Spyder Garage

Default Getting cell phones to work through the GPS unit

I have been having a problem getting to talk on my cell phone while on the bike. I have the CB unit installed and the GPS unit. I have the phone paired to the GPS and it will ring and I see a call but I can't speak to anyone. The dealer doesn't know how to make the phone work through the intercom system.

In doing some research, I found there is another wire that plugs into the entertainment harness that may make the phone work either through the GPS unit or the intercom system. Does anyone here know if this will actually work or not? Anyone have a similar problem using the phone on the bike. I have a RTS 2016 fully loaded .
    2016 RTS , GPS, entertainment cable. Outlets in trunk and trunk. White

Spyder Garage

Default phone

My bike does the exact same thing. I dont know what the problem is.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Claimbo View Post
    I have been having a problem getting to talk on my cell phone while on the bike. I have the CB unit installed and the GPS unit. I have the phone paired to the GPS and it will ring and I see a call but I can't speak to anyone. The dealer doesn't know how to make the phone work through the intercom system.

In doing some research, I found there is another wire that plugs into the entertainment harness that may make the phone work either through the GPS unit or the intercom system. Does anyone here know if this will actually work or not? Anyone have a similar problem using the phone on the bike. I have a RTS 2016 fully loaded .
    Are you trying to talk thru your helmet headset or what? When I have my old Garmin 550 mounted in the car, it pairs with my BT phone just fine and I talk into the gps itself not the phone. Not sure which GPS you're using and how you're trying to use it in conjunction with the smart phone.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Do you have the cell phone adapter installed? It has a cable that has to plug into the mic in of the GPS, as I understand it.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Smile God and cell phones

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Do you have the cell phone adapter installed? It has a cable that has to plug into the mic in of the GPS, as I understand it.
    No I don't have the extra cable. That's what I was asking about if it would work. I am trying to talk anyway I can. It just doesn't work. Will this additional cable help. I have a sumo 550

Spyder Garage

No I don't have the extra cable. That's what I was asking about if it would work. I am trying to talk anyway I can. It just doesn't work. Will this additional cable help. I have a sumo 550
    You need this adapter, https://can-am.brp.com/spyder/shop/a...face-kit0.html.

It takes the microphone signal from your headset (you are using a wired headset since you have a CB, right?) and sends it to the GPS. The GPS BT communicates two-way with your phone. The GPS you're using does connect to your phone, right, for send and receive?

The setup for the GPS as it comes from the factory only sends the GPS audio into the radio. There is no audio sent to the GPS.
    Last edited by IdahoMtnSpyder; 08-02-2017 at 06:52 PM.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Spyder Garage

Also, you didn't say what phone you have. My android phone has a setting within the bluetooth settings for the connection to the gps. There are check boxes to allow media connection and phone call connection. If the phone connection is not checked, you won't get phone audio.
    2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jetfixer View Post
    Also, you didn't say what phone you have. My android phone has a setting within the bluetooth settings for the connection to the gps. There are check boxes to allow media connection and phone call connection. If the phone connection is not checked, you won't get phone audio.
    My phone is an iPhone 6s. I have it paired to the GPS system, a 550 model. It shows when I have a call but when I take it I can't talk although I can hear. Yes I have the headset wired through the intercom system for the cb. That part works well.

Spyder Garage

My phone is an iPhone 6s. I have it paired to the GPS system, a 550 model. It shows when I have a call but when I take it I can't talk although I can hear. Yes I have the headset wired through the intercom system for the cb. That part works well.
    But, do you have cell phone adapter?

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

Default Cell Phone Problems

My Spyder is a 2016 Limited. I have had the same problem for almost a year. My phone is LG X power. I have a 590 Garmin GPS. My Dealer Ride Now Says they are motorcycle techs not GPS they have never looked at this GPS.. Can Am tells me to go to a shop and have the shop call Them. That will not work if the shop would look at it. I did all I could and got it to a point that I can call and the other party can hear me, but there is second delay when the talk back. I Have been stopping Turning off the bike to make a phone call.

If you find a answer i would be very interested.

Spyder Garage

Default phone problems

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Al View Post
    My Spyder is a 2016 Limited. I have had the same problem for almost a year. My phone is LG X power. I have a 590 Garmin GPS. My Dealer Ride Now Says they are motorcycle techs not GPS they have never looked at this GPS.. Can Am tells me to go to a shop and have the shop call Them. That will not work if the shop would look at it. I did all I could and got it to a point that I can call and the other party can hear me, but there is second delay when the talk back. I Have been stopping Turning off the bike to make a phone call.

