Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Can you get a passenger to ride with you and take a picture of the symbol?

2015 Spyder RT-S
    2008 Honda Goldwing
    2004 Yamaha V-Star 1100 Classic

Registered Users payotee cyotee's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Smile New update

Hello again fellow Spyder riders. I have an update on the problem and some additional info about how the dealer visit went.
    Remember I said I had called two dealers and the BRP HQ in Canada and tried to get answers to the caution symbols showing up in the trip meter slot. Well, I never did get an answer from anyone of the three. Also, BRP said to tell the dealer what the problem was and them ask them to call the Tech dept here at BRP. When the dealer does that they will issue a ticket number and have the information back to the dealer on what all the symbols mean that show in the trip meter slot. So, last week I called the dealer where I was taking the 2017 F-3T limited to and did exactly what BRP Hq asked me to do. I told the service depart manger to please call BRP Tech support and get an answer from them before I got there yesterday. Well-----the first thing I did was ask the Service Manager what they had to say at BRP and was told they did not call them! "Say what", says I. Answer was they didn't want to bother the mechanic with such things ahead of time and waited until I got there. Needles to say I was not a happy Spyder person at this point!

Service manager said they'd pull up the fault codes and see what they said. I told them "I told you no fault codes are showing up but go right ahead and please prove me wrong". Guess what, no fault codes. They then proceeded to try on figure out why I had no Fog lights, no horn, no heated grips and no USB power in the trunk. 4 hours later and three mechanics trying to solve the problem they found water in my fog lamp housing and connection plug. How it got there and why the housing leaked no one knows. I do not wash it with pressure and furthermore my house would not have squirted into that protected area. And NO, I have not ridden the the rain and the bike is kept in a garage. So after 7 hours they finally were able to keep fuses from blowing and all power was returned to all the a fore mentioned items. My ride home of 75 miles was uneventful and no more warnings popping up. There was more to my horror story but I will not bore you.

So I'm sorry to say that the mystery of what those warning triangles meant has not been solved. I think that's its rather sad and I do not understand why, when I had BRP Hq on the phone they did not help with the answer. I think BRP owes all of us an answer to this question and should publish a list of all warning symbols that show up in the trip meter slot. It should be considered a safety issue by BRP.

One last item to mention. It was obvious that when the dealer installed the fog lamps before delivery the mechanic did not bother to put dielectric grease on the connections. Most service departments always apply dielectric grease on all electrical connection they install. Since water in the fog lamp connection or housing can cause a major failure of several accessories I would suggest yo check and see if you need to apply a dab on your fog lamp connections. Also, all those items, fog lamps, heated grips and passenger grab rails, USB ports in the rear trunk, and horn are connected to the "Shed" fuse which will be blown. You will find that by pulling the front trunk pan and looking in the left hand fuse box as your facing the front of the Spyder. That is quite a load they put on one fuse.

Thanks again for all your help trying to resolve this issue and maybe one day BRP will get more concerned about a safety issue when its brought to their attention by owner.
    Last edited by payotee cyotee; 08-18-2017 at 03:37 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by payotee cyotee View Post
    Hello again fellow Spyder riders. I have an update on the problem and some additional info about how the dealer visit went.
    Remember I said I had called two dealers and the BRP HQ in Canada and tried to get answers to the caution symbols showing up in the trip meter slot. Well, I never did get an answer from anyone of the three. Also, BRP said to tell the dealer what the problem was and them ask them to call the Tech dept here at BRP. When the dealer does that they will issue a ticket number and have the information back to the dealer on what all the symbols mean that show in the trip meter slot. So, last week I called the dealer where I was taking the 2017 F-3T limited to and did exactly what BRP Hq asked me to do. I told the service depart manger to please call BRP Tech support and get an answer from them before I got there yesterday. Well-----the first thing I did was ask the Service Manager what they had to say at BRP and was told they did not call them! "Say what", says I. Answer was they didn't want to bother the mechanic with such things ahead of time and waited until I got there. Needles to say I was not a happy Spyder person at this point!

Service manager said they'd pull up the fault codes and see what they said. I told them "I told you no fault codes are showing up but go right ahead and please prove me wrong". Guess what, no fault codes. They then proceeded to try on figure out why I had no Fog lights, no horn, no heated grips and no USB power in the trunk. 4 hours later and three mechanics trying to solve the problem they found water in my fog lamp housing and connection plug. How it got there and why the housing leaked no one knows. I do not wash it with pressure and furthermore my house would not have squirted into that protected area. And NO, I have not ridden the the rain and the bike is kept in a garage. So after 7 hours they finally were able to keep fuses from blowing and all power was returned to all the a fore mentioned items. My ride home of 75 miles was uneventful and no more warnings popping up. There was more to my horror story but I will not bore you.

So I'm sorry to say that the mystery of what those warning triangles meant has not been solved. I think that's its rather sad and I do not understand why, when I had BRP Hq on the phone they did not help with the answer. I think BRP owes all of us an answer to this question and should publish a list of all warning symbols that show up in the trip meter slot. It should be considered a safety issue by BRP.

One last item to mention. It was obvious that when the dealer installed the fog lamps before delivery the mechanic did not bother to put dielectric grease on the connections. Most service departments always apply dielectric grease on all electrical connection they install. Since water in the fog lamp connection or housing can cause a major failure of several accessories I would suggest yo check and see if you need to apply a dab on your fog lamp connections. Also, all those items, fog lamps, heated grips and passenger grab rails, USB ports in the rear trunk, and horn are connected to the "Shed" fuse which will be blown. You will find that by pulling the front trunk pan and looking in the left hand fuse box as your facing the front of the Spyder. That is quite a load they put on one fuse.

Thanks again for all your help trying to resolve this issue and maybe one day BRP will get more concerned about a safety issue when its brought to their attention by owner.
    I truly appreciate your taking the time to come back and let us know the saga of the yellow triangle. It amazes me that BRP and the dealer just brushed it off as "we got a live one" here.

I think your credibility is right on. Let's hope that the water in the switch was the problem and that this situation will not come back to haunt you.

This is one of the on-going things that we hear about BRP and dealers concerning customer service. I am going to stick my neck out as "Consumer Advocate" and say some things still need work.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red