The Cosmo prototype was available for inspection at the most recent Chicago Motorcycle Show. I had the opportunity to personally view the demonstration. To my knowledge, the unit is self contained and only activates when forward motion ceases. That is the way it appeared to me. The additional functions were supposed to be available for a small monthly fee, but I don't believe those services had any bearing on the brake light functionality of the unit, nor do I believe there were any wireless attachments feeding signals from the bike to the unit. It all seemed very straightforward.

Further, it was explained that one would purchase an additional magnetic mount to transfer the unit from a solo operator to a passenger, rather than the operator and the passenger each having their own unit. Think about it, would you want to be the passenger and have the red light on the rear of the operator's helmet flashing in your face every time the cycle decelerated?

I hope this helps. I have been patiently waiting for US marketing of the product.