If you find a answer i would be very interested.
    I have a 2016 RTL and was having the same problem and after persisting and having the dealer check the connection from the entertaining unit it was discovered that a cable was connected incorrectly, problem now solved.
    Joseph

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The setup for the GPS as it comes from the factory only sends the GPS audio into the radio. There is no audio sent to the GPS.
    Do you have a source for this info? Maybe I overlooked it in the Spyder operator manual?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Do you have a source for this info? Maybe I overlooked it in the Spyder operator manual?
    I don't know that it is in the manual. The GPS installation kit has a cable with only an audio input connector and a power connector. If you have a BT headset you don't need to to concerned about this. Your BT headset connects directly to your phone and separately to your GPS. Alternatively, if you have the BT audio system dongle then the GPS signal goes hardwire into the bike audio and then BTs to your helmet. But you still have to BT your headset to the phone separately.

The wired headset, the original question of this thread, communicates two way into the CB unit only. To use a phone on a Spyder when you have a wired headset you need the extra GPS/CB cable that takes the mic signal from your headset and splits it, sending it to the CB and to the GPS. The GPS has to be capable of receiving voice instructions via microphone. The GPS sends and receives by BT with your phone. The incoming call signal on the phone is sent by the GPS into the bike audio system but the outgoing signal bypasses the bike audio and goes directly from the wired headset mic into the GPS to be sent via BT to the phone.
    Last edited by IdahoMtnSpyder; 12-11-2017 at 12:30 AM.

2014 Copper RTS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I don't know that it is in the manual. The GPS installation kit has a cable with only an audio input connector and a power connector. If you have a BT headset you don't need to to concerned about this. Your BT headset connects directly to your phone and separately to your GPS. Alternatively, if you have the BT audio system dongle then the GPS signal goes hardwire into the bike audio and then BTs to your helmet. But you still have to BT your headset to the phone separately.

The wired headset, the original question of this thread, communicates two way into the CB unit only. To use a phone on a Spyder when you have a wired headset you need the extra GPS/CB cable that takes the mic signal from your headset and splits it, sending it to the CB and to the GPS. The GPS sends and receives by BT with your phone. The incoming call signal on the phone is sent by the GPS into the bike audio system but the outgoing signal bypasses the bike audio and goes directly from the wired headset mic into the GPS to be sent via BT to the phone.
    As usual, a thoughtful, articulate response. Like a breath of clean mountain air. Thank you.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

For what it's worth, when I got my Spyyder with Zumo 590 and purchased a Sena SMH10 from Motorcycle Dave I had a heck of a time getting everything paired so I could use the phone app on the GPS. Sena worked me through the process that worked with the SMH10 Firmware v 5.0. My iPhone 5S was paired to the GPS and to the SMH10 and when I wanted to receive or make a call I used the GPS phone app -- it worked great. Then Sena upgraded the Frimware to v5.1 and things went to . I followed Sena's new instructions and they didn't work worth a hoot. If I received or tried to send a call using the GPS phone app, the connection would be made but neither I nor the other party could hear anything. I struggled with the pairing process for days to no avail. I took a long shot and called Garmin OEM support and the tech there told me I couldn't have the phone paired to both the GPS and the SMH10, I had to choose which pairing I wanted to use. This made some sense to me -- my slow brain figured that the phone/headset pairing and the GPS/phone pairing would be fighting and the result was no transmitting or receiving volume when using the GPS phone app. I chose to pair the SMH10 with the phone. Sena has since upgraded the Firmware to v 5.1.1 and I again had to repair everything and stayed with the iPhone/SMH10 pairing option. I don't have a CB and I also routinely ignore phone calls when I am riding uness the call is from my wife, and then I pull off and return the call. Someday, if I get to feeling real interested in trying the GPS phone app again, I may wipe out all the pairings (I have SM10 also to listen to Spyder radio through my headset) and pair the phone to only the GPS and not to the headset and see what happens. I also could just be too ignorant about Bluetooth pairings to be doing it correctly despite being given explicit pairing instructions from Sena.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

You need the. Well interface plugs into went harness and zingle.thin cable on rd side of gas tank. Mine works fine. Just have to fine tune the settings
    JIM EVANS
    2014 RTL, cb,all panels color matched over 300 LEDs, pass armrests sat radio chrome WS brkt, larger w.s, more to come

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    For what it's worth, .....
    You were probably not only dealing with firmware version caused issues but BT protocol versions. I'm no expert but from I see there are different protocols for stereo one way streaming, two way mono communications, one way mono, two way enabling control signals, and so forth. Not all BT units handle all the different protocols and not all allow more than one connection of the stereo, or one connection of the two way mono. It may not be a jungle, but it certainly is a forest out there!

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

But, do you have cell phone adapter?
    Yes I have the cell phone adapter. I find I can talk through the headset but I can only hear through the GPS. Since there is no way to turn off the radio and it seems the more volume you use the better I hear the person speaking, I wonder if there is another way to configure the phone. I have an iPhone X

Spyder Garage

Yes I have the cell phone adapter. I find I can talk through the headset but I can only hear through the GPS. Since there is no way to turn off the radio and it seems the more volume you use the better I hear the person speaking, I wonder if there is another way to configure the phone. I have an iPhone X
    Anything in this instruction you may have missed? http://instructions.brp.com/content/...mber=219400390

2014 Copper RTS