Spyder Garage

Default Need to keep the Lady Riding

I have a 2010 RTS that I bought in April that now only has 8,000 miles on it.
    My wife loves riding with me and we absolutely love the Spyder...
    Here is my problem, the back wheel seems to act as though there is "no" shock when I hit a very large pot hole or bump in the road. It sounds like there is no tire, only a bare rim.
    i know that there is an adjustment on the panel for Soft or Hard ride. Can't really tell the difference when using one or the other. The bigger problem is that my lady gets a shooting pain up her back when this happens (maybe 2 or 3 times a 150 mile ride)....is there an adjustment or different shock that the dealer can help me with. Can't do it myself since I'm all thumps.Want to keep her riding no matter what the cost.

Wow!! Can't thank everyone enough for your advice. The Spyder Truly is unique and who would have thought that a simple thing would be the fix. Yes, I read the manual front to back when I purchased my 2010 RTS in April of this year...but much of it is liking reading Greek until you get there even though it is written in simple English.

I was riding on a rear shock with "Zero Air" in the air bag. Didn't even know about the valve under the seat. Put air through the valve and Bingo...the rear of the bike started to raise up and the ride with my lady was heaven! I'm guessing that the compressor isn't working but if the air bag holds I don't care. Will be checking pressure periodically to see if it does.

Thanks guys...YOU ROCK!

Last edited by OKey; 08-21-2017 at 11:12 AM.
    2014 RTS Limited , Matt Grey

Spyder Garage

what about upgrading to Elka shocks and looking into a different seat setup?

Spyder Garage

If is that hard I wonder if your air compressor or air bag has failed...
    2017 Can Am Commander Limited
    2012 Cadillac CTS-V Black Diamond
    2020 F3 Limited Magma Red (miss the 2011 Viper red)
    2010 RT622 - Black

Spyder Garage

Default Need to keep the Lady Riding

I know EXACTLY what you're talking about! I've got a 2012 rt and my fiance complains about the same thing! It doesn't feel as bad to me as it does to her but the clank of what sounds like metal to metal bugs me to no end! Bringing it in to the dealer Saturday AM. I bought it used & it only has like 8200 miles on it. I'll let you know what they find and what kind of money it's going to cost me! The kicker is I just had the rear tire replaced and the tech never mentioned anything about it!

Spyder Garage

It sounds like you have no air in the air bag. If it has the air compressor type then chances are the air compressor has failed which is common. This happened on both mine and my riding buddys, 2012 RTLs . Mine would bottom out the same as yours. There is a shrade valve under the seat which you can air up to 60 to 80 lbs.
    If it does not hold air it is leaking back through the bad compressor. Replacing the compressor at the dealer is very expensive.We just run a air line [about .30 cents worth] from the shrade valve direct to the air bag and the problem was solved, as long as your air bag in good which it should be. You then check it like you check your tires, but we only have to adjust the air about once a year. Good luck , let us know how it turns out
    Roger
    2012 RT Limited
    Vertika Floor boards
    Painted rear fender & dash
    Carbon fiber panels
    Utopia back rest
    Baker air wings
    Elka shocks and relocaters
    CB radio
    ISO hand grips
    Tric LED fender light
    Turn signal lights in mirrors

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You could have suffered a failure in the rear suspension. (Specifically: the shock...)
    Can you put a pressure gauge on the schraeder valve that's under the seat?
    (One that reads to about 100 psi...)
    Let us know what you find!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    You could have suffered a failure in the rear suspension. (Specifically: the shock...) Can you put a pressure gauge on the schraeder valve that's under the seat? (One that reads to about 100 psi...) Let us know what you find!
    That's what it sounds like to me.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Another vote for bad airbag.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Take your Spyder for a ride and set the ACS suspension on firmest setting. Ride home and then check the air bag pressure at the Schrader valve under the seat; record pressure. Check the pressure again a couple hours later and compare. If you have no air pressure on first check, compressor and/or air bag may be shot. If you have air bag pressure on first check and significantly less or none on second check you have a bad air bag.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Default Rear shock problem solved

Wow!! Can't thank everyone enough for your advice. The Spyder Truly is unique and who would have thought that a simple thing would be the fix. Yes, I read the manual front to back when I purchased my 2010 RTS in April of this year...but much of it is liking reading Greek until you get there even though it is written in simple English.

I was riding on a rear shock with "Zero Air" in the air bag. Didn't even know about the valve under the seat. Put air through the valve and Bingo...the rear of the bike started to raise up and the ride with my lady was heaven! I'm guessing that the compressor isn't working but if the air bag holds I don't care. Will be checking pressure periodically to see if it does.

Thanks guys...YOU ROCK!!!
    2014 RTS Limited , Matt Grey

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by R FUN View Post
    It sounds like you have no air in the air bag. If it has the air compressor type then chances are the air compressor has failed which is common. This happened on both mine and my riding buddys, 2012 RTLs . Mine would bottom out the same as yours. There is a shrade valve under the seat which you can air up to 60 to 80 lbs.
    If it does not hold air it is leaking back through the bad compressor. Replacing the compressor at the dealer is very expensive.We just run a air line [about .30 cents worth] from the shrade valve direct to the air bag and the problem was solved, as long as your air bag in good which it should be. You then check it like you check your tires, but we only have to adjust the air about once a year. Good luck , let us know how it turns out
    Roger
    R Fun, this has nothing to do with the subject at hand but, Good Lord, your Spyder is absolutely beautiful in my humble opinion. I've not seen floorboards like yours before; they make your machine really unique. Well done (from someone whose Spyder RT-S is black, black, and black some more).
    2012 2012 RT-L and 3015 RT-S , 2012 - red and 2015 black (way too black)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jwulf74 View Post
    If is that hard I wonder if your air compressor or air bag has failed...
    You would think there would be some indication of that but maybe not.

IF.....you push the hard/soft button and a message pops up "manual adjustment only", then it definitely has failed.

Also, there is a Schrader valve (tire stem) under the seat where you can check the actual pressure in the system.
    With the bike OFF, if you bleed some pressure out of that valve, you should notice the back end drop some.
    When turned ON, it should come back up.

I haven't hit enough big bumps yet to have a valid opinion on the stiffness........or lack of.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Here's a stray thought...
    The ACS will ONLY work if the bike is in gear, and the parking brake has been disengaged.
    Could you have been trying to use it, while stationary?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black