Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default vehicle codes repeating

I have a 2014 RT Limited. A month ago the battery was dead, in the morning, while on a trip. I made a mistake and jumped it with a car, while the car was running. Everything has worked well with no issues, except the headlights burned out while on the trip, shortly after it was jumped. I had the battery checked and it checked OK. reinstalled the battery after it was charged and all was well, until I took it in for oil change, brakes, etc.

They, Octane Outlet, in Batavia, OH, put it on the 'puter and it started giving codes:
    UO100, Active, TCM, 1, 0855h40, Lost communication with ECM (lost of CAN ID's)
    UO122, Active, TCM, 5, 0855h40, Lost communication with VCM (lost of CAN ID's).

They have reset the codes, many times after checking additional electronic switches, etc. and the codes keep coming up. Everything runs great, nothing seems to be compromised. They were supposed to put a new battery in today and I am waiting to hear if there is any change.
    Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this? And if so, how do I get it fixed.
    2015 RT Limited , Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Do you have the Spyder back? If so, turn on the key and push the Mode, Set and Turn Signal Cancel buttons all at the same time. If these codes are indeed still Active they will appear on the screen, if not the screen will be blank. Those codes look like they happened due to the battery being unplugged. There is a lost communication code that can come up just from hooking up to BUDS.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GreenDragon View Post
    I have a 2014 RT Limited. A month ago the battery was dead, in the morning, while on a trip. I made a mistake and jumped it with a car, while the car was running. Everything has worked well with no issues, except the headlights burned out while on the trip, shortly after it was jumped. I had the battery checked and it checked OK. reinstalled the battery after it was charged and all was well, until I took it in for oil change, brakes, etc.

They, Octane Outlet, in Batavia, OH, put it on the 'puter and it started giving codes:
    UO100, Active, TCM, 1, 0855h40, Lost communication with ECM (lost of CAN ID's)
    UO122, Active, TCM, 5, 0855h40, Lost communication with VCM (lost of CAN ID's).

They have reset the codes, many times after checking additional electronic switches, etc. and the codes keep coming up. Everything runs great, nothing seems to be compromised. They were supposed to put a new battery in today and I am waiting to hear if there is any change.
    Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this? And if so, how do I get it fixed.
    Can't help with the codes but unless the cars charging system was malfunctioning the normal voltage for a vehicle is approximately the same as the charging system of your Spyder so that should not harm anything.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ByronM View Post
    Can't help with the codes but unless the cars charging system was malfunctioning the normal voltage for a vehicle is approximately the same as the charging system of your Spyder so that should not harm anything.
    I have been led to believe it is the over amperage of the cars system that is the issue, not the voltage.
    I do not know why it should matter, but that is what the shop says.
    Thanks

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    Do you have the Spyder back? If so, turn on the key and push the Mode, Set and Turn Signal Cancel buttons all at the same time. If these codes are indeed still Active they will appear on the screen, if not the screen will be blank. Those codes look like they happened due to the battery being unplugged. There is a lost communication code that can come up just from hooking up to BUDS.
    I do to have it back as they are still trying to determine why the codes keep popping up as "active".
    Thanks for the info, I will give it a try.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GreenDragon View Post
    I have been led to believe it is the over amperage of the cars system that is the issue, not the voltage.
    I do not know why it should matter, but that is what the shop says.
    Thanks
    My meter is pegged:

B.S. Meter.jpg
    You would have popped fuses, and cooked relays, if it was that...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default i like it !

it does sound like a stored memory fault code error ... I like this fix also ... { not giving much on my end but this has a good sound of explanation to it }

Spyder Garage

I don't know why they are coming back as active codes after reset but the lost communication codes are due to your dead battery...I just installed a new dps unit in my 2011 RTS and i purposely disconnected the battery while working on it to try to clear the codes and I am getting the U0122 as well due to loss of power. I am taking my spider to Octane Outlet tomorrow so they can reset my torque sensor and steering angle sensor so they can communicate with the new dps and system.I must say you are kind of scaring me now lol, octane outlet is the closest dealer to me and I am starting to think maybe they aren't very knowledgeable with the spider being a newer dealership...Hope they get you and me rolling again trouble free....

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

They have had my Spyder for more than three weeks. They are are the same company as Middletown Cycle, same techs, etc. They treat me "nicely" but I am beginning to wonder about the competency.
    I am about ready to tell them to put out back together and bring it home. They are supposed to be installing new LED headlights, but did not want to do that until they figured out the issues with the codes. As of now the headlights are burned out, all four high and low beam.

Spyder Garage

Sorry to hear that! I sure hope they find your issue!! I just got back with mine, I dealt with chris the service manager, I was supposed to drop it off and get it back monday but I explained that I bought a new DPS unit and installed it my self and just needed hooked up to budds and torque and steering angle sensor reset so he did it while i was there....1300.00 dollars and 4 hours of my time but all is good now. They do seem nice but I am leery myself! The spyder is a fun machine but very sophisticated as far as sensors and technology compared to alot of 2 wheelers! I purchased the master tech manual on CD from Green Manuals so i can learn to work on my own as much as possible since its an 2011 and no warranty...My reset went fine, so hopefully they figure yours out!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dallphin View Post
    Sorry to hear that! I sure hope they find your issue!! I just got back with mine, I dealt with chris the service manager, I was supposed to drop it off and get it back monday but I explained that I bought a new DPS unit and installed it my self and just needed hooked up to budds and torque and steering angle sensor reset so he did it while i was there....1300.00 dollars and 4 hours of my time but all is good now. They do seem nice but I am leery myself! The spyder is a fun machine but very sophisticated as far as sensors and technology compared to alot of 2 wheelers! I purchased the master tech manual on CD from Green Manuals so i can learn to work on my own as much as possible since its an 2011 and no warranty...My reset went fine, so hopefully they figure yours out!
    I talked to him, Chris, this morning. Still no resolve and I asked him to perform the 3 button press. He said he would call me if anything changed or showed up. That was this morning and not a word today. I am afraid what the cost of this is going to be if they are spending all these hours and not cure.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Unhappy Happy day for you!

Glad your machine is up and running. Now I know why my is sitting there. They worked on yours!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Green, the RT has a single bulb for the headlights, a shutter drops for low beam and raises for high. But it seems odd that both your bulbs are out especially with a relatively new machine.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Green, the RT has a single bulb for the headlights, a shutter drops for low beam and raises for high. But it seems odd that both your bulbs are out especially with a relatively new machine.
    It has about 35,000 miles on it and this is the second set of bulbs. I did not know that about the high and low beams. I thought the one bulb had two different elements, one for low and both for high. Shows what I know.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Late yesterday Chris from Octane Outlet called to tell me they have "master mechanic" coming this Friday to look at my Spyder. Don't know if that will make any difference. Since everything works, or has up until now, I may just tell them to put it back together and I will pick it up, ride it until something more definitive comes up and it won't run or start or something. Kind of hard to see all those bikes and Spyders out there running around in this wonderful weather and I am not.