Spyder Garage

Default Can you answer me this please ??

2015 RT-L

I replaced the 3 original stock OEM kenda's at 6,000 miles --- they were toast !! past the wear bars on all 3.

My dealer replaced the tires :-
    Rear -- Kumho Ectsta in the stock size.

Fronts -- Kenda's in stock size (dealer would only use Kenda's and I was short on time to order my preferred brand)

Then came a 3 week trip where we put 6,000 + miles on the new tires.

I looked at the tires this morning and the fronts are looking almost new !!

Why were the original Kenda's toast after 6k and the replacement front Kenda's still look like they can go another 6k ??

Is Kenda making a better product now or are the originals a cheap BRP placement ? --- to save on cost maybe ?

Don't get me wrong -- this isn't a complaint

Spyder Garage

There were softer rubber compounds on the rear tires of the new 2014's. Many got only 6K miles or so on them. BRP went back to the "other" compound and most got the usual 15K on rear tires and 20K or so on the fronts after that.

Why all three burned out at 6K on your 15 is a mystery to me. Will have to watch this one.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

This IS an interesting question...
    I got over 18,000 miles out of the OEM front Kenda tires; the rear was shot at 5,700 miles.
    They were playing around with the tread compounds back then: you might have gotten a softer set up front also?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default TIRE WEAR THEORY

Even tho I totally dis-like Kenda's ..... I will admit that when used on the front can get decent mileage ( not as good as car tires, but good enough )...... The only way this will occur is a near perfect front alignment .... if your alignment is off they will wear early, sometimes very early..... I can't account for your tires tho..... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 08-04-2017 at 07:06 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That is weird since your Spyder is a 15 and they quit using the soft compound around June of 14. Too bad you don't have the original tires so you could check the born on date on them.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default Probably same reason my Honda had bad tires when new too

Quote Originally Posted by HayRog View Post
    2015 RT-L

I replaced the 3 original stock OEM kenda's at 6,000 miles --- they were toast !! past the wear bars on all 3.

My dealer replaced the tires :-
    Rear -- Kumho Ectsta in the stock size.

Fronts -- Kenda's in stock size (dealer would only use Kenda's and I was short on time to order my preferred brand)

Then came a 3 week trip where we put 6,000 + miles on the new tires.

I looked at the tires this morning and the fronts are looking almost new !!

Why were the original Kenda's toast after 6k and the replacement front Kenda's still look like they can go another 6k ??

Is Kenda making a better product now or are the originals a cheap BRP placement ? --- to save on cost maybe ?

Don't get me wrong -- this isn't a complaint

You know, I bought in 2011 a new Honda Civic. Those tires only lasted me about 40K miles. On a new car no less! Sheesh! Since then my tire wear has been far greater. I believe it's their way of cutting costs on new units. Sad if that is true though. Especially for what we all pay for these vehicles.
    2015 RT-Limited SE6-TricLED Fender LED's (Red and Amber), 3rd LED Brake Light/Tail Light, ISCI Handbrake with black small hands handle,Spyderpops Rock Guard. ,Can-Am Adjustable Wing Vents, Bumpskid, Bajaron's Sway-Bar with metal Heim Joints. Elkas Stage 2 Plus., TricLED Wide-VU Mirrors, TricLED Jumper Port, Laser Aligned!

Spyder Garage

Default Gotta say...

There must be more to the problem on your tires...pre compound change on my RS aggressive ryding I got 33,000 on the fronts and 19,000 on the rear. My RS is manual. I got the same miles on the second rear which was after the change back to original compound. I am currently on a Arachnid rear ...I find the model and type you ryde the roads you ryde on your location and the weather have a lot to do with tire wear....

20160324_085157.jpg this is my kenda when it hit the wear bar....still gripped the corners well....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I know it may be hard to admit, but you know you were in that honeymoon stage on that first set of tires. Twisting that throttle and leaning into those curves and turns was exhilerating.

Now, you've slipped into chill mode and that rubber just tends to hang on longer.
    HAND'S UP:
    The only sure way of getting rid of bad habits is to create good ones.
    AND, by the way, this will not happen on auto pilot.

It's time for a YOU-turn!!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderHands View Post
    I know it may be hard to admit, but you know you were in that honeymoon stage on that first set of tires. Twisting that throttle and leaning into those curves and turns was exhilerating.

Now, you've slipped into chill mode and that rubber just tends to hang on longer.
    You really may have a point there .... hmmmm..

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    That is weird since your Spyder is a 15 and they quit using the soft compound around June of 14. Too bad you don't have the original tires so you could check the born on date on them.
    Something I never thought to do - duh. I should ride down to Vegas for a squared away one day. Even though the dealer said the alignment was good.

Spyder Garage

Default 2016 F-3

I have about 5300 on my stock rear and it is down to the wear bars. Might get another 1000 out of her but I doubt it.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by acpd22 View Post
    I have about 5300 on my stock rear and it is down to the wear bars. Might get another 1000 out of her but I doubt it.
    Aaahh -- another hooligan who can't control his right wrist

It is a pity these oem tires are so crappy

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by acpd22 View Post
    Be SURE you know the difference between wear bars and hydroplane-breaker bars.

My rear OEM Kenda gave me 17,000 miles. The fronts look to be only half-gone now at 37,800 miles.
    NEW - 2015 RT Limited SE6 Intense Red Pearl - 07/21/15
    Retained the old mirrors with TricLed Signals
    General Altimax RT43 rear tire (at...17,000 miles) Ran for 36,500 miles
    Michelin Defender.......rear tire (at...53,500 miles) Ran for 60,700 miles
    Riken Raptor HR.........rear tire (at 114,200 miles)
    Vredestein Quatrac 5 front tires (at 70,500 miles, first new fronts!)
    Gear Brake Decelerometer Module

OLD - 2012 RT Limited SE5 Pearl White - 01/31/13 - Traded in at 32,600 miles.
    BajaRon Anti-sway Bar
    Kumho ECSTA AST rear tire (at 14,200 miles)
    TricLed Turn Signals in Mirrors
    2015 Limited , Intense Red Pearl

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default ALIGNMENT

Quote Originally Posted by HayRog View Post
    Something I never thought to do - duh. I should ride down to Vegas for a squared away one day. Even though the dealer said the alignment was good.
    - Unless your dealer uses the Rolo - Trutrac system ( like squared-away ) .... The BRP system has been found to be less than accurate ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Default Photo of breaker bars and wear bars.

Quote Originally Posted by missouriboy View Post

My rear OEM Kenda gave me 17,000 miles. The fronts look to be only half-gone now at 37,800 miles.
    Gotta photo, never heard of hydroplane breaker bars?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by missouriboy View Post
    . I made this mistake because this is my first Spyder. The wear bars are located by looking for the triangles on the side of the rear tire that "point" to the wear bars that should be watched. Based on info here, the center of the rear tire wears faster than the outsides.
    Mike
    2021 Marsala Red Metallic RT Limited

Spyder Garage

Not sure about motorcycle tires but OEM tires are different than replacement/aftermarket tires of the same make and model.

OEM tires are designed to meet certain specific targets required by the car maker for that car, such as wet and dry handling, noise, ride comfort, etc. Aftermarket tires are more generalized for multiple car application and can even have a different compound that also affects mileage, wear, noise, etc.

If this is the case with Kenda tires, that might explain some of the difference between original and replacement tires.

Just a thought.