Thread: Another newbie.

Spyder Garage

Default Another newbie.

I purchased my 2014 RT std on 7/27/17. I promptly rode it home for 253 miles. I certainly learned how to drive this vehicle in those miles. Today I ran it up to 12,001 miles.

One thing that I have to keep in mind is that this is not a motorcycle. It is not an automobile either. It is a quite different vehicle. We should not even be comparing the ride to these other vehicles. Now, having said that, I kind of like this experience. Viva the difference. There are many benefits. Stability, more relaxed driving, automatic downshifting (I have the SE6), great visibility (I got the wide view mirror inserts from Triclid), cool design, etc.

I am in SW Michigan and we have a lot of roads to explore. We also bought this vehicle to use as a "toad" with our Class B RV. I have a trailer to carry the Spyder behind the van and when we find a spot to explore, we get a campsite and tour the area. Haven't done that yet, but it is in the future.

I have enjoyed many, many travels on two wheels, but now I am excited to be traveling on three.

Gary

Very Active Member SteveLaoyster's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I hope it's safe to assume that you read the do's and don'ts. Glad you are enjoying the new to you ryde.
    AKA Jud Smales, Four Year Spyder Ryder!
    "Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati"

The Critter 2016 RT-S
    Cat Bypass from Lamonster
    BajaRon Sway Bar
    Hella dual horns with relay
    BRP Hitch with trailer module
    Foam Grips
    Adjustable Air Deflectors
    Driver & Passenger Gel Pads in Seat
    Shorty antenna
    Ultraguard half cover
    Gremlin bell from my son
    Break Stripe Kit from Wrap My Spyder
    2016 RT-S , stock not yet Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Default Yikes...!!

12,001 in 11 days... no sleeping for you. You really got the hang of ryding these machines Welcome to both the spyder world and this sometimes critical site. Congrats on the new ryde... and your right ... it;s not a car or a bike but somewhere inbetween and an awesome place to be....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

and on your new ride. Glad to hear you are liking it.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Me too

Quote Originally Posted by stjoeguy View Post
    I purchased my 2014 RT std on 7/27/17. I promptly rode it home for 253 miles. I certainly learned how to drive this vehicle in those miles. Today I ran it up to 12,001 miles.

One thing that I have to keep in mind is that this is not a motorcycle. It is not an automobile either. It is a quite different vehicle. We should not even be comparing the ride to these other vehicles. Now, having said that, I kind of like this experience. Viva the difference. There are many benefits. Stability, more relaxed driving, automatic downshifting (I have the SE6), great visibility (I got the wide view mirror inserts from Triclid), cool design, etc.

I am in SW Michigan and we have a lot of roads to explore. We also bought this vehicle to use as a "toad" with our Class B RV. I have a trailer to carry the Spyder behind the van and when we find a spot to explore, we get a campsite and tour the area. Haven't done that yet, but it is in the future.

I have enjoyed many, many travels on two wheels, but now I am excited to be traveling on three.

Gary
    That's what I bought my F3 for. I tow it behind my Class C, but contrary to my expectations, I use it around town more than the car now. One thing I did was to have a custom upholstery company make a towing bra for the bike. The cover scuffed the frunk paint because it wasn't tight enough.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    12,001 in 11 days... no sleeping for you. You really got the hang of ryding these machines Welcome to both the spyder world and this sometimes critical site. Congrats on the new ryde... and your right ... it;s not a car or a bike but somewhere inbetween and an awesome place to be....

Well, that was a bit misleading, wasn't it? I didn't find a 2014 model without any miles on it. I bought my bike with 11,500 miles on it. I was just trying to say that the bike has low miles for a 2014. Now at 12,001.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SteveLaoyster View Post
    I hope it's safe to assume that you read the do's and don'ts. Glad you are enjoying the new to you ryde.

Yes, the Do's and Don'ts were read on day 2. Exploration of this board was next. Immensely helpful!!!

Very Active Member Buckeye Bleau's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

If you have been paying attention to this website you should know that without a picture, IT DID NOT HAPPEN.

Congratulations, but with your enthusiasm, be warned, Bob is going to post the tooth brushing picture very soon.

Joe
    U.S. Army Viet Nam Era Vet
    2013 Spyder RT-L, Black Currant
    Trunk mount dual SS flag holder
    TricLed foam hand grips (awesome)
    Chromed Soaring Eagle License Holder
    Utopia Deluxe driver backrest
    LED fender lighting
    Fast Flash LED brake light
    Spyder Pops LED/skid plate

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Welcome to the party!!
    Which Class B do you have?
    We're in the middle of negotiations for a Class C Toyhauler...
    I've never heard the term "toad" used before to describe a car or bike behind a motorhome: would it apply to one that's tucked in the garage?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

& On the new ryde
    2010 RTSM5

2010 RTSM5 , stock Stock Silver

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Welcome to the party!!
    Which Class B do you have?
    We're in the middle of negotiations for a Class C Toyhauler...
    I've never heard the term "toad" used before to describe a car or bike behind a motorhome: would it apply to one that's tucked in the garage?
    A "toad" is a vehicle that is towed. That could either be on a trailer or with a special hitch arrangement. You see this mostly with the large class A motorhomes. My class B is a Sprinter van that is converted by a Canadian company called Pleasure-Way.

I like the simplicity of the Class B. My brother in law has a 5th Wheel toy hauler and puts his Harley inside. Watching him recently with the machinations of unloading and loading with that rig allowed me to be quite happy with my setup. One of his issues was that his site wasn't big enough to allow the unloading without moving the 5th Wheel. He has automatic levelers, but it was still very time consuming. Of course, his payback is a lot of comfort for his family - 3 kids. Traveling in a Class B is best done with a couple - 2 people.
    Last edited by stjoeguy; 08-09-2017 at 04:14 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default Picture

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye Bleau View Post
    If you have been paying attention to this website you should know that without a picture, IT DID NOT HAPPEN.

Congratulations, but with your enthusiasm, be warned, Bob is going to post the tooth brushing picture very soon.

Joe
    I can't seem to figure out how to rotate the pictures. IMG_1284.jpg Before mods.
    Attached Images Attached Images