Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default noise from my '17 F3 w/1700 miles

A few weeks ago I posted on another thread about loud noise coming from my F3.
    Took it to dealer on 6/26/17 at which time they replaced the following:
    Changed rear wheel
    Replaced rear wheel bearings
    New rear tire
    Drive belt
    Belt tensioner
    Switched out alternator
    Replaced front and rear sprockets
    Nothing changed - so they suggested that I ride it some more to see how it reacted.
    Noise first started mid 40's - now makes noise between 19 and 23 mph - approx. 32/33 mph and from 38 to upper 50,s
    being very loud.
    500 miles later it is getting worse and dealer has contacted BRP. BRP suggests that I either
    get another bike or change the transmission assembly.
    My decision is to get the new trans.
    Anyone out there having similar problems?
    Last edited by tip; 08-03-2017 at 04:33 PM. Reason: wrong title
    [SIGPIC]

Spyder Garage

I have a 2015 F3 SM6 and I have not had any noise issues.
    If BRP is offering a new F3 as a replacement, I would for sure go that route!
    2020 RT Limited
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Default Not sure...

Don't remember the nature of the noise but Wow..!! They changed a lot of stuff but looking like a hunt and peck situation. If the options are a new ryde or a tranny that may not be your problem...go for the new ryde...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default Spyder Whine

I have a 2015 f3s that has developed a whine around lows 40's mph not horrible but I'm sure it didn't do it originally. There is about 5,500 miles on the unit. I will see if it gets worse or spreads to other speed zones before complaining, service coming up late fall probably have dealer check it out while still under warranty. Hopefully not a major issue.

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I agree. New ryde. You may have one of those Monday/Friday builds and this may just be the beginning of issues.
    Hope not, but you never know.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tip View Post
    Changed rear wheel
    New rear tire
    Drive belt
    Belt tensioner
    Switched out alternator
    Nothing changed - so they suggested that I ride it some more to see how it reacted.
    Noise first started mid 40's - now makes noise between 19 and 23 mph - approx. 32/33 mph and from 38 to upper 50,s
    being very loud.
    500 miles later it is getting worse and dealer has contacted BRP. BRP suggests that I either
    Can you post a video of the noise?
    I've been fighting a whine that changes with speed... but is pretty much there all the time. New bearings being done.

I would NOT go for the tranny being changed out.... that's a big job and chances are your local tech has never done it... or done very few. Why wouldn't you want to take them up on a new spyder?

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Can you post a video of the noise?
    I've been fighting a whine that changes with speed... but is pretty much there all the time. New bearings being done.

I would NOT go for the tranny being changed out.... that's a big job and chances are your local tech has never done it... or done very few. Why wouldn't you want to take them up on a new spyder?
    I wondered the same thing. Why on earth would you not want a new Spyder? Does it require you to come up with cash? If so, I can understand that but otherwise I'd definitely go for the new one.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

I take new spyder

Spyder Garage

Default noise

I appreciate the thoughts and views of all responders.
    My F3 had 1229 miles when I first took it to the dealer for repair. After changing everything that rotated from the front pulley back they were stumped.
    I agreed to ride it more to see what happened as far as noise concerns. I now have over 1700 miles and noise shows up at several MORE mph readings.
    If I did not have so much work and time in my ride I would have gone for a new bike - main concerns are : work done and possible WV taxes.
    After changing all of the rotating parts they asked me to test ride a '17 identical to mine ( base model ).It had a whine at 17 mph. Noticeable to me and the
    mechanic. Not for me!
    I am not trying to take advantage of BRP - although they shafted me on my '14 RT. Just fix my bike and let me go.
    Hanover Motosports has been very good to me and I couldn't ask for better service.
    If the new transmission doesn't fix the noise then a new bike is definitely going to happen.
    Thanks again for the thoughts,
    Tip
    [SIGPIC]

Spyder Garage

I would add my F3 has always had some transmission whine, audible at 30-40 mph. I bought it used with around 8000 miles and now has 12000 miles just under 2 years later. Never bothered to have it investigated and out of warranty now anyway.

It just sounds like normal gearbox whine to me, similar to what you get on race cars with straight cut gears. Mine hasn't got any better or worse in the last 2 years / 4000 miles.

Can only hear it on light throttle. Not audible when I'm accelerating hard.
    | 2015 F3-S | Heated Grips | USB Ports | RAM X-Grip | RT Sway Bar | '2 Up' Rear Shock | SHAD Bag Kit | Oxford Aqua 50 Dry Bag | BRP Rider Backrest |

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I also have noise on my F3. One thing I have wondered is that the engine/trans is covered on the RT and not on the F3, that may be normal engine sounds that we are hearing.

