great tire.

I have a Yokohama S Drive, recently installed. On my ride home from installation, I went through a major rain storm, and I could feel it cut right through the water. (Maybe it always did, but knowing it was new, I probably felt like it was working better!)

Seriously, the tire rips through water well. We've had a lot of rain in our area lately and it's been great.
    2015 RT Limited: Fox Shocks - RonJon swaybar and links - BRP Comfort Seat - BRP Triaxis handlebars - Yokohama tires (26psi fronts 28psi back) - Centramatic wheel balancers - BRP belt tensioner - BRP Short windshield - CATdelete/Spyder1 attitude exhaust - Lamonster footpegs - sintered brake pads - LED TRYCLED lights - BumpSkid

2015 RT Limited , black

Spyder Garage

I run the Michelin Premeir A/S in the 205/60R15 size and it's been the best wet tire that I have tried. Even at 24,000 miles it handled heavy rains with out an issue, but running it at 24# I hit the wear bars in the center. I how have a new one on and running it at 20# pressure. This tire was developed to be the best wet road tire, and you should go to Tire Rack and read about what they have to say about it.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default WET ROAD

IMHO these ( right now ) are the best tire in the WET ...#1.... Pirelli P4 Four Seasons Plus ( yes it's a long name )____ #2 Michelin Premier ___ #3.... General Altimax RT43 ...... Any of these will be at their BEST in you use a PSI of 18 -19 ....... they are available in 215 or 205 it doesn't make a difference.......They all will give very good tire life ..... #2 is the most expensive ...#3 the least ( at least on E-bay ) ( that's where I buy all mine now ....remember to get the FREE shipping version ................ Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by avlee1 View Post
    I have a 2016 RT Limited, finally convinced myself to switch to car tire on rear. Biggest concern is which is best for riding in the rain. You don't plan on riding in the rain, but it happens. Sounds like most are pretty good on dry roads. I have been reading a lot about tires recently, still not sure what will be best in the rain. I am leaning towards the Altimax RT43. Anything will probably be better than the stock Kenda. Just looking for feedback on any rear tire for rain. Thanks in advance.
    We had 9 of us going to Spyderfest. Rode all day in the rain. All of the bikes hydro plain except my wife's bike. I had just put the Yokohama S drive on hers. Three bikes had the ultimax tires, 1 had stock, 3 had falken tires and mine had one I had got from Walmart. Can't remember the name at present, but I did a review on it. Mine was the worst tire to turn loose. Will never run it again. Yokohama gets my vote and will be my next tire.
    David

Spyder Garage

Default IF

IF you can find one, the Michelin Hydro-edge....

Dan P
    SPYD3R

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Actually; ANY rear tire with a decent amount of tread left on it, will do the job!
    But you STILL need to slow down in the rain; NO tire will give you the same amount of traction that you had on dry roads!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default HYDRO-EDGE

Quote Originally Posted by SPYD3R View Post
    IF you can find one, the Michelin Hydro-edge....

Dan P
    SPYD3R
    I love mine also ........... However these might be very OLD now ... check the date of manufacture !!!!!.... Mike

Spyder Garage

Are you sensing a pattern here? Several good tires out there and just about anything is better than stock. I am happy with my Altimax rear and Federal front combo. I hit heavy rain in Tennessee with the stock tires and it wasn't pleasant. A few weeks ago when the panhandle of W.V. experienced flash floods we were in that mess on our Spyder with the new tire combo and it was a night and day difference as far as handling and hydroplaning was concerned.
    2015 RT , Black

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

You will hydroplane with any tire if you are going too fast

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member Fatcycledaddy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Warlock View Post
    We had 9 of us going to Spyderfest. Rode all day in the rain. All of the bikes hydro plain except my wife's bike. I had just put the Yokohama S drive on hers. Three bikes had the ultimax tires, 1 had stock, 3 had falken tires and mine had one I had got from Walmart. Can't remember the name at present, but I did a review on it. Mine was the worst tire to turn loose. Will never run it again. Yokohama gets my vote and will be my next tire.
    David
    Any idea what air pressure they were running in the ultimax tires?
    I installed that on my spyder and got caught in a couple of those Black Hills downpours and never had any hydroplaning at all.
    I did take Mike's and Peter's advice and while towing the trailer 2 up, ran it at 20 PSI. I now am back to 18 PSI running 2 up no trailer. I considered the wet traction to be VERY good.
    Last edited by Fatcycledaddy; 08-10-2017 at 03:19 PM.
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    You will hydroplane with any tire if you are going too fast
    Remembering this one simple fact, will make your life MUCH easier!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default LOWER PSI

Quote Originally Posted by Fatcycledaddy View Post
    I installed that on my spyder and got caught in a couple of those Black Hills downpours and never had any hydroplaning at all.
    I did take Mike's and Peter's advice and while towing the trailer 2 up, ran it at 20 PSI. I now am back to 18 PSI running 2 up no trailer. I considered the wet traction to be VERY good.
    Amen Brother - to a convert you have seen the Light ......... From Mike and I'm sure Peter will agree .

Spyder Garage

Default rear tire for rain

Can't go too far wrong running 18-20 psi for wet or dry traction on the rear. The fronts you can run less and still have outstanding cornering and wet traction!!!!
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

I believe around 24 to 28 lbs. I do know it was more than 20 lbs. My wife's was at 24 lbs and no problem at all.
    David

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thanks everyone for your feedback. I appreciate it. Now that I have some proven choices, I just need to decide which to go with. Thanks again

Spyder Garage

Thanks everyone for your feedback. I appreciate it. Now that I have some proven choices, I just need to decide which to go with. Thanks again

Hey maybe you guys and gals can help me out. I have a 2016 Rt with only 2000 miles on it. Since I'm new to the Spyder world, what is wrong with the stock tires. Is it wear, handling, etc. Just looking ahead at my future tire purchase.

