Thread: Dead Battery

Spyder Garage

Default Dead Battery

Dumb me, I left the key turned on last night and now have a dead battery. Put charger on it but now the charger is blinking at me saying bad battery. This is a 2014 RT so hard to believe the battery is gone already. Is this a common problem? Can I find a battery that will fit at an auto store of is it something special Thanks for any suggestions
    American by Birth, Southern by the Grace of GOD.

The Older I get the Better I Was.

Spyder Garage

Unhappy Battery Woes

Are you using a charger or a maintainer?
    With a "dead battery" the voltage is too low and most chargers won't try to charge a battery that is below 9 volts, and no maintainer that I know of will. I'd try jumping the battery for a few minutes, this should increase the battery voltage (surface charge) so that the charger may work. Completely discharging a battery often causes a complete failure due to plate collapse in one or more cells. Sometimes a battery will suffer abuse and recover and other times it's toast. Luck of the draw. A replacement battery should be properly charged prior to installation or it will have a reduced service life also.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gator37 View Post
    Dumb me, I left the key turned on last night and now have a dead battery. Put charger on it but now the charger is blinking at me saying bad battery. This is a 2014 RT so hard to believe the battery is gone already. Is this a common problem? Can I find a battery that will fit at an auto store of is it something special Thanks for any suggestions
    I did the exact thing the other day with my 2015 RTS. I got out my battery Charger (an ARLEC 4), put it on high Charge and within 4 hours the bike battery was back to normal. Even the clock came up as the correct time.

Spyder Garage

2014... why wouldn't your battery fail. Do you think you are immune to
    battery breakdown ? Three years is good. Not exceptional, but good.
    When things started to slow down for my battery...cranking and such.
    I changed it. It was expected at about three years, and I use battery tender too.
    unsure why Spyder is "switch on" if it's parked anyway.

you can probably find a "fit" at NAPA or somewhere. And expect it to last no longer than the original.
    For a premium machine like your RT, maybe consider an AGM or some other premium battery,
    which will ALSO probably only last 3 years.
    Last edited by 4 MARIE; 08-09-2017 at 07:51 AM.
    Flatlander, Navy Veteran, Widower
    Loved my 2014 RTS SE6 Pearl white
    but have a new love now,
    my 2017 RTS SE6 Champagne metallic (Champ)

Spyder Garage

Boost it from another vehicle or booster pack. Take it for a short drive to put some charge in the battery. Then put it on a charger with a maximum of a 2.1 amp charge rate. But the lower the better. Your battery is an AGM battery and is very tolerant of a deep cycle discharge and will likely be fine.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Default Agree...

I have had my battery of 5 years down to nothing in several occasions. I simply put it on the charger and overnight it was back to full charge and doing fine. Yuasa is a very good battery and will come back from the dead. If in fact (after having it tested) your battery is toast I would get another oem battery...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The battery is run down and needs a surface charge before the charger will turn on and do its thing.

Like others have said jump start or hook up a battery and jumpers to get a surface charge on the battery them go back and hook up your charger.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default BATTERY - AND JUMP STARTING

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    The battery is run down and needs a surface charge before the charger will turn on and do its thing.

Like others have said jump start or hook up a battery and jumpers to get a surface charge on the battery them go back and hook up your charger.
    and if you jump start ..... leave the other vehicle ( the one used for jumping ) OFF , any car or truck etc has a battery that's more than capable of providing enough juice to start your Spyder...... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by noboot View Post
    within 4 hours the bike battery was back to normal. Even the clock came up as the correct time.
    Just because it started working again is NOT good evidence that it is "back to normal".
    Deep discharges like that are hard on batteries and usually shortens the useful life.

You need to keep an eye on it for a while. If you don't own a voltmeter, get one.

Replacement needs to be a completely sealed AGM type of similar size and capacity.
    It doesn't have to be an exact duplicate.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MercerLake View Post
    Are you using a charger or a maintainer?
    With a "dead battery" the voltage is too low and most chargers won't try to charge a battery that is below 9 volts, and no maintainer that I know of will. I'd try jumping the battery for a few minutes, this should increase the battery voltage (surface charge) so that the charger may work. Completely discharging a battery often causes a complete failure due to plate collapse in one or more cells. Sometimes a battery will suffer abuse and recover and other times it's toast. Luck of the draw. A replacement battery should be properly charged prior to installation or it will have a reduced service life also.
    Thanks, that is probably the problem, not enough volts to even take a charge. Have it jumped to my Highlander at the moment and it will attempt to start but not enough oomph to get a start, so gonna just leave it jumped for a few min. then put a charger on it and see what happens. Not the most convenient place to get to the battery, kind of like my Sebring that I have to take off the front wheel and some panel before getting to the battery.

And thanks to all who replied. I was trying to use the kill switch as suggested earlier on the forum and then didn't turn off the key. Will go back to using the key to turn off Spyder.
    Ken

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I was trying to use the kill switch as suggested earlier on the forum and then didn't turn off the key. Will go back to using the key to turn off Spyder.
    Ken
    I think someone mentioned exactly this danger in that thread.
    Maybe another guy named Ken ??

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks

Thanks All,

Got it up and running and took a nice little ride. Will try very hard to not do that again. Your information was just want I needed, that the book doesn't explain very well. Kind of warm for a ride, 104º, but wanted to put a little juice in the battery.

Ken

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default WEAK BATTERY

Thanks All,

Got it up and running and took a nice little ride. Will try very hard to not do that again. Your information was just want I needed, that the book doesn't explain very well. Kind of warm for a ride, 104º, but wanted to put a little juice in the battery.

Ken
    I have had similar concerns about my battery .... but am not sure it will DIE anytime soon .... Soooooo I just bought one of those Mini ( the size of 1 1/2 I-phones ) Lithium -ion battery jump starters .... in case my battery finally fails .... It was on sale $ 34.00 delivered ...... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 08-09-2017 at 10:45 PM.