Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default best oil for 2011 spyder rss sm5

Hi everyone, Was wondering if anyone has any info on best oil for my bike other than Can-am oil (XPS). Has anyone used Motul, Mobil-1, Castrol, Rotella, there are so many good oils out there it is hard to believe that can-am oil is the best. I read that there oil was originally made by Castrol but not any more. They don't even give you there weight on their web site, you have to go and look up their safety data sheet.My bike has wet clutch and some of the people were saying that you can't use full synthetic you have to use a synthetic blend. I also rote an e-mail to rotax to see what they recommend. Any feed back would be appreciated.
    Thanks in advance
    POP

Spyder Garage

Default Your choice....

They are all good. Many here use Amsoil they get from BajaRon or locally. As long as they meet the factory specs you are good to go. Choose the brand you like the best. I used to use Castrol but I now use the XPS blend and have had no problems.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

If you use a motorcycle oil that meets the API service specifications listed on pg. 94 of your operator's guide you aren't going to go wrong. You can search this site and find a gazillion opinions and preferences for one or more specific products.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

In a very real practical sense, there is no "best".
    Any name brand synthetic oil that is near to the recommended weight will be fine.
    But it must be approved and labeled for motorcycle use.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I use Canola oil: it make my Fries taste better!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Some say not to use Synthetic oil WHY???

Why do some people say don't use synthetic oil, only use semi-synthetic??? Even my local dealers parts person stated this! The owners manual for my 2012 RSS says...

Use XPS 4-STROKE BLEND OIL (SUMMERGRADE) (P/N 293 600 121) or a 5W 40semi-synthetic (minimum) or synthetic motorcycleoil meeting the requirements for API serviceSL, SJ, SH or SG classification

So why is there so much confusion on this??? It CLEARY states semi-synthetic (MINIMUM) or synthetic.

So I would love someone to explain why this "ONLY use semi-synthetic oil" rumor would be true

Spyder Garage

No comment. RTFM (old airline term)

​Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JAS POWER View Post
    Why do some people say don't use synthetic oil, only use semi-synthetic??? Even my local dealers parts person stated this! The owners manual for my 2012 RSS says...

Use XPS 4-STROKE BLEND OIL (SUMMERGRADE) (P/N 293 600 121) or a 5W 40semi-synthetic (minimum) or synthetic motorcycleoil meeting the requirements for API serviceSL, SJ, SH or SG classification

So why is there so much confusion on this??? It CLEARY states semi-synthetic (MINIMUM) or synthetic.

So I would love someone to explain why this "ONLY use semi-synthetic oil" rumor would be true
    Believe me. It can be explained until you're blue in the face and it won't change very many minds. Oil is one of those things where the less someone knows about it, the more sure they are of their opinion. It is an enigma that has yet to be solved.

The fact is, nearly all engines are better off with fully synthetic oil (Including the Spyder motors) than they are with a blended oil (which is usually 80%-90% mineral oil and 10%-20% synthetic oil). They may not NEED a fully synthetic oil as a blended oil may be adequate for most situations. But the fully synthetic oil will always do a better job of lubrication for a longer period of time.

All you have to do to prove this is to run the BRP blend and get it tested. Then run the fully synthetic the same way and get it tested. But virtually no one does this. That is why the rumors are so persistent.

Early on I started selling NGK Iridium spark plugs for the Spyder. BRP came out and said that these spark plugs were detrimental to the 998 engine. Even though myself and others had tested and confirmed that they did indeed improve throttle response, power and slight increase in fuel mileage.

Then, a few years later, guess what. 998 Spyders started coming from the factory with NGK Iridium spark plugs. How about that! I used to get all kinds of feedback saying; 'If the engineers thought Iridium spark plugs were superior, the Spyder would come from the factory with them'. I don't get that anymore....

There are rumors about Amsoil, non BRP tires and who knows what else. You just have to do your homework. Or go with the rumors.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 11-18-2017 at 06:10 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...