Spyder Garage

I am running the General Altimax RT 43 on the rear ( of a 2014 RTS-SE6) Size: 215/60 R15.

I have 13,976 miles on the Altimax, no problems. This is my 2nd motorcycle season with the Altimax RT 43 . I have a lot of thread left. Total miles on spyder 19,800 miles.

Here is a performance evaluation :

Wet: Hydroplaning Performance 8.6 Traction 8.7

Dry:
    Cornering Stability 8.7

Dry Traction 9.0
    Steering Response 8.6

Comfort:
    Ride Quality 8.6
    Noise 8.3
    Tread wear 8.7

I am running it @ 26 psi, it has a "Tire monitoring system" in the tread. It will read " Replace Tire" in the middle of the tread when to replace tire.

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

Several forum members have said to run the pressure in the rear tires at 18 - 20 PSI. The book calls for 26. I run General Altimax 43 T 215/60 R 15 on the rear at 26 PSI. So, I'm wondering what the performance and tire mileage longevity is at the lower pressure.

I run 19 - 20 front on Continental Contipro Contact 175/55 R 15. They have a special highway glue which exudes a sticky substance that hangs on tight in the curves. Well.. you'd think so. I have 28K miles on all three tires.

However, next change gets narrower tires. Those 175's almost overfill the wheel well. A tire dealership installed the front and Can Am dealer installed the rear, no issue but lightened my wallet by $200 or so.. After my trip to Valcourt, I'm looking to replace the rear with Pirelli P4 or whatever the suggestion above was. There may be something to say for 20- PSI in the rear. I parked my Spyder facing into the garage as opposed to always backing in (for a quick get away) and noted in the bright sunlight that the wear on the tire was more than I had expected. Time to change soon.

On that overly long Canada ride, the tires performed well. As those who went know, it was rainy rainy rainy, for me 13 of 16 days in the rain.

So, a definitive answer. 26 or 20 in the rear tire.

Spyder Garage

ricford, the book calls for 26 psi in the lightly constructed poor quality OE Spec Kendas, the lower pressure recommendation is for if you run a much stronger construction better quality tire, ie, just about any car tire!!

With 26 psi in them, car tires are capable of carrying a couple of thousand pounds or more of car, the Kendas are barely capable of carrying a couple of hundred pounds of Spyder even with 26 or 28 psi in them - and it's the flex in the sidewall that allows the tire tread compound to heat up sufficiently to provide the optimum traction, ride, & handling, etc from the tire. Run a car tire at 26 psi under a Spyder and you WON'T be getting the best ride, traction (neither in the dry & especially not in the wet!) or handling that you could from that tire, certainly not the much higher level you'd get by running it a tad lower, at a pressure more suitable for the fairly lightweight load your Spyder imposes upon the much stronger & 'capable of carrying much more' car tire!

Re that Definitive Answer.... 16-22psi in a 'normal' car tire capable of carrying so much more, adjust to suit your load/ambient temps etc; but when it comes to the Kendas BRP specs for our Spyders, they NEED the 26+psi just to keep the metal bits off the ground, & even so, they might not do that too well anyway!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-12-2017 at 06:56 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Default LOWER TIRE - PSI FOR SPYDERS

Quote Originally Posted by ricford View Post
    Several forum members have said to run the pressure in the rear tires at 18 - 20 PSI. The book calls for 26. I run General Altimax 43 T 215/60 R 15 on the rear at 26 PSI. So, I'm wondering what the performance and tire mileage longevity is at the lower pressure.

I run 19 - 20 front on Continental Contipro Contact 175/55 R 15. They have a special highway glue which exudes a sticky substance that hangs on tight in the curves. Well.. you'd think so. I have 28K miles on all three tires.

However, next change gets narrower tires. Those 175's almost overfill the wheel well. A tire dealership installed the front and Can Am dealer installed the rear, no issue but lightened my wallet by $200 or so.. After my trip to Valcourt, I'm looking to replace the rear with Pirelli P4 or whatever the suggestion above was. There may be something to say for 20- PSI in the rear. I parked my Spyder facing into the garage as opposed to always backing in (for a quick get away) and noted in the bright sunlight that the wear on the tire was more than I had expected. Time to change soon.

On that overly long Canada ride, the tires performed well. As those who went know, it was rainy rainy rainy, for me 13 of 16 days in the rain.

So, a definitive answer. 26 or 20 in the rear tire.
    Myself and Peter Aawen are the strongest advocates for the lower tire pressure on Spyders .... THAT USE CAR TIRES .... Both of us have had training and schooling concerning tires - what they do & why etc ..... First what book recommends 26 psi ...and on what tire ???? .... The Altimax ( which I have recommended for a couple of years ) is going to perform at it's best at 18-19 psi.... The front tires ( any brand car type ) will work best at 14-15 psi ..... I could tell you Exactly why this is so , but it would easily be 5,000 words ...... I have one of the last Michelin Hydro -edge tires ( now on my RT ) it is possibly just a hair better than the Altimax and run it at 18 psi , I have 27,000+ mi. on it & I think 5,000+ more is very likely ..... I think the Altimax would give similar performance .... You mention the Pirelli P4 ... ( there are a few models ) I plan for this to be my next tire ..... The version I'm getting is the " Four Seasons PLUS " model ....this is the better of all the P4's ...... I think I covered it all ......Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 08-13-2017 at 08:30 AM.