Spyder Garage

Default 4 to 5 wire converter

I am trying to wire my F3 T to a dart trailer that has a 5 wire plug (true 5 wire) I have been told that I need a 4 to 5 wire converter... Is a 4 to 5 wire converter different than a 5 wire to 4 wire converter ? I can get the 5 wire to 4 wire converter locally but I don't know if that is what I need. I don't want to go cutting wires until I am sure I am doing the right thing. Any help would be awesome !! thanks

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default 4 to 5 vs .5 to 4

Quote Originally Posted by cobraswinger View Post
    I am trying to wire my F3 T to a dart trailer that has a 5 wire plug (true 5 wire) I have been told that I need a 4 to 5 wire converter... Is a 4 to 5 wire converter different than a 5 wire to 4 wire converter ? I can get the 5 wire to 4 wire converter locally but I don't know if that is what I need. I don't want to go cutting wires until I am sure I am doing the right thing. Any help would be awesome !! thanks
    The difference is , it's exactly the opposite ..... Your Spyder has 4 wires the converter ---converts that to the 5 wire trailer system ....The 5 to 4 system starts with 5 wires at the Spyder and steps it down to 4 wires at the trailer ...... The changes occur in the wiring board in the Converter ......... hope this makes it understandable ... Mike

Spyder Garage

Default So Mike

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    The difference is , it's exactly the opposite ..... Your Spyder has 4 wires the converter ---converts that to the 5 wire trailer system ....The 5 to 4 system starts with 5 wires at the Spyder and steps it down to 4 wires at the trailer ...... The changes occur in the wiring board in the Converter ......... hope this makes it understandable ... Mike

I need a 4 to 5 converter correct ??? sorry to sound thick :-)

Spyder Garage

If you already have a 5 wire trailer why convert it? You can bring 5 wires out of the Spyder.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member SteveLaoyster's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    If you already have a 5 wire trailer why convert it? You can bring 5 wires out of the Spyder.
    Yup, . Spyders have a 5 wire system on board already. The module that BRP supplys is a 5 wire to 4 wire converter with separate power that isolates the trailer. That way if there is a wiring problem in the trailer only one fuse gets blown, the power for the converter. If you wire the trailer direct to the spyder wiring there is a possibility of causing problems with the turn signal circuit call hyper flash. And if you end up with wiring problems in the trailer then you loose lights on both the trailer & spyder. You'll want to make sure you use a converter/isolater with a separate fused power source.
    AKA Jud Smales, Four Year Spyder Ryder!
    "Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati"

The Critter 2016 RT-S
    Cat Bypass from Lamonster
    BajaRon Sway Bar
    Hella dual horns with relay
    BRP Hitch with trailer module
    Foam Grips
    Adjustable Air Deflectors
    Driver & Passenger Gel Pads in Seat
    Shorty antenna
    Ultraguard half cover
    Gremlin bell from my son
    Break Stripe Kit from Wrap My Spyder
    2016 RT-S , stock not yet Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Only need an isolator, no converter is needed because you have a 5 wire system on the bike and a 5 wire system on the trailer.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

Spyder Garage

Default 4 wire plug

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    I don't want to convert the trailer. The spyder has a 4 wire plug

Very Active Member SteveLaoyster's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Here is a schematic of the input and output of the trailer module sold by BRP. The red arrow indicates the separate power input that comes from it's own fuse.

Capture.jpg

Notice the 5 wire input and 4 wire output.
    AKA Jud Smales, Four Year Spyder Ryder!
    "Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati"

The Critter 2016 RT-S
    Cat Bypass from Lamonster
    BajaRon Sway Bar
    Hella dual horns with relay
    BRP Hitch with trailer module
    Foam Grips
    Adjustable Air Deflectors
    Driver & Passenger Gel Pads in Seat
    Shorty antenna
    Ultraguard half cover
    Gremlin bell from my son
    Break Stripe Kit from Wrap My Spyder
    2016 RT-S , stock not yet Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Default My plug has 4 wires

Quote Originally Posted by SteveLaoyster View Post
    Here is a schematic of the input and output of the trailer module sold by BRP. The red arrow indicates the separate power input that comes from it's own fuse.

Capture.jpg

Notice the 5 wire input and 4 wire output.
    I have a few t
    I got the main 10 wire plug shaped like a T the isolator plugs into that, I got the BRP trailer wire that plugs into the isolator and into the can am trailer. The end is black, square and 4 iwire. My trailer is 5 wires. What am I missing here. Remember i have a F3 T

Spyder Garage

I think what we are missing here is that somewhere there is a converter installed that is taking your 5 wire Spyder to a 4 wire plug you can't use. You will have to trace it back until you find that converter under your body work and remove it. Then you can come out with the proper 5 wires and 5 position plug. I don't know where that converter will be, but I would just follow the wires back until I found it. Now as to isolators, Maybe I have just been lucky but I have pulled trailers since the late 1980's with no isolator and never had a problem,but if you are worried put in an isolator.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

Spyder Garage

Electrical Connection is a site vendor.
    I have used their products on a number of installs.
    They have the 5 wire isolator to connect to your 5 wire trailer connector.

2015 Red Pearl RT-S
    EXO2 heated Vest/Gloves
    BAJARONS sway bar
    TricLEDS side markers
    Xenon Depot LED Head & Fog Lights\
    Missing Belt Guard
    Bump Skid
    M2 Shocks front/rear
    Russel Day Long heated seat

Spyder Garage

Default Help me

Quote Originally Posted by SteveLaoyster View Post
    Yup, . Spyders have a 5 wire system on board already. The module that BRP supplys is a 5 wire to 4 wire converter with separate power that isolates the trailer. That way if there is a wiring problem in the trailer only one fuse gets blown, the power for the converter. If you wire the trailer direct to the spyder wiring there is a possibility of causing problems with the turn signal circuit call hyper flash. And if you end up with wiring problems in the trailer then you loose lights on both the trailer & spyder. You'll want to make sure you use a converter/isolater with a separate fused power source.

Steve, so not totally understanding what I needed to do I took all of my wiring harness's modules and trailer wire to a local trailer shop. I put it all together and told the guy that this is what I want to do. He sold me a converter with 2 wires on the input and 3 wires on the output. I hooked the yellow to yellow, the green to green and the red wire to my blue wire for the brakes. The lights all came on, got excited, turned the turn signals on got more excited and then hit the brakes and the amber turn signals lit up.. I talked to a Spyder shop today and they said that what I bought isn't what I want because the can am module already took the brake and turn signals and combined them like a normal trailer. The spyder shop "Thinks" I can bypass that can am module. . I don't want this to be a guess and hope. Can I do this and if so what do I need for a converter/ isolator ??
    Thank you !!