Spyder Garage

I appreciate the thoughts and views of all responders.
    My F3 had 1229 miles when I first took it to the dealer for repair. After changing everything that rotated from the front pulley back they were stumped.
    I agreed to ride it more to see what happened as far as noise concerns. I now have over 1700 miles and noise shows up at several MORE mph readings.
    If I did not have so much work and time in my ride I would have gone for a new bike - main concerns are : work done and possible WV taxes.
    After changing all of the rotating parts they asked me to test ride a '17 identical to mine ( base model ).It had a whine at 17 mph. Noticeable to me and the
    mechanic. Not for me!
    I am not trying to take advantage of BRP - although they shafted me on my '14 RT. Just fix my bike and let me go.
    Hanover Motosports has been very good to me and I couldn't ask for better service.
    If the new transmission doesn't fix the noise then a new bike is definitely going to happen.
    Thanks again for the thoughts,
    Tip
    I have a 2016 F3 an I am having the same problem on mine . I have 3,900 miles on it got with BRP rep an they are in contact with my dealer Ride Now power sport Ocala,FL It has been making these noises ever cents I got it. it sounds like my breaks are rubbing at different times, but now it sounds like it is in the rear axle?????????

corbin Lamont cut seat with back rest, graphic gator,Chrome grips, trailer hitch,buttler mug, two brothers exhaust, painted center fender strips. center brake light, Led lights, tricLed fender lights

Registered Users payotee cyotee's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Changed rear wheel
    New rear tire
    Drive belt
    Belt tensioner
    Switched out alternator
    being very loud.
    I have a 2017 limited and now have 3000 miles on it. Other than a little whine and sounding like a sewing machine that needs oil during idle I have no other strange sounds. I would definitely take the new bike. No skin off your dealer nose. Sounds like lemon law will apply to me and that's a factory cost. Good luck.

Spyder Garage

Default 2016 rear wheel noises

My Dealer called an said that BRP is shipping a new real wheel should be here in about five days.

corbin Lamont cut seat with back rest, graphic gator,Chrome grips, trailer hitch,buttler mug, two brothers exhaust, painted center fender strips. center brake light, Led lights, tricLed fender lights

Registered Users spydermanstever's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Whine Noise

I have a 2015 Spyder RT Limited. My annoying whine noise that comes in at between 60-70 km/hr (36-45 mph) and go out completely after that. Right now, I am waiting to get it into a dealer to check it over. Please post if you had this problem and got it resolved.
    SpydermanStever
    2015 CanAm Spyder RT Limited
    Intense Red Pearl

Garmin Montana 650 GPS
    Spyderpops Bumpskid
    BajaRon Anti-Swaybar
    FOBO Tpm's
    Lamonster Lidlox Combo Handlebar Helmet Locks, Spyder Cuff Cup & Phone Holder
    Big Bike Parts Fairing Bra
    Custom Dynamics LED lighting - high mount brake light and all reflectors changed to LED
    WOLO Air Horn
    BRP CB, Satellite Radio, Headset
    BRP RT-622 Trailer

Spyder Garage

Yes, sounds exactly what our 2015 F3 has going on. Our F3 has 6320 miles on it. If BRB offers a new F3 to me, I will sure take them up on it!
    2015 F3 , OEM None Black

Spyder Garage

Default Rear wheel on 2016 f 3

They put a new rear wheel on my F3 today 8-17-17 4040 miles, I test road it problem fixed. Thanks BRP not to bad 5-24-17 to 8-17-17
    Last edited by johnnyg; 08-18-2017 at 06:53 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default '17 F3 noise

Talked to mechanic at dealer's this evening.
    They replaced my transmission and now it still has the loud noise!
    I told them that per our agreement that if this fix did not work that I would accept their offer for a new bike.
    Mechanic says he has a call in to BRP and will call me as soon as he hears from them.
    Maybe BRP can find the problem in their shop.
    Will keep the forum posted,
    Tip
    [SIGPIC]

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

Talked to mechanic at dealer's this evening.
    They replaced my transmission and now it still has the loud noise!
    I told them that per our agreement that if this fix did not work that I would accept their offer for a new bike.
    Mechanic says he has a call in to BRP and will call me as soon as he hears from them.
    Maybe BRP can find the problem in their shop.
    Will keep the forum posted,
    Tip
    Thanks for the update! I hope they get you the new bike quickly.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyg View Post
    They put a new rear wheel on my F3 today 8-17-17 4040 miles, I test road it problem fixed. Thanks BRP not to bad 5-24-17 to 8-17-17
    Did they ever tell you what the original rear wheel had that caused the noise?
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Looks like we will never know what caused the noise or why. How loud was this noise? I wear a full faced helmet with ear plugs so the noise level is cut down a bit.

Spyder Garage

Default noise

The noise gets very loud - even with a full helmet and hearing aids off.
    [SIGPIC]

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DGoebel View Post
    Did they ever tell you what the original rear wheel had that caused the noise?
    this is what they wrote the work order up like this.
    Cause= Run out on wheel, Belt and sprocket are out of spec.
    Cure= Replace wheel, Belt and sprocket. Parts changed out -----Rear wheel, spacer, seal, Rim valve, Belt, screw-hex flange Din.6921 S.GR, Sprocket 28 TH and Ball Bearings . Hope this helps. Ridenow power sports Ocala,Fl

Spyder Garage

Default After all those repairs--more problems in different areas are sure to follow

Changed rear wheel
    New rear tire
    Drive belt
    Belt tensioner
    Switched out alternator
    being very loud.
    Kinda reminds me of changing out the auto air conditioning evaporator, the whole dash needs to be removed, after it's replaced a whole new group of weird problems develop. Some take time but they will occur, you've had too many wrenches on too many assemblies--take the new replacement bike offer.--Good Luck.
    Darrell
    2015 F3's , two 12 volt power outlets Orange & Black

Spyder Garage

Default "17 F3 noise

Well the dealer has finally given up on my Spyder.
    I am supposed to get a new - in crate bike identical to the one I bought.
    The last few days have been very stressful trying to deal with BRP thru the dealer. Dealer claims that BRP will not take the bike
    back so they have to replace and take the loss???
    Anyone know for sure how that works?
    Wish me luck!
    [SIGPIC]