Spyder Garage

Default Newbie comments and question - Motor Noises

I am a new rider having purchased my 2014 RT Std last week. I wanted to check on a constant whiny noise coming from the motor. It is on constantly and not related to the transmission as it starts as soon as I start it up. Most likely a noisy fuel pump or something similar. Do you all hear that noise? Is it normal? Do I need to get Lamonster's exhaust?

The bike has 12,000 miles on it now that I have driven it 300 miles. I can't think of any other issues.

I did add some electronics stuff - GPS and phone charging circuits. I also added the BRP fog light kit. I had a little trouble with a DESS light coming on and the start button would not work. By accident I found out how to get around it. Maybe you know this. What I did was hold down the key like I was going to open the seat or frunk lock and hit the starter while the key was depressed. The bike started right up and after I found my electrical issue (my bad), all has been well since.

I signed up for Spyder Quest in NY next month. I hope to learn a bunch then.

By the way, I was reluctant to give up on 40 years of 2 wheel riding especially after reading some negative comments in reviews. However, the transition is no problem. Just pay attention. It isn't hard. One thing became apparent real fast. Hitting manhole covers with the rear wheel is not fun. I think I am better off hitting them with a front wheel if I can't get my line to miss all three wheels.

Having fun! Just one question about engine noise that could ease my mind.

Thanks!

Gary

Spyder Garage

Default Probably fuel pump.

Raise the seat, start the bike. See if it's coming from the tank. They are prone to fuel pump noises.
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

Default Agree...

..he should know..!! but there were some issues on the first ones with a noisy fuel pump. Many had them replaced if it is that check with your dealer...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Mine has a whiney fuel pump but I know what it is and can't hear it with ear plugs. Been doing it for almost 28K.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Just brought my '17 RT home today.
    Thought I noticed a little whine noise a couple of times but I certainly won't be worrying about it.
    Every "bike" has it's own characteristic noises.
    Most metric bikes have a whine in the transmission, noticeable as you engage the clutch.

I got mine to enjoy riding, not to fret over every little noise that I hear.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stjoeguy View Post
    I am a new rider having purchased my 2014 RT Std last week. I wanted to check on a constant whiny noise coming from the motor. It is on constantly and not related to the transmission as it starts as soon as I start it up. Most likely a noisy fuel pump or something similar. Do you all hear that noise? Is it normal? Do I need to get Lamonster's exhaust? The bike has 12,000 miles on it now that I have driven it 300 miles. I can't think of any other issues. Gary
    I was concerned too about that noise when I first got my Spyder. Dealer said it was a normal fuel pump noise and it turns out he was right. I don't even notice it any more.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stjoeguy View Post
    I am a new rider having purchased my 2014 RT Std last week. I wanted to check on a constant whiny noise coming from the motor. It is on constantly and not related to the transmission as it starts as soon as I start it up. Most likely a noisy fuel pump or something similar. Do you all hear that noise? Is it normal? Do I need to get Lamonster's exhaust?

The bike has 12,000 miles on it now that I have driven it 300 miles. I can't think of any other issues.

I did add some electronics stuff - GPS and phone charging circuits. I also added the BRP fog light kit. I had a little trouble with a DESS light coming on and the start button would not work. By accident I found out how to get around it. Maybe you know this. What I did was hold down the key like I was going to open the seat or frunk lock and hit the starter while the key was depressed. The bike started right up and after I found my electrical issue (my bad), all has been well since.

I signed up for Spyder Quest in NY next month. I hope to learn a bunch then.

By the way, I was reluctant to give up on 40 years of 2 wheel riding especially after reading some negative comments in reviews. However, the transition is no problem. Just pay attention. It isn't hard. One thing became apparent real fast. Hitting manhole covers with the rear wheel is not fun. I think I am better off hitting them with a front wheel if I can't get my line to miss all three wheels.

Having fun! Just one question about engine noise that could ease my mind.

Thanks!

Gary
    My 14 has done it since day one. It’s the fuel pump. Asked two different dealers about it, they said it was normal. Only hear it at idle, I don’t even notice it anymore. Just turned 15,000.